Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Looking for employment in Ohio...

Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for employment in Ohio...

Currently I have 2 jobs and am trying to upgrade 1 of them. I am looking to become an apprentice, or a "grunt" and work my way up someplace. I really looking for something automotive related / custom fab, etc. I am one class away from my associates degree as an automotive technician (class always interferes with other classes) and I earned my certificate from a 2 year school for machining.

I have been currently working for the last 4 years as an apprentice / tech. in a small, one owner repair shop with jobs ranging from oil changes, Engine tear-down / rebuild (nothing performance) to vintage car overhaul. I have been working for the last 7 years in a family owned landscaping business, and part time for 5 years in another landscaping company (friend of family's co.), and a few lawn jobs of my own. I have been working w/ cars since I was 3 helping my dad clean parts and sandblast when I was really little, to working on 4 project cars (complete frame off restorations on some, performance hot rods on others) not including my "bolt on" car (for now, lol).

I started learning to MIG welding over the past summer, and just starting to learn the basics of TIG welding, but I would like to learn a lot more. In my 2 year machining program that I attended, I used manual Bridgeport mills, and lathes on a daily basis. fabing / machining custom parts for home projects, and friends cars. Also learned precision measuring, and can use AutoCAD (took 4 years worth in high school) and MasterCam (In machining school, but i'm a little rusty w/ that program since I only have CAD at home). I worked a little w/ CNC machines, Anilam, etc. I need someone to really teach me this. I also took 3 years of woodworking, and the only year offered for advanced wood working. I doubt that would help me w/ automotive employment

I don't care too much about the pay at the moment, the main goal for me is to learn as much as possible, and work my way up and hopefully make something of myself, and not have to drive a million miles for the job. I am a fast learner when it's hands-on work, I always listen to suggestions, and like working as a group and problem solving. I am a detail oriented person and like to make sure everything is perfect. I'm not a fan of flat rate because I don't like trying to beat the clock and rush. Rushing gets things overlooked and I don't like that. I like my work done right the first time, everytime. I'm not looking to be a parts runner or oil change guy, otherwise I would work at Walmart or Autozone. If anyone can help me out in any way, it would be greatly appriciated. I can send my resume upon request. I apologize for my crappy spelling.

I have my own tools, not a ton, the bird took over some of my tool fund
Thanks

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 08-13-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some opening for a lube tech/ general service tech in the montrose area. We need someone asap. We are an independent Goodyear store.
The position is basically a "oil change guy" to start but most of my top Techs starting here. hell one was just a clean up kid.

Josh
Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hi, thanks for the heads up on the job. I will have to pass, only because I would like to combine the 2 years worth of machining and fab work w/ automotive and I don't want to ignore what I have been learning w/ machining over the last 2 years. It's kinda my dream to do this, apprentice or other. The job that you are talking about sounds exactly like what I have right now except I would have to start over, work my way up, etc. just to get back to where I am now. But I wouldn't have to deal w/ the crap I do now ...... Thanks for the offer, I appriciate it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

n/p bud good luck
Old 08-12-2007, 07:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmm.... I will have to keep you in mind. Stop by the shop one time if you would like.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

pm sent
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

I could use someone like you as well, but I'm about 3 hrs away.

PM me if you want to talk.

Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for employment in Ohio...