Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny doesn't downshift into first at stop (2nd)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny doesn't downshift into first at stop (2nd)

Hey guys,

I just installed a SS3600 Yank Torque Converter and took it out today for a test drive.

Everything seems to work excellent short of needing some part throttle shift points and lockup points moved up in the tranny tune (doing this week).

Anyhow, one wierd thing I notice is that when coming to a stop it will downshift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd and stay stopped at second????

It just seems after the car initially shifts into second it doesn't come back into first unless I manually pull it back or bump it into neutral or park. 1-2 shift is excellent. I haven't done a 2-1 kickdown WOT because i'm waiting on a tune so I don't know if it will drop down or not. But the upshift is firm and crisp.

Is this something in the tune? or is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks. (BTW tranny has 40,000 miles on it and shifts excellent)
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys, figured the problem out: = USER ERROR.

I've been babying this thing since the converter install until I get a tune to work on tranny shifts... and that was my problem.

I was taking off from stop lights with VERY low throttle (say 10%), and the transmission was shifting into 2nd basically right as soon as I hit the gas.

I have LT/ORY/GMMG so it's loud regardless not to mention factory tranny tune so they seem slow with a stall as well.

So anyhow, no problem; I just need to get the shift points adjusted on this bastard fast.

Didn't think it was really worth posting, but maybe somebody else out there felt like **** was screwed up when in reality it's just the fact my transmission is "CONFUSED" right now...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that must have been funny...Start out from stop sign, hit gas...vroo, shift
Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
that must have been funny...Start out from stop sign, hit gas...vroo, shift
Just a follow up on this. It wasn't in my head. I guess according to some tranny guys the 2000-2002 model year LS1 cars held 2nd gear even at a stop when you had the car selector in 2nd.

I guess this helps with winter driving? Giving you the ability to cut your torque off the line on ice or winter?

Anyhow, just figured i'd throw that in just in case anybody ever ran into this and was freaking out.