Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

wyotech blairsville pa?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wyotech blairsville pa?

im currently getting info to go to wyotech i was curious if anyone has been there and if so is it worth the money and if u can answer some questions?

1 do they allow u to work on your own car there if so how do u get money while u are attending there for parts and dorm?

2 does your loan payments start after u get out of school or during ?

3 how much extra is the engine performace and shop management classes?

4 should i bring a spare engine to build while im there

5 if i take the auto repair class does that have the welding training i couldnt weld tootpicks with chewing gum

6 does the school help with your ase cert

7 how likely is it you will have employeement after u leave? and with decent pay ?

8 is there a bowling alley around clubs and of course women in the school ? not that it matters but its always nice to have females around to get the mans show off skills.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

oh i have more questions 9 do u bring your own tools or do they supply u with tools ? how does that work?

10 anyone have any recomendations extras i should take while im there?

im very interested in this school its only 3 hours away from me!

please help me with all info u can
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Launching!

i dont go their but i have 4 friends their right now and 3 others got back a few months ago.

1. All my friends got to work on their cars alittle, but not much. If you did it would probably be mostly your own time, unless its body work and your taking autobody.

2. This depends, but all my friends have their loans starting after school.

3. I know power and performance is expensive, i know that because my friends all bitched about it haha.

4. Yeah deffinatly if ya got the money, i can assure you all you have is time down their lol.

5. this i dont know, but i can find out.

6. I dont think they do, i have 2 buddys who are out working right now and niether of them have the ase's yet. But the school gives you practice tests and whatnot.

7. One of my friends who is back now is unemployed, and the other is changing oil and doing tune ups for $12 an hour. But either way, your going to be a mechanic, gotta start at the bottom!

8. Theirs a drag strip not to far, and a real small mall/theatre. I was down their a few weeks back and can tell you their are very few females, atleast attractive ones that is.

9. They supply you with tools for anything you do in school...and they offer KILLER deals on snapon when you get out.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

i meet with the guy next week to set everything up in april where do u get money to pay for your dorm and car parts to get engine parts and can you use the garage on your own time?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

any more thoughts?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Launching!

I went to college in TX. San Jacinto College. Suppossed to be the best Automotive Technology school on the south east coast. All my instructors talked **** about Wyotech.

The 1st reason is because they don't really introduce you into the ASE's. In my school we studied for and took practice tests for ASE. Then the people in the class that wanted to go take their ASE's all went together and took them. Including the instructor.

The second reason is because you don't actually get a degree from Wyotech. Well not a state recognized one at least. I know that for sure. Might get a printed diploma saying you completely the program it's just not recognized. At a college you will get a degree that any job will look at. Even at a management position. It shows you have an assiciates degree from college.

The third is that they don't get you a job...In the school I went to they had you a job working in a dealership in your second year of school. You had to work at a delearship because it was your internship and part of your grade once you get into advanced classes.

The fourth is that you finish there and try to go to a dealership and they say go to college and get a degree and get your ASEs while your there. In my opinion you would be better off just doing the ASEs on your own, rather then going to Wyotech. Because a shop would rather see you have ASEs, then a paper from wyotech..seriouslly.

The fifth is the cost. It's way over priced. Try to find a college that offers automotive classes. Their T.V. commercials look nice but trust me it's a gimick. I know 3 people who went there and confirmed everything I heard from my instructors is true.

Also at the college I went to there was a shop with any tool you could ever need and you just need either a student ID or DL to rent a tool. The snapon guys offer you a %50 discount on any tools. That starts the day you start school. Not when you finish. When you finish the college GIVES you 2,500 in tools!

I only spent about 1,500 a semester for classes AND books. Then when I moved IN districted it cut my tuition in half so it was like $500 a semester for tuition and $500 for books. Trust me, you take SO many complex classes. Engine rebuilding is by no means the most complex. That was an easy class. The eletrical gets tricky. You do have to take your regular classes too like english, math, science, pe. Or you can go for the certificate which only takes 9 months, and still get your ASEs if your not looking to do a full 3 years of school. Now days it takes a full 3 years unless you do summers and mini-semesters. So much info to cram, always getting updated (hybrid just for starters) no longer just 2 years. A VERY hard course.

You will graduate thinking you know everything. Just to find out YOU DON'T KNOW ****!!! HAHA Spend 2 years, summers, Christmas breaks going to school just to have some old school mechanic give you a hard time and make you feel like **** and tell you to give it up and just change oil because everything takes you a long time and you break off a few bolts and screw a few things up. It's easy working on something you know, but it's hard when a different car rolls in and needs something done. The computer programs make it a little easier. You will just find it takes YEARS to really be a good mechanic.

