Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 destruction in my 5.3 Turbo Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TH400 destruction in my 5.3 Turbo Truck

I have 24 hours of drive time (about 2 months) on my project with minimal problems. My buddy and I were tuning my truck on the highway a few days ago. He was doing 3rd gear pulls while I was tuning. On the last pull the trans felt like it was being held back during engine braking. Then during light accel. We pulled over and there was trans fluid all under the truck and on the backside of the engine. We limped it back to the shop and had 1st and 2nd but third would act like someone was applying the brakes. At first I thought maybe a broken sprag in the converter, but it only did it in third, so that ruled that thought. Also Third is the only gear with engine braking. 1st and 2nd don't because I removed the intermediate band as part of the Transbrake kit.
Once I got back to the shop I put it in the air and found fluid everywhere, but no source. Did it comeout of the vent? whos knows. Cleaned up the area and topped off the fluid. (2 qts low) now I have 1st and Third, but no reverse, no second and no transbrake.(but the solenoid moves) Not sure whats going on....kinda sounds like cross channel leaks or something.
I had time today to pull the trans and take it apart. I usally take home a bunch of tools from work because I have a limited selection in the garage at home. But I didnt remember any of that on friday and ended up pulling the trans with all hand tools, which I havent done since I was 16. Alot of people do work at home without lifts and air tools. More power to you, because I was bitching. Before I pulled it I dropped the pan to see if there was debris. Look for yourself!

I was pretty sure what to expect when I got it opened up. Looked like broken case "lugs" in the pan.

Pics of trans removed and on the stand.

So, I was right. Broken Case lugs, Destroyed reverse band. Whole trans is fucked. Time to buy another and rebuild!
Here are the pics!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang dude that stinks. I feel your pain
Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news is I had just under $600 bucks in this thing, and can still reuse the valve body. So the sucky part is it will be down for a little bit, while I find a cheap trans to rebuild and hope to get it all done and dialed in to take it to New England Dragway, before the season ends!

Quick Reply: TH400 destruction in my 5.3 Turbo Truck