Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Transmission Rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Transmission Rebuilder

Hey guys recently i blew my motor up in my car right after i got it painted. and decided to go all out with the motor. while waiting to put the motor back in it was noticed that my tranny pump was missing a tooth for the converter to turn the tranny pump. the decision was then made to rebuild the tranny. i got this guy of mine you may call him a friend that i have rebuilding it for me. when i went over there the other day to check the progress of the tranny this is what i found. he told me right before i got over there that he was about to put it together. i saw numerous transmission parts scattered across the shop, which isnt a big deal to me because i know things happen.I found my transmission gutted sitting in a trash can with all kinds of trash in it from beer boxes to chicken legs. i mean what have i got myself into. i was PISSED OFF when i found the rest of my parts sitting outside for who knows how long and with some type of dry all stuck on them and inside of them. and these are the parts going back into the transmission. the only parts that he has told me that i need to replace would be the 3/4 clutch pak everything else he said was good including the pump. he told me that the pump could be driving by the converter off of one ear and i shouldnt have any problem with it, and also that it was a waste of money. i wont be able to go back down toward his place until next week and by this time he will have it fininshed, i just dont want to go through all the trouble of putting in back and and then catastrophy strikes. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Even if he cleans them well who is to say that all the debris is out of them. he was a little cheaper than everyone else, but when i saw this i am begginning to wonder if i should have taken it to a professional. i can only imagine how this transmission will work or if at all. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have taken my stuff right then and there. Those pic's with the oil dry or what ever the hell it was made me laugh. ROOOOKIE! Also a pump that has only one lug left on the pump rotor is damaged and needs to be replaced. This guy has no clue to what he is talking about. Get your stuff and buy a trans from a professional. Sorry for the harsh post. Vince
Old 09-06-2008, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree get you car/trans whatever away from there though I doubt the trans is even salvageable now and just buy a trans from a sponsor on this board whichever is fine as long as you get it away from there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Angry Tranny

I would take it back but he has all my parts already and i cant make it down there to get it. do i tell him i dont want him to rebuild it or do i try and put it in when i get it back and see how it works. i really dont want to go through the trouble of putting it back in if i have any doubt that it wont work. what type of price should i have to pay forsomeone to go back through it and replace the pump as well
Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would tell him not to build it and get one of us sponsors to build you a proven unit. Preferably FLT! Seriously the fact that the pump is damaged, he says it ok, scares me as to what guys are doing out there. I would look elsewhere. Vince
Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by th41427
I would take it back but he has all my parts already and i cant make it down there to get it. do i tell him i dont want him to rebuild it or do i try and put it in when i get it back and see how it works. i really dont want to go through the trouble of putting it back in if i have any doubt that it wont work. what type of price should i have to pay for someone to go back through it and replace the pump as well
You wont find to many people willing to go back through it and from the looks of things its still gonna need alot more than a pump when its done.
What confuses me though and I see it alot , I look at peoples signature an I see the mods. Expensive mods but when it comes to the transmission "go to the backyard guy for the cheapest price you can get" and it does not make sense to me. All the mods you make to the car, Everyone depend on the trans and converter to make them of any use at all. So why is it I see so many try the cheap way out and end up in situations like this or similar rather than just get a trans from one of the sponsors here where they know they will get a quality unit that will be stood behind , It just does not make sense to me "heads and cam" cost more than a trans and converter from most any sponsor here why is it a transmission is viewed differently.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You wont find to many people willing to go back through it and from the looks of things its still gonna need alot more than a pump when its done.
What confuses me though and I see it alot , I look at peoples signature an I see the mods. Expensive mods but when it comes to the transmission "go to the backyard guy for the cheapest price you can get" and it does not make sense to me. All the mods you make to the car, Everyone depend on the trans and converter to make them of any use at all. So why is it I see so many try the cheap way out and end up in situations like this or similar rather than just get a trans from one of the sponsors here where they know they will get a quality unit that will be stood behind , It just does not make sense to me "heads and cam" cost more than a trans and converter from most any sponsor here why is it a transmission is viewed differently.
Well i thought that this "friend" of mine knew what he was doing and that i could catch a good deal by letting him do it. i guess i was wrong. you right i have a lot of money in the motor whats another two grand or so for a tranny, well thats it, its a another two grand and i am ready to get this thing back on the road with out having to dish out more MONEY. I dont want to mess up the friendship but i dont want to have to go through the down time again either. thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

One thing that generally holds true is "don't do business with friends or family" Many times you will not end up with what you wanted and you will also no longer have friend and when it comes to family well your stuck with them anyway they just become the one you cant get along with.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do it nothing else if you want to bow out gracefully pay him for the parts he can show you he bought and tell him after thinking it over you would rather get one from a sponsor here so you will have the warranty and eliminate possible downtime.
IMO you will save money in the end going that route. And probably a friendship which may be of more value than the car or the trans in the long run.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That has got to be one of the scariest build pictures I have ever seen. I would definitely pick it up and get a sponsor to help you out. The parts were literally thrown in the yard and trash can, WOW!!. This gives a new meaning for the term backyard builder.

Chris
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Circle-D
That has got to be one of the scariest build pictures I have ever seen. I would definitely pick it up and get a sponsor to help you out. The parts were literally thrown in the yard and trash can, WOW!!. This gives a new meaning for the term backyard builder.

Chris
yes you are right i was thinking the same thing when i saw what i did when i got there. but i guess you learn from your mistakes and this was definitly a mistake i just dont know what to do to come out good on both sides of the fence.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Launching!

First of all a disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about rebuilding automatic transmissions.

However, if he really is a friend, why not talk to him about it? If he's not that close of a friend that he could handle that, you need new friends.

Anyhow, anyone that handles _your_ parts like that couldn't (literally) care less about _your_ parts or how they perform.

Anyone that would want money from me for doing that to my parts would get a very rude awakening.

Geez...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Default trashcan

I hope you AT LEAST paid him for the trashcan that he used to rebuild your transmission with.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please tell me this is a joke. It almost can't be real.lol.

If it is.....run and I mean run far away from this guy. Start fresh with one of our sponsors here. That core isn't worth going back for anyhow.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Please tell me this is a joke. It almost can't be real.lol.

If it is.....run and I mean run far away from this guy. Start fresh with one of our sponsors here. That core isn't worth going back for anyhow.

lol..u aint lying james!!! this is total disrespect to our sponsors..
Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if that was your car in the pics then go get that thing ASAP before it too is sitting in a trash can. and call the better business bureu ??sp?? if this is running a shop.