I decided not to stick with it and went into Millwrights, which is a turbine mechanic, working for the union, then you can draw unemployment while your in between jobsites and do cash jobs (I build fence) and make a killing. Still getting full benifits. I could tell you more if you wanna know more I'll give you my e-mail. HAHA I know you Union bashers hate when someones making $30 an hour then drawing unemployment while their not working and still pulling in cash from cash jobs!

I'm not trying to tell you not to go, just want to inform you. If all you wanna do is learn then you will learn. Just wont be %100 ready to join a delearship or have a degree!

If you just start studying and take your ASEs and join a shop you will learn so much more just being in a shop if you listen to the old schools then going to school. I thought I knew so much on paper, then went into the shop and realized I had a lot to learn!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Launching!

ill put it this way: at 19 I was offered a position as head of paint and theory at wyotech, not just teach, but head up the whole division. I turned it down because of two things:
  • Larime, Wyoming is miserable.
  • Wearing a wyotech shirt is considered to be "the best form of birth control money can buy" according to the students there.

Im sorry, but after that I lost all faith in automotive education.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Honestlly I don't it worth the money at all. I went ended up getting the same job as people who went to the community college and took automotive classes. I think its a huge rip off in my opinion. It was easy for me to get a job but it's not like my knowledge was so much greater then anyone that I worked with. Plus I found out I hate doing the work. If I could give any advice I would say see if your community college has any classes like such and then try to get on working somewhere to actually see if you like it or not. Just my 2 cents. GL
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Wearing a wyotech shirt is considered to be "the best form of birth control money can buy" according to the students there.

this is funny lol what the hell so in wy theres no girls or they dont like the shirt?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Teching In

There are hardly any girls at Tech and it's even a strech to call the girls some of them. And if you are from Tech you are hated by most the town and UW guys. Mostly cause we go after UW girls. First weekend I was in Laramie me and my roomate were already in a fight cause we showed up at a UW party and left with UW girls. Go times. But... still not worth it.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

thats to crazy did u graduate?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Yep, then worked doing body work for about 6-7 months and hated it. Now i'm working on year 5 in the Marines and love it.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

i went there back in 04 and graduated i have been working at a body shop for 3.5 yearsthe pay is not bad i make ok money i made 72,000 last year, but it true the locals hate u and uw guys but that makes it fun if u like dirt bikes or fourwheelers it fun lots of places to ride plus fort collins colorado is only 30min drive lots of bars and hot ladies ,on another note i dont think anybody from cali likes anybody from texas
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

well thats plenty of money 72000 in my area is like over moderate pay
Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went, it was the worst year of my life and the biggest waste of time i can imagine... heres the answers to your ?s
1 do they allow u to work on your own car there if so how do u get money while u are attending there for parts and dorm?
you will get to work on your car in certain programs, though its not worth the hassle and paperwork, depending on your student loans

2 does your loan payments start after u get out of school or during ?
Most student loans make you pay after you finish schooling

3 how much extra is the engine performace and shop management classes?
you get one for free with your core program. ASM (shop management) is not worth it at all, they tell you you get an associates degree but some facts on that. No other college in this country will accept that as college credit and do not recognize it as a real degree... neither dose any employer

4 should i bring a spare engine to build while im there
Absolutly not. The facilitys are horrible to build an engine in. Yes they have the tools but they have been beaten on and most do not work properly

5 if i take the auto repair class does that have the welding training i couldnt weld tootpicks with chewing gum
You will learn to weld, i can say that about them, i picked up quite a bit... although i had experience going in

6 does the school help with your ase cert
No, they could give a rats *** if you get certified, your on your own. All they did was give us a list of testing facilitys

7 how likely is it you will have employeement after u leave? and with decent pay ?
Zilch.... heres some facts... dealerships dont want kids right out of school, there looking for trained and seasoned techs. Wyotech says they gaurentee placement. The only job offer i ever got from them was an entry level lube tech 3 states away after i requested and marked on the form i wanted something localy in my home area. If you want to do the automotive thing i seriously recomend you do an apprenticeship. Youll get alot farther for alot less money. I know 4 kids out of my graduating class of roughly 200 that are currently working automotive jobs and none of them are much more than an entry level tech. It really is a scam as much as i hate to say it. The cars that are there to train you on are all donated piles of ****. I remember specifically one car in the automotive program was missing a whole side of it because it had been t-boned. They didnt even try to clean it up. Everything theres been destroyed to the point it dosent run right. The training equiptment and tools included.

If your planing on doing something in the specialty automotive industry (i.e. performance/body work/custom stuff) i recomend you make contacts. You dont get those jobs unless you know people as much as it sucks to say.
As far as blairsville its an awful place to live. There are no females therefore you do not get the full college experience (dunno rather thats important to you but i seriously regret it). When i say no females though i seriously mean it. There were 4 hot chicks in the town (not the school). Theres nothing to do up there, you almost have to drive clear to pittsburg to find anything to get into that isnt illegal. The locals hate students and treat you like crap. Worst yet I.U.P (the univerity the next town over) hates Teckers (which is that youll be known as) and **** with there cars them ect.

