Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: Is Wyotec a Good school?
Great School
9.40%
Good School
12.82%
Neither Good nor Bad
29.06%
Poor
13.68%
Terrible, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Is Wyotec a good school?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws6NBM
why a masters degree in physics? i would think a masters degree in engineering would be more suited to engine and chassis building. fwiw, i went to ga tech, got a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, got a good job, saving up money, learning as much as I can about cars as a hobby, then i want to open up my own shop. then you'll be the guy hiring SAM or UTI graduates. if the shop fails, i always have a mechanical engineering degree from a good school to fall back on.
Not a bad idea. But this is why I chose physics. Its not just limited to earthly physics, the physics of space have always sparked my interest. So I can always go and work for NASA or some other organization that will pay me a ridiculous amount of money to look up at the sky and propose the question "what if"?

Besides the way I figure it, if I can take a welding class, I should be able to design my own chassis b/c I understand the physics of everything. Obviously I wont know everything, but I should be able to build my own dune buggy or golf cart with a snowmobile engine in it.

I am pretty much scrapping the UTI, Wyotech idea. I seem to be getting a great deal of knowledge from the Community College anyway. I should be done with my degree from there by the fall semester of this coming year. So I would have gotten my associates in Automotive Technology within a year. After I get my associates, I think that I am going to go to either Michigan U, or Texas U.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Keep it coming!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

i'm not sure on this, but i would guess that you wont cover in depth any type of deformable bodies or statics/dynamics type stuff in physics. physics i would guess is going to be extremely theoretical in learning and application. with a mechanical engineering degree, you'll cover in depth deformable bodies (you learn how **** bends (or deforms) under both dynamic and static forces), statics (where you cover the physics side with force being applied while the object doesnt move), and dynamics (where you learn the same as statics, but now the object is moving or accelerating, the 3-D **** gets crazy). you will also take classes like system dynamics where you learn how system interact and react (hydraulics, circuits, spring-mass-damper setups).

basically, i would say go for the mechanical engineering if you want to learn stuff you can apply to chassis or engine building. you'll end up taking a lot of extra stuff with a physics degee, especially a masters (I dont think you could do a chassis build as your thesis) where as with a ME (mechanical engineering) degree, you could definately build a chassis for your thesis. see what I'm saying?

to get back to your original question, i too have heard that the automotive schools are not that good. they use the rare cases of guys going to NHRA and such to get more people to go. its just not a realistic outcome. you'll most likely come out changing oil at jiffy lube for $9 an hour. With a engineering degree from a good school, you'll definitetly come out better. With Ga Tech, just getting through that engineering program, you're pretty much guaranteed to come out making $50k a year ( at least with a ME degree, some are more such as Chemical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering).

Last edited by 02ws6NBM; 11-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my best friend is at wyotech right now, he was always the lazy one in high school, but knew how everything worked. so far in the 5 months he has been there his grandma and dad has spent at least 38k on his school and living, he wanted me to go, didnt have that kind of money so i went to a community college for machining, will have ***. degree in manufacturing in 2 years and goverment is paying for my whole schooling. we both bought a chevy nova 2 years ago, his is in pieces with a cracked block, mine has all new interior, flowmaster, vinyl top, disc brakes and full suspension and will be painted in a month. he was a ok welder in school, says theres a lot worse ones there, and he says his car will be all narrowed up, i dont trust his welds
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

smart guy. stay in regular college. either physics or engineering will do you well, and be more fun in the long run. as for me, like i said before, i'd rather own and drive cool cars someone else built than spend all my time making other people's cars better, just to be too tired to want to enjoy my own projects at the end of the day. all your neighbors coming over wanting you to fix their stuff for cheeap/free on your off time, having a tool bill that rivals a modest college tuition, every light switch in your house constantly getting dirty, dehydration in the summer, cold as hell shop in the winter. "F" that. get that degree and get a career you can enjoy and really impact society(other than keeping the wheels moving), and afford your own heated, A/C'd one or two bay home shop and have your fun.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not sure on this, but i would guess that you wont cover in depth any type of deformable bodies or statics/dynamics type stuff in physics. physics i would guess is going to be extremely theoretical in learning and application. with a mechanical engineering degree, you'll cover in depth deformable bodies (you learn how **** bends (or deforms) under both dynamic and static forces), statics (where you cover the physics side with force being applied while the object doesnt move), and dynamics (where you learn the same as statics, but now the object is moving or accelerating, the 3-D **** gets crazy). you will also take classes like system dynamics where you learn how system interact and react (hydraulics, circuits, spring-mass-damper setups).

