Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Looking for work in PA

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for work in PA

Ok i figured I would put this out there just to see if I get anything aside from laughs.
I am currently in the army on the end of my 7th year, I get out in April 09 and will be moving to the Connellsville area, near Union Town. I am trying to figure out what I would like to do for the rest of my life and working on cars doesnt seem like a bad idea.
The draw back, I have no college or even professional garage experiance. I have what I have learned working on my own cars. I need a few options and what I might be able to do, also looking at law enforcement, and prison guard, if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.
I know I dont have the degrees to be a mech. but I learn fast and might be able to put msyelf through school as I work.
Also interested in contruction, HVAC, Pumbling, I have about 3 years experiance doing these as I worked for my family Hardware store in NY.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Cant i get a BUMP BUMP>>>
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Construction Sucks right now, trust me I'm laid off right now with little hope of a call back anytime soon. I would think the best option for you would be a job as a lube tech in a dealership. They are always hiring around here for one. And go to Pennco tech to start earning your certs. I'd stay with a Dealership , just my opinion. You can make alot of money on flat rate. Good luck
Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

I was kind of thinking that route as well. Just dont know what I will be making to start, and I cant not make money. I mean I am in the military now, and im not raking in the doe but I need to be making close to what I am now, 30K a year. If I am close to that till i get certified, then Ill be down but it all depends on what the starting pay is....
Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

You should be close to that at dealer. You just gotta work your *** off first. A lube tech around here starts at $14-16 hr, plus Health insurance. Listen don't be blind sighted by taking some job that might pay alittle more at first doesn't have advancement. When I was working at a dealership our master tech was well over 100K a yr, and the B tech were between 50 -65K. Just my advice , take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 7998
don't be blind sighted by taking some job that might pay alittle more at first doesn't have advancement.
Very good advice. I just graduated college with a degree in Auto service. I turned down a job at a an independent shop starting me at $10/hr. and went with a dealership instead. They started me at $8.50/hr. I've been there since May and have now been bumped up to $10.50. Granted this isn't great pay, but I'm still "green" yet and I'm not flat rate. I'll be going flate rate in the spring..then the real money will be coming. Plus with dealerships, they generally offer alot of benefits and they pay for all your schooling and ASE certifications.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

flat rate is ok but you also gotta get in good with the service right so thats the only draw back. but i cant beleive they started you off at 8 somthing i know around here thats what they start just like there people that clean off the cars. but guess its a bit different every where
Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Yea it sucked, but I wasn't out of college yet so technically I didn't have my degree yet...even tho I only had 1/2 semester left to go. Now I'm making more, and in the spring I'll be flat rate. Flat rate isn't bad...you just need to look for work. Like sell them a tire rotation if its needed or air filters, 15K,30K services, etc. If you can do that and you understand the vehicles that your working on and how things work then you'll do fine. Another thing that will help is time management. Don't go to the parts room 20 times on the same vehicle for parts. Get a list of everything you will need, then go to parts ONCE..maybe twice if its alot of stuff. Also don't raise and lower the vehicle 80 million times. It wastes time.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea also flat rate isnt bad if you work a dealer ship because you mostly on get that brand of cars in that you are working at so you get use to know how to get to stuff and it becomes so much quicker