Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Would you guys hire someone who trained at UTI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Would you guys hire someone who trained at UTI?

Hi, I am currently serving in the military and since the wars are ending and drawing down the army is looking to cut 50k troops. My contract is ending soon and I was redoing my re enlistment paperwork when I was told that I really dont have many options of re enlisting since my MOS is overstaffed.

basicly the onlything I can do is extend my contract 16 months and hope things change. I love being in the army and really do not want to leave. I am a outstanding soldier and will soon be promoted too but the army does not base a soldiers worth on that anymore its simply filling spots, and there really are only a handfull of things that I can reclass too.

My question is this my other passion has always been performance cars and I dont want to work in a regular garage. If i dont stay in the army I am trying to get a feel for what direction I should go.

does UTI, or SAM or any of those things look good on a resume when hiring? ive heard alot of places dont want to hire anyone from UTI I just want the answers strait from the people who do the hiring
Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of places dont want to hire people who went to UTI, because of the sheer mass number of students that are turned out of there. Many are young and simply went in lieu of a university.. their parents just wanted them out of the house and they bought into the BS that their recruiters sell. This results in a lot of students representing that school that simply cruised their way through and got the certificate.

There are good students that come from UTI, especially if you attend one of the second year specialty programs such as Audi, Ford FACT or BMW's classes. You just need to pay attention and apply what you learn, and you'll distance yourself from the rest. I think your military backround will be an asset in a job search combined with technical training. I as your potential employer would look much harder at the application of someone with military training because I feel that discipline and work ethic are likely to be present, as opposed to someone who is content with status-quo, or whose life revolves around Facebook and XBox.

Another alternative that I would recommend above UTI is a quality AS degree program from a community/state college. I have taught for GM and Ford before (seminolestate.edu - great program)and found that the level of concern for the student was very high, combined with smaller classes that make for a good student/teacher ratio as opposed to UTI's 3 shift student mill. Plus youll have a real college credit degree when youre done instead of a certificate, and if you attend in the state which you are a resident, you'll qualify for FTI which will bring your cost of the education down to a fraction of what UTI charges.

If you've never worked in the industry before I suggest you cut your teeth at the dealership or large independent repair shop level. This will give you the chance to make the inescapable newbie mistakes there, and learn how shops operate. There is a learning curve regardless of training, and words spreads quick in the tight knit performance world. Stay active in the motorsports community and pick up side work doing installs on whatever vehicles you're enthusiastic about and after you've put some time in, your talents will be attractive to the owner of a performance shop.

Whaever path you choose.. good luck with it!!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to UTI and I really didn't learn anymore than I already knew just from hands on experience. Honestly look for a local tech school that has a automotive or diesel program cause they usually are better.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Teching In

For the amount they charge your basically getting *** raped. There is many days I regret chosing that school over a local school.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to go the vocational route I recommend doing as Whistler said and look for one that offers a real degree. I'm so glad that Mark Davis at Seminole State (SCC when I attended) talked me out of UTI an encouraged me to join the ASEP program. The differences were the experience of the instructors, the cost of tuition, and the direct connection to the dealership. For example, my tuition for UTI including diesel and HotRodU was estimated around 18,000 dollars. On the other hand, I got a scholarship from NADA and my dealership paid the remaining balance for my ASEP education. UTI shouldn't be so expensive considering that four classes at UCF this semester cost me 2200 dollars. The education from UTI isn't transfered to any other institution, so if you ever to decide to change careers again you would need to start over. I'm the example of this situation because after seven years of being in the automotive industry I was tired and needed a change.

As far as the hiring process goes I believe that most service managers are not impressed with the level of people coming out of UTI. For example, my service manager denied several applicants who were from UTI because it's a lot better to hire students directly trained on GM products. Also, they flood the job market with people who have no clue about the automotive industry. Just because you have read some books and put things together in a stress free environment doesn't mean you're ready for a shop. I shadowed a new technician every three months and was employed by a dealership during my education. Being around people who have been in the industry 20+ years will bring you up to speed with how things work. When I went flat rate I still had a lot to learn but at least I had a head start against someone fresh out of UTI. Just to make this clear, I'm not bashing on anyone who went to UTI, I'm just informing the OP about his options.

In the end, I wish you well in whatever career you choose to follow.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Go to real college on the GI bill and get a real job. Don't make your hobby your job. I went to UTI and did the BMW thing 9 years ago. I went back to college last year because I am tired of working on cars. The performance side is alot of fun, but most likely you will be working on grocery getters doing normal maintenance or repairs. Sure it would be fun to be bolting on turbos on 8 seconds cars all day long, or dyno tuning big blocks all day, but the market is bigger on daily drivers. I wish that I would have went to college when I was 18.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the input, I am thinking a ase certification is better but as you stated I really dont want to work on regular cars. but i do understand I have to start somewhere. My biggest concern is the money cause most joe schmoe mechanics dont make much and i probably make more then most now. i really dont want to take a pay cut on something I went to school 2 years for. I am pretty tecchnicly inclined and can work on cars and am fairly knowdedgle in the field.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Run like hell, you don't want to work on cars for a living.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
Thanks for the input, I am thinking a ase certification is better but as you stated I really dont want to work on regular cars. but i do understand I have to start somewhere. My biggest concern is the money cause most joe schmoe mechanics dont make much and i probably make more then most now. i really dont want to take a pay cut on something I went to school 2 years for. I am pretty tecchnicly inclined and can work on cars and am fairly knowdedgle in the field.
To me ASE certifications are also another joke of the automotive industry. The tests are very easy and the material they test you on is generic an outdated. It's a shame that those tests are used as the benchmark for an automotive technician. Seriously, if you have a little car knowledge and buy an ASE study guide you can pass all eight tests. I passed all eight tests in one sitting before I was even done with school. I couldn't get my master certification at the time because I didn't meet the work experience requirement. Meanwhile, back at my work one guy couldn't even pass the tests but had the proper amount of "experience" lol. If you had no choice but to become a mechanic I would say go ahead. However, since you have other options I believe you would be taking a step down from where you are now in the military. Plus, any shop that you start out at you will be starting at the bottom regardless of education. I had more of an education than anyone in the shop including my service manager, when I graduated school. I moved ahead quickly but I believe that would have happened even if I didn't go to school. In the end, I don't think that the industry even values any kind of education because most people just walk into the dealership and start working.

