Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Thinking about a buisness....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a buisness....

On an average how long has it taken the sponsors on here to pickup a good amount of buisness? I know it dont happen overnight.... Ive been thinking about it more and more starting out small until it takes off. Any words of advise? My only problem seems to be time as im a perfectionist, would this hurt buisness or help it? Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Being a perfectionist would hurt and help your auto related business in my eyes. People make money by charging a set price to do a job......... With me! If it takes you several more hours to do a head job someone else can do in less time, who made out? The quality is the same but it took you two hours more time to do the same job. Even when you own a business, there are still only 24 hours each day.

By being a profectionist your work area will always be ready to work in. You won't see crap laying on the floor. The floor will be clean, tools will be centrally located etc.etc.etc.. You won't waste time looking for anything.

Just because you build a shop, spend money letting everyone know you're in business, doesn't mean everyone will rush to your door to spend money. You'll spend time providing free information. Folks will always want something for nothing.

Buy or build a home with an attached work area. Don't be screwing around building race engines in a single family housing developing. Don't spend the money to rent or build a building until the business can support it.

Jeg's as an example didn't spring up over night. Sr. was, still is, an Ohio racer. All of the after market racing performance companies were in California. So, he started a business building and selling race car parts.

Go for it - start small - keep the paying job - have fun. Too many people set on their *** too many years thingking about doing something they never do. You say you're a prefectionist. Well, sounds like you're smart enough to make a business plan. A wife willing to not see you too often should be part of your plans. If nothing else she can do the books.

An old man and his dog!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to so badly. I know it can hurt cause the time but i like when someone looks at your work and says wow that looks awesome who did that not omg what is that crap. I really would like to try it. As you said i would start small and keep a ft job for now and see what happens. Iam currently doing a F14 cam for a friend and i just dropped the motor out of a friends 01 to put a LPE motor in for him. I enjoy it and i take pride it doing things the rite way. Iam in the middle of home shopping so nothing will happen within the next few months but maybe end of the year. Thanks for the advise and words of wisdom. Iam always open to suggestions.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Default Business

Being a perfectionist will help because if you are satisfied with the job done the customer will be to. Customers are less likely to complain about a quality job than a havazz job. Secondly when you do open a shop I would suggest putting employees as contract labor..that way they pay their own taxes and thats less out your pocket. When you have a small business you match what is taken out of your employees check. i.e ( if bill made $1000 for the week and 200 was taken out for taxes you will be sending the irs 400.) We've been open almost 5 years now and trust me it kills you.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a buisness....