Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several 4L60E questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Several 4L60E questions

Just picked up a recently rebuilt (5K miles) 4L60E to go behind a '99 LS1 in my '72 Chevy C10 project. Now that I have it, I need to know some stuff about it.

1. Based on the code (5FCD144B) stamped on the tranny near the tailshaft, the tranny is from a '96 F-body with 3.8L engine, which matches what the seller told me. From what I've gathered, these trannies are all pretty much the same regardless of application, but if I'm wrong I really need to know! Any problem putting it behind an LS1?

2. What upgrades should I make as long as the tranny is clean and out of the vehicle? It was rebuilt to stock specs. I absolutely do not want to disassemble everything, but I can handle a fair amount of labor as long as I'm not going to need specialized tools or years of experience to get it reassembled. From my reading I'm thinking a Transgo shift kit and separator plate, Corvette servo. Right? Anything else? My plan for the LS1 is to use the TSP MS3 cam that I've got sitting in a closet, shorty headers, and MAYBE some head work if the budget allows. Nothing huge.

3. The LS1 I have is currently mated to the T56 that came from the donor, a low-mile '99 Z28. I've got the computer from that car. I also have LS1edit, which I've never actually used. (Don't ask.) Can I reprogram the manual computer to run the auto tranny or do I need to track down an auto tranny computer? Will one of these computers even work with the '96 tranny? I hope like heck the answer is yes!

4. Any thoughts on a torque converter for this setup? The truck will be purely for street driving, no racing at the track. Looking for recommendations on stall and manufacturer.

Thanks for any guidance. I'm still groping around blindly in this world of fuel-injected, computer-controlled engines and glad there's a friendly, knowledgeable group here that can set me on the right path.

Thanks again,
Brent
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

if its a 3.8 v6 tranny it will not bolt to and ls1 period from a 96 year.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

What? I thought V6 and V8 bolt patterns were the same. For pete's sake....

Oh, crud -- the 3.8L is a 60° engine, isn't it? Not a 90° like the 4.3L and V8s. Godd****.

Last edited by brossow; 08-09-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

So now that I've blown what meager budget I had left, any way to make something like this work for me? Quoted from the Craigslist ad:

GM Chevy/GMC transmission,4WD completely rebuilt to stock all internals new clutches,steels,o-rings,washers 0 miles,came from 98' S-10 blazer, but with fit 98' and up s-trucks and full size with 4WD,guaranteed
I know I'd need to swap some stuff (output shaft and housing?), but would this at least give me a start in the right direction? The price on the one above is right and now I can't afford (literally) to screw up again. If this will work with some fairly simple parts swapping, I want to go buy it NOW before someone else does.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure if it has a removeable bellhousing it can be made to work. I think with just a LS1 bell, input, pump, tail housing. Edit: it says with 4 wheel drive too so you need a two wheel drive output and tail housing.

It's kind of weird how everything on craigslist has just been rebuilt.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

you need a trans that if your vehicle 2wd which I assume came from a 98 up camaro or trans am or a 98 up truck with a 5.3 or 6.0 engine.The s10 trans would have been behind a 4.3 which is and LT1 block style and would require converter adapter and a near complete tear down to replace the 4X4 output shaft ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

It's kind of weird how everything on craigslist has just been rebuilt.

I have noticed that too everyone wants to sell there just rebuilt transmission

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
you need a trans that if your vehicle 2wd which I assume came from a 98 up camaro or trans am or a 98 up truck with a 5.3 or 6.0 engine.The s10 trans would have been behind a 4.3 which is and LT1 block style and would require converter adapter and a near complete tear down to replace the 4X4 output shaft ,
Good info. Thanks! Guess I just need to keep looking for an LS-series auto. How depressing....

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I have noticed that too everyone wants to sell there just rebuilt transmission
In this case, the guy wrecked the truck it was going into and has full documentation of the rebuild. But yeah, I've noticed that. And prices vary wildly.