Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans problems...........what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems...........what do you think?

Well tonight I went out and drove the car around in town. I did maybe 4 WOT through the middle of second. After about 1 hr of driving its started slipping some then everything quit. I can shut the car off and let it cool down for about 5-10min and it will move about 3/4-1 mile and slip and not pull any, even reverse. This is what my 97 GTP did after I put the new trans in and a 3500 protorque stall and it ended up being the converter that took a ****. What do you guys think?

Oh i had dust cover(or whatever its called) off when i changed plugs and the TC is paint silver and doesnt look stock. also it feels like the trans has some sort of shift in it. it shifts pretty firm.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure what your up against there... but normally our 4l60e's don't just go out all at once with none of the gears working. Could be the converter....?
This is stupid to say, but what you're explaining sounds like a trans without fluid in it... but I'm sure you've checked your fluid...?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would drop the pan and see if it is full of debris. Sounds like the filter is getting full of crap. You shut it down and the stuff loosens up then falls to the bottom of the pan. You fire it back up and repeat the process. I would suspect that the trans or the converter are on their way out. Vince
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Im going to go get it today. I left it at a walmart over night. Im going to pull the pan and see if there is any debris in there.