basically, i would say go for the mechanical engineering if you want to learn stuff you can apply to chassis or engine building. you'll end up taking a lot of extra stuff with a physics degee, especially a masters (I dont think you could do a chassis build as your thesis) where as with a ME (mechanical engineering) degree, you could definately build a chassis for your thesis. see what I'm saying?

to get back to your original question, i too have heard that the automotive schools are not that good. they use the rare cases of guys going to NHRA and such to get more people to go. its just not a realistic outcome. you'll most likely come out changing oil at jiffy lube for $9 an hour. With a engineering degree from a good school, you'll definitetly come out better. With Ga Tech, just getting through that engineering program, you're pretty much guaranteed to come out making $50k a year ( at least with a ME degree, some are more such as Chemical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering).
I definately see what you are saying with the ME section. I guess I am really repeled by it because I was just in the navy in the Nuclear Engineering program specializing in electricity. So I really want to steer clear of engineering for a while. I love cars and exploring the unknown. So thats really why I want physics, b/c I can use it with cars, but it is more designed for the type of job that I am interested in having for the rest of my life. I will probably take some ME classes on the side. But not as my major. Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. How is campus life like? What I mean by that is, are the classes that you need to take to get the degree easily spelled out, or do you have to figure it out on your own? Just trying to get an idea of what campus life will be like. Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
smart guy. stay in regular college. either physics or engineering will do you well, and be more fun in the long run. as for me, like i said before, i'd rather own and drive cool cars someone else built than spend all my time making other people's cars better, just to be too tired to want to enjoy my own projects at the end of the day. all your neighbors coming over wanting you to fix their stuff for cheeap/free on your off time, having a tool bill that rivals a modest college tuition, every light switch in your house constantly getting dirty, dehydration in the summer, cold as hell shop in the winter. "F" that. get that degree and get a career you can enjoy and really impact society(other than keeping the wheels moving), and afford your own heated, A/C'd one or two bay home shop and have your fun.
Very well said. The more that I hear about these major automotive schools, the more that I am repulsed by them. I definately want to keep it a hobby. I just want to know how to keep my car running as long and as fast as possible.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwindbigler
End result, I want to know how to build my own car. From the design of the engine, fabrication of the chassis (including the welding) and the customization of the interior. Basically I want to know how to do EVERYTHING with cars. Both gas and diesel.

Thanks again for your input guys

An automotive engineering degree would fit that description. Get involved with a University with a Formula SAE program.

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

as far as the classes go, i believe all universities have cirriculum planned out for all degree paths. I know at Ga Tech they have a sheet that shows you the entire four year plan (most do it in 5 years because the schedule is pretty hard). So it shows you what classes you need to take for your 1st semester, 2nd semester, and so on till the last semester. basically the only thing to worry about is the prerequisite classes. meaning, you cant sign up and take calc 3 without passing calc 2 first. so there is a definite progression through the course work. you do have free choice on your engineering electives (which i took machine design, internal combustion engines, and material selection). i would guess that all degree programs have electives so that you can choose classes that you want to take instead of the basic classes for the degree program.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

as far as the classes go, i believe all universities have cirriculum planned out for all degree paths. I know at Ga Tech they have a sheet that shows you the entire four year plan (most do it in 5 years because the schedule is pretty hard). So it shows you what classes you need to take for your 1st semester, 2nd semester, and so on till the last semester. basically the only thing to worry about is the prerequisite classes. meaning, you cant sign up and take calc 3 without passing calc 2 first. so there is a definite progression through the course work. you do have free choice on your engineering electives (which i took machine design, internal combustion engines, and material selection). i would guess that all degree programs have electives so that you can choose classes that you want to take instead of the basic classes for the degree program.
That makes a lot of sense. Thats what I thought that they had. A very well structured 4 year degree plan. And, yes the damn prereq's. If it wouldnt be for a damn prereq, I would be able to graduate with an associates in automotive technology at the end of spring semester. Damn english 101. But its cool though. I will be done by the summer. Besides it gives me an opportunity to take automatic transmissions classes, and a couple of diesel classes as well.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

personally i feel that being a mechanic would be great, but good look finding a job. i dont know about where you guys are from but here in Iowa I've got buddies with ASE certifications that cant find work. a good example is a buddy of mine just went to some automotive mechanic school and is now in 20gs in debt, and its not helping that he cant find a job that he majored in...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

im not trying to be a downer.... or anything more power to you man. i wanted to be a mechanic in high school i was in a program that was designed for automotive students to help work in a shop.. it was for students that had good grades at the time i got to shadow at KIA Cadillac and two ford dealerships. when i was spending my time working there it hit me DAMN i don't want to cross work and play....id eventually get tired of cars hahaha words i never thought id say
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats exactly why I am thinking of keeping cars as a play thing. I am going to get an associates in automotive technology here in San Diego, and use that toward my own cars. Then get a degree in something that I would love doing for the rest of my life.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one more semester left in my GM ASEP class... My two year degree is included. Each Semester is 8 weeks. So My college consists of 32 Weeks of school and Im done Auto Class is 50/50 lab n lecture. Strictly GM stuff, no time is wasted. Lots of learning from instructors that were GM Techs.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Tenured Member

