Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Leak

I installed a B&M shift kit, and I was never able to get the pan sealed correctly. I have tried 3 different gaskets AND a wix gasket that was suggested in a thread I found when searching. Am I pretty much screwed? do I have to buy a new pan? Could I possibly just use a sealant or liquid gasket, would that possibly keep it from leaking? I am going slowly insane over this stupid thing, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Bump, anybody?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Teching In

well i think you should get a pan. You made sure the mounting area for the gasket is clean before installing the gasket..and also i am not insulting your intelligence or anything..but are you sure you have been installing the gaskets the right way?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the pan is a little warped o bent straighten then try a cork gasket the are a bit more forgiving when theres not a true surface, Do not use sealer of any kind and don't over tighten . Thats a very common mistake.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PumaZ
I installed a B&M shift kit, and I was never able to get the pan sealed correctly. I have tried 3 different gaskets AND a wix gasket that was suggested in a thread I found when searching. Am I pretty much screwed? do I have to buy a new pan? Could I possibly just use a sealant or liquid gasket, would that possibly keep it from leaking? I am going slowly insane over this stupid thing, so any help would be appreciated.
Back in my tranny shop days, leaking pans were usually caused by the dimples around the bolt holes caused by over tightening. Look closely at the area around the bolt holes and see if it is flat. If its not you can lay the sealing lip of the pan on a hard flat surface and tap directly on the hole with a ball peen hammer to flatten it back out. Also, sometimes people will take out all the bolts except one corner and pull down on the pan, bending that one corner enough that it doesn't seal well. You can also go to a tranny shop and buy one of those black fiber gaskets. They are way better than those cheapie cork gaskets included in filter kits. The cork ones will pinch pretty easily, the fiber ones won't.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips guys, I made sure the mounting surface and pan top were spotless, had a friend work on the pan for a little while with a body hammer, and used a wix black fiber gasket. We also torqued it to 7 pounds with a torque wrench. I did it a couple times by myself, then with my buddy who has done it countless times, and it's still leaking. Guess I am in for a new pan. thanks again for your guys suggestions.