Im sorry for the rant but I like to try to save people the trouble of that school. I know they make it sound great but take it from someone who did it, it isnt. If you decide to do it, best of luck but if you want my personal advice, go to a 4 year college and get a degree in something. Youll be better off in the end. If you must go automotive (its not fun when your working on other peoples ****) i recomend apprenticeship. If theres anymore questions you have let me know. Ill be more than happy to fill ya in. I have pictures of the campus and everything.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM
9 Second Club

i say avoid it. i have not been impressed with wyotech grads. albeit i am sure there are some great wrenches that graduate from there. i think you will learn more on your own than going ot school. i worked in a performance shop while i was in college. i learned a lot from my old boss. i took what i learned and started my own shop.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't do it. I graduated from there in March of this year.

1. You can only work on your car if what your doing has been covered in class and time allows for it. You don't really get enough in loans for lots of parts and enough to live on. Choose wisely. Parts were not allowed in the dorms. Alcohol is NOT allowed at all. They will evict you.

2.Loan payment starts after a grace period after you graduate or if you drop out.

3.One extension course is required in addition to your core class. If you take automotive then after your 6 month core (usually you take your core class before a extension unless there is a change in classes offered) you take at least one 3 month core. Some classes are geared more toward collision guys than the automotive tech guys. Like Hod Rod is class geared toward custom painting and some fab work.

4.They have a clean room for engine builds in Hi-performance class. (the 3 month extension I took) I watched a guy build a 383 for his nova back home. (Blairsville has one 98 ta for the hi-po class.) Some instructors were more helpful than others.

5.They do teach welding but the ICAR classes are something that is offered separate from school. Yet the ICAR classes are held on campus. The school donates the space and is not affiliated with Wyotech. Same for ASE's and other certifications.

6.There will be practice ASE's offered here and there. You most likely will not score better than a 50% at best with what you learn in school. Save your money and get more experience. Or do a apprenticeship.

7.Employment before graduating is rare. Most likely (especially in this economy) you will struggle to find employment in a auto field. Shops are downsizing and dealers are closing. The market is flooded with good Techs. Why hire a green rookie if you can snag a experienced tech?

8.Theres a bowling alley in Latrobe. About 30-45 mins away from Blairsville. Women are few and far between. The Wal-Mart is where many techers find local love. Hell my soon to be ex wife made out with one, and kissed another. Many of the cashiers are willing and able. Plus they are legal. Watch out for the under-aged girls in the area. ******!

My experience both in and out of school was miserable. My wife separated from me. I moved from away from my friends and family. I ended up with a debt near $32000 and the price has gone up. There was nothing to do near Blairsville. Everything is like a hour away (Pittsburgh) I did get to go white water rafting and that might have been the coolest thing I did in PA. I work at a small shop. But I only make $12 a hour. I do more than oil changes too. In short don't do it.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont go its a waste of money and the auto industry as a tech is a dying and hard industry right now I graduated from Wyotech in 2004. I am currently not even turning wrench's anymore because it had gotten so slow and if theres no cars to fix you dont get paid and a lot of the younger techs get laid off they only keep the older techs that have been there a long time.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to the Blairsville campus and graduated around July 2008. I can't say it was a COMPLETE waste of time, but it definitely wasn't worth the money for the amount of knowledge I got out of it. Granted I learned new things, but I felt there should of been more. I started to dislike the place when I realized that corporate only cared about making money and gave two ***** for updating equipment and test vehicles. Plus all the pansy *** kids creating drama like back in high school.

The High performance engine class was an absolute waste of money. I got to tune one car for one day out of the whole 3 months of class. The rest of the time I helped a kid build his LT1 so I wouldn't be sitting around all day. And I didn't need the school to help him with his car either. So that was a waste of $7K.

I did however really like the Chassis fab class (welding, metal working, etc.). My view on that class is completely different than any other class. I had awesome teachers and I got to actually make stuff there. I worked on my own car there. I built my intercooler and piping, built and welded in a 4 point roll cage in my friends camaro. TIG and MIG welding everyday was just real fun for me.

The school didn't help me get a job either. They give you a list of places who have contacted them in the past and you see who is in your area. It didn't help me at all. Oh yeh, the town is a **** hole.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Tara

8.Theres a bowling alley in Latrobe. About 30-45 mins away from Blairsville. Women are few and far between. The Wal-Mart is where many techers find local love. Hell my soon to be ex wife made out with one, and kissed another. Many of the cashiers are willing and able. Plus they are legal. Watch out for the under-aged girls in the area. ******!
We called em prostit-tots in my day lol

Quick Reply: wyotech blairsville pa?