Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Powdercoating Business

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powdercoating Business

Is anyone in it? It's something I've been thinking about on and off for a while now. It seems like a pretty good way to make a little extra cash on the side in addition to a full-time job... I've done a little research but wanted to hear from people who might have some experience with it. It doesn't seem like it would have a huge startup cost. It looks like you can get decent enough beginner-type equipment for $10-15k. The work could be done from a shop at home or a small leased shop... and the best thing is, there would be absolutely no competition in my area. I'm already in the automotive field (parts manager at a dealership) so I know other people in the local market. There are a couple speed shops around and several motorcycle dealers/shops. I'm not looking to get rich or anything, just make some extra money at nights and on the weekends. If it turned into something more, that would be great.

Anybody have any real-world experience they could share?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a bud that does powdercoating. He is always busy, and the last time I heard doesn't advertise!!. Depending on the area where you live you might be onto something here. G/L
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do well with fencing and structural stuff.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS600rr
Why not use the internet as a good place to start-up, if you became a forum vendor and created a exchange business or a mail-order powdercoating service....

I know several people on different boards that do this type of work
That was definitely something I was considering. I'm seriously looking into this, might not actually happen for a while but I'm looking into it... I don't have the space at home right now so I'd have to rent some sort of shop but I don't think that would be a problem. Any more input would be welcomed...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

i did it here for awhile in the new orleans area for a while before katrina.
its not bad but is very time consuming your prep work and prep equipment is key. you have to have the rite oven it cant be to hot or to cold it has to be just rite. you need a very clean envinorment and very good moisture free and oil free compressed air sytem. always keep your powder fresh stor it in a climate controled place rotate stock. you will get all kind a **** people want you to do and always use the rite abrasive for the type of metal to be preped.
i went hrough a lot of glass bead and it not cheap because you dont want to reuse it. it defently takes practice and paitentence. dont bite off more than you can chew. if i was you i would start by get a good compressor with seperator system. get the hotcoat professional kit not the cheap one it can be had from eastwood. a good blast cabnet and a used 30 in electric oven and do some small motor parts off of your motor and see how you do an if thats what you want to do. and remember people always want **** yesterday. oh and the motorcycle guys are supper picky when it comes to stuff and keep your prices at a competive edge. hope this helps
Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Business