Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird 1-2 upshift. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird 1-2 upshift. HELP

Alright guys. Well I finally got the car back together after the new engine. I finally got on it today when leaving work and it did something it hasn't done before. Rolling along at 20 mph, I put it to the floor and it squats down and just starts boiling the hides, hits the rev limiter(7k), pauses, then gets back to going. Yesterday I got on it (not WOT) and it was spinning the tires, but just tickled the limiter and kept on going, no pause. It is untuned since the new engine, but has a tune from the old cam/heads. The trans is a FLT Level 4 w/3600 Yank (has about 8k on it) has not once ever given me a single doubt. The tune before was spot on and the shifts were firm and dead on the money at 6250-300 don't remember exactly.

Now I will say, this combo is quite a bit more powerful than the last and it would never, and I mean never roast the tires from a slow roll like it does now (315-35-17 drag radials). It did also have a small issue when I was on it when it went to shift into 3rd (a lil over 1/2 throttle) yesterday and the tach was acting up(bouncing around)

Is the tune not being spot on causing this?
Does it stem from the engine spinning up so much quicker than before?

I have had some issues with the tach jumping around (it was today when this happened, but it could have also been from it hitting the limiter) I have had an issue with both the tach and speedo doing wierd **** since I got it running again, but had quit for the last couple days.

HELP
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The tach jumping would be from the limiter, You have to bear in mind you have increased power apparently substantially the tuning that was adequate for the previous engine and shift times will not e ideal or correct for you present combo .
1-Trans at WOT takes exactly the same amount of time to shift every time
2- If you increase power or change rear ends or any thing that makes the RPM increase at a faster rate then you have to adjust for that. Since the trans is still taking the same amount of time to make the shift as it did before but your RPMs are rising faster.
So IMO yes the engine spinning up faster is the cause.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it just had something to do with the tune.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Well a loose ground came up last night. The one on the back of the driver's cylinder head. Got it tightened back up and now it idles like a champ and the tach is reading normal again.

BUT it was NOT the 1-2 shift, its when going into 3rd that it wants to not shift when really on it like I described in the first post. So hopefully, like you said that its all in the tune. I fixed the ground, but didn't have a chance to give it a run this morning.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would be the tune will solve your other problems

Call 888-744-6542