Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted a leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Busted a leak

I was driving down the road to go to the house, and I smelled a really strong scent of transmission fluid. So I pulled over and sure enough it was puddling under my car. It was like pouring out. I looked behind me and it was as far up the road as I could see. I did a little inspecting and found it to be coming from the fitting coming out of the transmission to the trans cooler lines. I just spent 2500 on this transmission from FLT like less than a month ago and I hope it didnt burn it up, especially for something that I didnt do. I had to add about 4 quarts in the parking lot. It drove home ok, but it was only at like 140 degrees when I got it home. It shifted ok during that time period though.

What should be my first step?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

check the lines to see why they are leaking at that fitting, might be loose? o.ring?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing to do is to determine exactly where the leak is. Not pointing fingers here in any way, but I highly doubt that the fitting is to blame here. If properly installed, the transmissions cooler line should just simply snap into the fitting. They are made this way for quick disconnect and also for installation. When installing one of these style cooler lines never remove the clip to install the transmission cooler line. These are brand new fittings with the clips already installed and are tested here when we Dyno your transmission. I would suspect if that is where the leak is, that either the line was not fully installed, the clip was removed to install the line and then reinstalled not holding the line in place correctly or the line has a small crack on the barb portion of the line. As long as the trans did not neutral I would think that it will be fine. First thing to do is get the car in the air and verify where the leak is. Feel free to PM me or call me with any questions and also to let me know what you find. I will be in the shop for some time today. I would not drive this car until this is resolved. Thanks. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 08-09-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added info for the OP
Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Got it up in the air today. The leak was actually coming from my cooler which somehow or another busted? It blew fluid all over the underside of the car and at night time from beside the car looked like it was coming from the side of the trans. It was brand new I put it on yesterday. B&M supercooler 24k. Thankfully the car is still driveable, but it doesnt have the feel it did. Im sure some of the clutches are a little burnt up. Thanks B&M!