Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Race Operations at ACE Racing Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update on Race Operations at ACE Racing Transmissions

As many of you know I have spent an obscene amount of time at Race Tracks this Season. So, I thought I would bring you guys up to speed with some of the cars I've been working with.

We have several clients who are going fast these days. Keep in mind that all the cars are running on an 1/8 mile track, Tx. Raceway, Red Line and Northstar. Some of these cars I have photos of, some I do not. I'll be updating this thread as I get photos just to give you an idea of some of the hardware we're handling.

Here's a little background first... as some of you know there is much more to making a car go fast than checking air pressures and replacing consumables. Reading the track, knowing the car's suspension and engine tune-ups, knowing the driver, knowing the weather conditions all play a part in being successful.

A couple of months ago I was asked to Crew Chief a Limited Street car. It is owned by Charles Lateer. It was built by Jason at Texas Racewerks. It is a red '98 Mustang. 414 sbf, Roush heads and intake, Dart Block, Ford Motorsports forged crank, hellfire rings, Ross vertical gas ported pistons, single Dominator, twin foggers, twin Nitrous bottles, Glide, Mark Williams housing and center section. Dedenbear Nitrous controller, Racepak data logger, MSD 7531 Ignition module, halon fire suppression. 25.2 cert chassis.

We have a total of 11 passes on this new car. It has gone a best of 5.51 with a 1.21 60'. That is with a very conservative tune up on the 1st stage, we have not turned on the 2nd stage. The car should go a deep 5.teen or an .0 number when it's dialed in. Testing will continue next wednesday if the weather permits. Pics as soon as I can get them.

I was asked to rewire an Outlaw 10.5 car. It is owned by Tom Malouf. It is a nasty combination. Grant McCreary's old Proline 632 cid bullet, twin Precision 90mm Pro Mod turbos, Alcohol injected ( 16 x 212# injectors), cable driven fuel pump, Glide, Mark Williams hardware out back. RPM data logging hardware, BS3, MSD 8, MSD 7531, MSD Engine Saver rpm box, AMS 1000 boost controller, Racepak dash, Davis traction control module. This car is currently under construction at Texas Racewerks, we will debut it in a month or so. After the shakedown hits Steve Petty of Proline Racing Engines / Tim Lynch Outlaw 10.5 fame will be flown in to tune the combination during several days of track testing. With an SBF and a single turbo the car has been 200 mph + in the 1/4 mile. See the pics below.

Edit: I was made aware of the fact that we are going with an entirely new Data Acquisition System. A Racepak V300SD System was ordered. I removed the RPM Performance system and wired in the secondary fuel injector harness.

Davis traction control module, boost control solenoids

Igniton modules

Current state of construction

Turbos and frt of engine

Dash

The Proline 632, note the 4 fuel rails

Shawn Wilhoit's '62 Nova. It sports a Bud Morgan 605cid BBC with twin foggers, single Dominator, Glide, twin Nitrous bottles, NOS nitrous controller, MSD 7531, stock 9" housing with ladder bars. Two weeks ago this car went sub 5.4x's at over 120 mph. I won't tell his times as this is a grudge car. see pics below.

Mike and John finishing up the Glide install

Bud Morgan 605cid mill

Also, we were asked to get involved with John Sheffield's SBF, 116mm turbo KOTH Mustang. This one bad bitch for a small block! John had been having problems with his Glide this summer, we were able to solve those issues and get him back to running consistent 4.80's! We are considering this car a test bed for some unique systems and are working with John to develop some tools for maintaining high powered Glides between rounds. The goal is to manage heat in the converter better than has been done in the past. Pic's as soon as they are available.

The cars highlighted here are but a small handfull of the clients I work with regularly at the race tracks in our area. I thought I would spotlight these guys because they are representative of what we've been up to.

The reason for this post is to let you guys know that when we say we are a Racing Trasmission company, we mean it. We don't just build units and send them out the door. We build them and go with our clients to the racetrack in order to gain valuable information that we use in the shop for your builds. That is how we get better. It's one thing to build a bad *** transmission and get feedback from clients, but it is another thing to help those clients go faster, actually lean on those units as much as the combination will allow!

Make no mistake about it. We know fast.

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 10-07-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet pics and info!! Keep up the good work, you are doing an awesome job!!!

Chris
Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the vote of confidence! I keep hearing and reading good things about the work you guys are doing down there as well. Hope Ike didn't interrupt operations too bad for you.

And Vince... I don't want to hear one word about running 1/2 a race dude! LOL... BTW.... did you catch the part about one of our local boys coming up to Chicago and taking all the $$$ home in the King of the Street race? Bwaaahhhhaaahhhhhaaaaaa! When are you boys coming down here to get it back?

g
Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars Look mean Gil. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks, I appreciate that!

g

Quick Reply: Update on Race Operations at ACE Racing Transmissions