Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 4L80E Questions

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More 4L80E Questions

OK, I have been reading and searching on this forum for the last 3.5 hrs straight and my damn eyes are crossed....anyways, I keep reading about a manual 4l80e. What I want to know is what is that? I mean, an electronic shifts the same as a non electronic one, but with a computer instead of detent ***** right? On the electric one, you can still use the shifter to put it in 1, 2, 3, d, od and so forth and so on right? Also, I am putting this in my jeep rockcrawler so I was wondering what kind of shifter I can use. It will be a floor mount shifter, so can I use like a lokar shifter or an Art car shifter?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a it's manual valve body, meaning there is no computer control. It only shifts when you move the shifter.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
a it's manual valve body, meaning there is no computer control. It only shifts when you move the shifter.

So if you put it in the D position, it wont shift through all the gears? You would have to shift through 1,2,3,& D?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct. You have to put it in the gear you want. It will not shift any gear.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Uggg...guess I am keeping it electronic.....
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

I have a full manual 4L80e. I love it. It is a truck transmission so I am sure you could find a floor shifter for it. I think it would be pretty ideal to be able to control what gear you are in for rock crawling but then again what do I know I like to go fast not, um, up I guess lol.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I have a full manual 4L80e. I love it. It is a truck transmission so I am sure you could find a floor shifter for it. I think it would be pretty ideal to be able to control what gear you are in for rock crawling but then again what do I know I like to go fast not, um, up I guess lol.

Yeah that is actually a great thing, but even if it is electronic, you will still be able to keep it in what ever gear by shifting to that gear right? My thing is, I dont want to go cruising down the road and have to shift through every gear...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

I think an auto valve body with a HD-2 shift kit will give you what you are looking for. That's what my builder said it would do, but I haven't put the trans in yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this week.

Search this Thread