I went to wyotech. Some classes were pretty good some just tossed in there for fillers it seamed. The high perf. engines and chassis fab when they were combined was a good class. I probly should have went to UNOH or SAM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went to wyotech and i should have also gone to SAM its not as good as they stay, i never once studyed and came out with all A's its very easy if you no general stuff about cars and car parts. Alot of students go there just for the chassis fab and high performance engines and like trim, thats just my opion.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 AM

For what it is worth I am an automotive instructor at a small community college in Ohio and an aircraft mechanic. Before I went to school for my associates degree for power technology I looked at several "high end schools". Such as Wyotech, UTI, Northwestern university, but when it came down to it i didnt want to come up with the $$ and be in debt when i graduated. So I went to a small community college, got my degree in 2 years and now I am an instructor at that college. My boss and myself just had this talk not even 2 night's ago about my experience with the a community college and if I would have done anything different. I told him i wish we had more "high tech" classes at the small community college. He asked " so what is high tech?" I told him computers....well we learned alot of the basics and some of the higher end diagnostics of OBD2, so small community college taught that....ok so I said...engine machining. Ok the small school doesnt teach any of that....my boss's responce was where are you going to get a job machining on in Ohio? Good point and if i did get a job doing this the machine shop would have there way of doing things and the machines would be different anyway.

So i guess my point is if i was going to make a career or doing this for a hobby i would probably go to a small, inexpensive, local college to learn the basics of cars and not be in alot of debt....OBD2, there sensors, how they work, brakes, suspension, transmissions, and where I went they taught basic engine rebuilding also. If your going to do this for a career, no matter where you go to school you are going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up the mechanic chain. Maybe not oil change bottom, but no matter what you will have to start off at an entry level job and prove yourself no matter where you get a degree from. Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps you out!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I graduated from Wyotech Blairsville in March of 08. They pass almost everyone and only a select few are really the kind of people i would let change my oil from there. I was not impressed. I was recently laid off from the shop I was working at for the last year. The market tanked dealerships have closed and the market is flooded with techs. With or without a cert it doesn't matter. The auto market in general is a bust. I should have gone to a real school and learned a degree. Wyotech does offer a degree in Business Management. But its accreditation is not likely to win you a lot of favor with employers. Look into a schools accreditation closely. Most tech schools are nationally accredited. While that sounds awesome in the real world most colleges and universities are regionally accredited and typically that means more to employers usually.
http://www.landman.org/content/file/FAQ%27s.pdf
Its a good idea to read into this kind of stuff too. Hope this info helps. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

I Dont post much at all, but i have to represent my school, Wyotech. Keep in mind the type of guys that go to trade schools, probably about 95% of us where F**k ups in high school who didnt do much at all, and carry on the same attitude after highschool. Most guys go into trade schools thinking its gonna be a piece of cake. In reality these schools are designed to teach you at a very fast pace at the same time covering just about everything u need to now. I cant speak out about other schools other then wyotech.

Wyotech kicked *** i took the auto tech program and the business management program and i added the Chassis Fabrication and high performance engines program. i learned the most in the chassis fab class. i was done in one year. Two weeks after i graduated i got a job at a reputable transmission shop in south Florida, ATFspeed.com , R&Ring transmissions a few months later i started fabricating and working on 6sec drag cars at the same shop and ive been doing it since.

Whatever school u pick just go in ready to pay attention and study.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Danny, I think that you are the exception to what the general experience is. I would probably be in your shoes. I would pick up about 99% of what they taught. However, due to the "**** ups" it has made wyotech a people pump. Or so it seems. Dont get me wrong, you can get very highly skilled mechanics coming from there, but that doesnt seem to be the norm. Thats the problem. If they dont get it, if they cant even be trusted to change oil, then why the hell are they graduating. Basically it all boiles down to prestige. I NEED a school who will fail those who deserve to be failed. Those who dont get it, get the hell out. Those who are too lazy, get the hell out. I dont want someone like that working on my car/truck. Would you? Someone who half-asses everything.

As if right now, I am going to San Diego Community College for Automotive technology, and will hopefully be transferring to Texas U in the fall. But thats the plan for now. We will see if it actually happens
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Don't go there unless you are a d-bag or your going for diesel. I live in Laramie, Wyoming and it is not a good school. Believe me you don't want to go here.

Quick Reply: Is Wyotec a good school?