I know 10+ young adults that all attended school with me and none of us are working as technicians or even in the automotive field. Also, I had other students from similar programs work with me and none of them are working in the field anymore. Look at it this way, all of us had a chance to get out and we took that chance. What does that tell you? It sucks lol!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am an ASEP graduate also. I wouldn't recommend dealership life for anyone I know. I learned alot being in the school and being taught by the guys in the shop but the money just wasn't there. I quit 2 1/2 years later and went to work for the phone company and surpassed the yearly pay of the top tech at my old dealership in 4 years.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun working in the shop but the paychecks were no laughing matter. My dealership offered no health insurance or retirement either, which is another reason I left.

I can't speak on UTI since I never went there but if 18,000 grand is the price tag to go there, then thats steep as hell. My parents paid for mine and I think they might have paid 4-5000 tops for the program which was 2 years long.

Getting in the performance industry is hard knowing that its a luxury to have a car to race and with the economy these days people are cutting out luxuries. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but look really hard before you make that leap.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

The money in the dealership was good. I made 70-80 many years and had 2 years at 92,000. There is more to life than money. I am trying to get a job with the city. Its all about the benefits.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

I went the four year automotive degree at Pittstate (pittstate.edu). They are recognized by Ford, GM, Dodge, Honda, and Toyota. We have had a few grads in the upper ranks of these companies as well. They offer a 2 year program if you like also. Or, if you change route, they are highly involved with CAT, and you can get on a program where CAT will pay for your school if you work for them at graduation.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Run like hell, you don't want to work on cars for a living.
LOL X 2 on this ^^^^
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Teching In

im currently attending the university of northwestern ohio. i will leave with an associates degree in applied science along with a diploma in high performance motorsports. my school is one were you can leave with an actual degree and still learn to machine an engine block.

i looked at one other school, wyotech. this school is much mroe impressive.

do some looking around if you do decide to go to school for cars, dont focus on UTI.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrencher
LOL X 2 on this ^^^^
I have worked on cars for 10 years and went back to college last year. I agree, run like hell.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Ive had a few UTI guys work for me. Even had some from other un named schools. Dont waste your money. I would not re-hire a UTI graduate.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a graduate from Wyotech, I will tell you this,

1. schools like uti and wyotech are money=gradutate places. They fail almost no one even when they clearly don't have a grasp on the principles.

2. a lot of hiring managers and shop managers are only aware of local tech schools. A diploma from uti or wyotech means little to them as far as the name on the top of the diploma goes.

3. you can make money in a dealership. I worked at the largest Dodge dealer in St. Louis and can tell you that top techs make good money. they usually take a few years to get all the factory training and classes out of the way.

4. I have a customer service background too. So, I was a service writer for a bit too. They can make good money too, and they don't end up with stained fingers and busted knuckles.

5. I got tired of my shift/pay and left. I now work for a local auto parts retailer. Which is what I was doing before I went to tech school to begin with. I went full circle. Most of the guys I went to school with are not in the automotive field or work some place like NTB, Midas, CarX, ect. Recruiters often LIE, LIE, LIE, but with your military experience, you know that.

Good luck, and I can hope you choose a 4 year school instead of a money pump.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Keep your options open. Before you get out your command will send you to a class that a will give you a lot of options towards recruiters and employers that are looking to hire military personel. I cant rememmber exactly what it is called but there should be some pretty good opertunities there for you. I got out of the Navy in 08 and this helped me.

Plus take full advantage of your MGI bill as the VA is also paying an allowance for your schooling also, up to $1000 per month if you go full time to college.

Tim.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

thanks for all the input, yeah i think I will leave the tech schools alone and if I do go to school maybe work on something else. I think I would prefer to have a high paying regular job and then be able to afford a very nice garage I can work out of and build my own cars as a hobby. I work with communications, satellites, and networking for the army but as of yet I have never had time to get any good certifications in the field.

I know I can ride my GI bill out but im afraid that i wont make enuf off the GI bill to support myself while not having a job but we will see, I have heard of some people making quit a bit of money off the GI bill while they go to school because they pay BAH too.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

I have a similiar story with wyotech... i now owe 30 grand and work at autozone. SWEET.

I really dont know what to do from here on out. Autozone pay is terrible and I honestly dont even want to wrench anymore.. not on other peoples rust buckets. I have no experience in anything but automotive. What are some good paying jobs you can just jump into and get experience/promotions just through the job itself?

Quick Reply: Would you guys hire someone who trained at UTI?