Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear question

Sorry if this is a common qustion or something of the sort... anyway heres the story...

My friend, Marshall, just got a 2000 Z28 with an auto tranny. Im not sure what model tranny it is, as Im more of a Mustang peson and not a Camaro, but Ive been wanting to learn more about the LS1's by working on them myself so this is a good oppurtunity.

Anyway, the guy he just bought it from says it has a Flowmaster catback with an 80 series muffler, SLP lid, Z06 chrome wheels wrapped with Nitto 555s 245s up front 275s out back, and 4.10s in the rear differential.

i asked him today what his RPMs were when he manually puts it into 2nd gear and sits at 25mph. He said they were at about 2600-2700, so roughly 2650rpms. What would these gears be? Im just trying to help him out because I dont want him going around telling people that he has somehting that he may not have...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car would have come with a 4L60E.

According to this gear calculator (link below) and with stock size tires and 4.11s, the car should be around 2200 rpm in second gear at 25 mph.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

(we are assuming locked converter.)

To determine what gear is in the car, it's probably a best to remove the dif cover and count the teeth on the pinion and ring. Another way is to compare wheel revolutions v. pinion revolutions.

Another thing you might want to do is have him drive side by side at equal speed with someone that has a speedo known to be accurate. If someone popped 4.11s in his car and did not correct the speedo, of course the speedo will read higher than actual speed.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Teching In

yeah. I know of all the little tricks to find it out, but I dont htink hed be willing to let me do that because he doesnt want to be proven wrong (if he is wrong). I mean, Im not saying I dont trust him, but its a used car. It couldve been just a selling point when the guy was trying to get rid of it...

By the way, he has Z06 wheels that are 18X9...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Teching In

By the way, that is best gear calculator Ive seen. Thanks a ton.