Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This a quality 700R4 rebuilt kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This a quality 700R4 rebuilt kit?

Since my trans case is cracked and it was recommended by some of you to just rebuilt it when switching the cases, I went looking. Is this a good kit to go with? Does it have the seals and everything I need to do it? Any special tools needed?

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...=AHP35003RK-S2

There's these 2 as well if that isn't recommended, that's just the "best" one I assume lol Not sure what the -S2 means as apposed to -S1.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...60-700R4HPkits

Application will be my 93 Firebird, sig is mostly accurate. No 58mm atm, 3.42s now and tires will just be 245/45R16 Eagle GS-C, but currently have DRs on it. Those will be coming off soon though.

Thanks

Last edited by Formula350; 09-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks to me like you're only getting clutches and steels. All the parts in the transmission will still essentially be the same. You're not swapping anything else out. I'm not an expert by any means, but if you're going to take the time to rebuild a transmission, it seems silly to just do the clutches and steels. If you're going to go through all that work, you may as well do it all.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It looks to me like you're only getting clutches and steels. All the parts in the transmission will still essentially be the same. You're not swapping anything else out. I'm not an expert by any means, but if you're going to take the time to rebuild a transmission, it seems silly to just do the clutches and steels. If you're going to go through all that work, you may as well do it all.
Well right, that's why I asked. It says it's a Master Kit though, and I figured then it would include everything. If not, I'll keep looking.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds like a pretty good kit. your getting red clutches all steels,a corvette servo it sounds like your getting a boost valve, filter bushings and acc. pistons. plus it will have all your gaskets seals sealing rings or molded pistons. every thing needed to do a good rebuild. i cant think of any rebuild kit that comes with any hard parts.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAM
this sounds like a pretty good kit. your getting red clutches all steels,a corvette servo it sounds like your getting a boost valve, filter bushings and acc. pistons. plus it will have all your gaskets seals sealing rings or molded pistons. every thing needed to do a good rebuild. i cant think of any rebuild kit that comes with any hard parts.
What I'm saying is I think it would be a waste if the other hard parts weren't upgraded, too. The sunshell, the low roller clutch, a shift kit, a new pump and probably about 10 other things should be redone along with it to justify the time and effort it takes to rebuild one of these trannies. Doing this kit alone won't make your trans any stronger.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
What I'm saying is I think it would be a waste if the other hard parts weren't upgraded, too. The sunshell, the low roller clutch, a shift kit, a new pump and probably about 10 other things should be redone along with it to justify the time and effort it takes to rebuild one of these trannies. Doing this kit alone won't make your trans any stronger.
Well according to the seller of the trans I got, it had a rebuild 6000 miles ago. I get it and the rear housing around the bearing for the output shaft had a crack. He ASSURES me that it didn't have that when shipped and he looked, and it was due to shipping. I doubt both of that, but whatever. It's been too long to dispute it with PayPal and I got the shipping free since my friend's brother works for a freight company. So in another thread they said if I was going to just switch the cases I might as well rebuild it, just in case. So that's where the kit comes in. I've already got $550 into this thing and I'm not going to use it with a huge crack in the back end, so I have to swap cases on the damn thing and spend MORE money. I'm going to see if this guy will at least pay $175 for that kit, or else I'll just be pissed and finally give him a bad score on the forums here