Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened? I hate my car.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened? I hate my car.....

So I was heading to the track all ready to race this shitbox for the first time this year. Finally got the spray in and dynoed. Anyways, Im driving 2 days ago and was getting a misfire code. I noticed my TCI 3600 stall, which was built for nitrous would not lock up and the SES light was flashing. I didnt drive too far and the next day fixed the misfire problem which corrected the lockup. Everything felt fine until i left for the track. I was cruising perfectly normal, it ****** into 4th and the stall locked but it made the whole car vibrate badly. So i'm like wtf? I try it again, same thing.. I put it into 3 so the converter would not lock up and it felt fine no vibrations, then i heard a few squeeks and then... a really bad grinding sound. I pulled over immediately and now the car will not move at ALL. Tranny fluid seemed fine, normal level, not really burnt, smelled okay. Got underneath and it appears all the converter bolts are in as well. It makes the noise when i start it like a rattle coming from either the tranny or stall, doesn't change when i shift from p,d,r. I am just getting the worst luck in the world, it's not fair... Im on my third tranny, third rear.. Any opinions?? Do you think it is the stall? The tranny was just put in during the winter, it's a low mileage 4l60e with a probuilt kit, shift kit, etc. It has always been fine, same with the stall.. Oh and this all came after i left the dyno.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the converter clutch failed and unfortunately likely damaged the trans , Thats why I usually push for people to buy the trans and the converter from the same people when possible.
Dont sound good

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds like the converter clutch failed and unfortunately likely damaged the trans , Thats why I usually push for people to buy the trans and the converter from the same people when possible.
Dont sound good
Damn... I give up with this car i that's the case. How can I tell without dropping the trans that this is the problem?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Drop the pan evidence should be there, it is not the car that the issue its trying to go the cheapest way possible that probably the issue, I hate to say it but thats what goes wrong in many cases, When it comes to performance cars there is no such thing as cheap been doing this for 30 years and thats something I have learned. Let me know if I can be of any help

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the converter clutch failed, you can pop off the cover on the trans and use a flash light to look in. If it failed, then you should see a burnt ring around the front of the converter due to the excessive heat that was built up.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Some times but there are other failures that wont show that with a converter, for instance the clutch lining just riping off i have seen this,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

How are you on your 3rd rear end?! are being smart, and putting the same stock 10bolt back in it, then spraying it? Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about your luck man. That sucks.

Last edited by Domexitium; 08-24-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

well unfortunately i can't afford to buy a 12 bolt and a built transmission. That's around $4 grand! I realize these stock tranny's and rears are cheap but I havent even sprayed through them yet and they broke on basically stock power. I think ill put a stock tranny in and sell this thing before something else breaks.. lol.. well thanks for the advice guys
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I think the big thing is that if you want a performance car and if you want to play its going to cost money like any hobby. Theres no free ride and no free fun. You wanna go fast it cost money I had to learn that years ago myself but hey I like going fast lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rebuilt trans that i have that i replaced with my performabuilt trans (thanks frank!)