Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L iron, 4L60E, what flex plate..what converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L iron, 4L60E, what flex plate..what converter?

Ok, here's what i've got. Iron 6.0L block and crank that came out of a truck with a 4L80. the crankshaft sticks out past the seal and cover about a half an inch. or so. The motor came with the flat 4l80 flex plate. other Ls1 blocks i've seen do not have a crankshaft that sticks out. I want to run a 4l60e or 4l65e. I wont' make more than 550 naturally aspirated HP.

it's a cruiser that i will drive on the street and maybe see how fast it will go at the track a couple of times a year. They local trany guy said I would be fine to run 4l60e. he would build a stage 3, he said. so the first trany and daaco converter he built, started jerking from a dead stop after about 500 miles. we tried everything including changing the valve body with no change to the symptom. took out the trany. Trany builder asked me if crankshaft endplay was excessive. Checked it. it's a new build. .007 to spec. Trany builder said must have been a bad converter. OK. so he rebuilt the trany got a new 300MM Daaco antiballooning converter 2800 to 3200 stall. tried to install it......no clearance at the converter and flexplate. I didn't have that clearance problem before. what's the deal. I don't think he knows what parts are compatible. I've been told not to use Daaco converters cause there are junk. could someone please give some insight to what i should do!!!!!
is there a difference in crankshafts from 6.0L with a flate flexplate and Ls1 with a dished flex plate. My clearance from block surface to flex plate mouting hole is 1 inch. The crank sticks out past the seal and cover about a half an inch. I don't know what to do!@##$%$%$
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that motor will only work with an 80. I have read many threads on the truck forum on this topic.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon people.......????????????
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

what you see sticking out is a .400" spacer, and prob had a flat flywheel, if it had a 4l80e hooked to it-look at the end of the crank/spacer, there are 2 threaded holes, you can screw in a couple metric bolts, or use a tap(i think 11 mm, forgot) and pull the spacer off, then use 4l60e flywheel/converter-
the .400 spacer and flat flywheel will work for turbo 350's, 400's, and i think 700r's, so dont throw it away-also if you had the bolts that held the flywheel on, keep them also, their longer for use on the spacer
this is as much as i know anyway

Quick Reply: 6.0L iron, 4L60E, what flex plate..what converter?