Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank PY3400 questions...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yank PY3400 questions...........

Is anyone running this converter and how do you like it?

What mods do you have done?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one since Dec of last year. So far I like it. It is definitely a 'tight' feeling convertor. My old convertor was an SY3500, which I really liked. It actually held pretty well with the blower, but since I changed out my tranny, I figured I better go with a more FI friendly convertor.

From a stop, it hits pretty hard, but it doesn't seem to pull quite as hard from a roll as my SY did. That might just be my imagination though.

Gary
Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one in a truck, didn't like it, way too tight, and didn't pull up top. And then it broke.... Good luck
Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Thanks Gary!

That's pretty much the situation that I'm in and I've got the same SY3500 that you had in, so that's the type of info that will help me!

Which converter do you like better? Are you happy with the switch? What are you running for tires?

I'm putting down similar power and thought that a tighter converter might help me out. I don't track my car at all, so that's not a factor.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by built408
I had one in a truck, didn't like it, way too tight, and didn't pull up top. And then it broke.... Good luck

Thanks!

I've gotten used to my looser SY and like how it drives and also how I can drive around on my drag radials and know that if I step on it, it'll go without burning them off, so it sounds like the PY3400 might not be the right choice for me.

Thanks Guys for the info and Please Have a Great day!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running one. Car drives good around town, nice and tight. It's really too tight at the track, but that's one of the compromises. As far as not pulling up top, I pulled a zx14 a couple weeks ago at about 150-160. So I'd say it works good up top too.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem.

Overall, I like the SY3500 better. But, not by a huge margin. I tend to like the looser feeling vertors, and I was strongly leaning towards the PY3600E. Yank said it would be slightly looser than the SY3500, but I really couldn't find too many people that ran it, so I held back and went for the recomended 3400.

But, now I have piece of mind knowing I have the right convertor for the job, and when I go forged with more boost, I'll know (hope) it'll hold.

BTW, I don't track my car either. It is now just a fun weekend street car. I run standard street tires (Nitto 555), and they most definitely couldn't hold the SY3500, let alone the PY3400. It's sure fun practicing launching though!

Good luck in your decision.

Gary