Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Odds and ends of work with race team?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Odds and ends of work with race team?

Can anyone tell me what steps you have to take to work with the pro drag race teams?

This is what I have been told so far,

I was told that when it comes to NASCAR, DEI requires their engine builders to have their A&P (waiting for the test date to come and I will have it and my A.S. once I get it). I went to A&P school before I starting thinking about racing though.

For the drag race teams I was told to apply with the teams and start out cleaning and doing things like that. I did and never heard anything however, "The Sarge" told a buddy of mine in person that you have to apply in person and can't just e-mail your resume to HR. Him and I both live rather close to DSR.

Can you get on with a team and not have to travel or at least travel rarley and just do work in the shop? I know having your CDL really helps getting on with the crews but I would rather not travel a lot.

Currently I am an aircraft structures mechanic.

I am planning on applying at DSR and a local John Force shop this summer after things settle down.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

You need to make up your mind on what you want to do and plan for it to take atleast 10 years for it to happen.If you want to make any money you have to go on the road... Drag racing is one of the lowest paying forms of racing friend of mine knows a lead crewman for a good fuel team and he makes 45k...lives on the road driving race to race..The NASCAR market is Impossable to get into rightnow and is only going to get worse with the COT's and NASCAR strangle hold on the rules...
Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I dont mean to crush your hopes but racing is changing and not for the better..Im in it rightnow because I have no idea how to do anything else that even comes close to the same pay.I can only speak from my experence in Stock car racing... going on 11 years.Experenced people are in low demand and high supply... with the layoffs and down sizing these a few hundred people looking for work rightnow.I have started looking for other forms or racing to get into.. off road... Grand Am... something that is on the up swing rather than down...If you have a good job in Avaition keep it.. go to your local race track drag strip or race team and try to volunteer it will give you a taste of whats instore while geting some experence and a foot in the door if you decide to go full time.. Its not a job its a total way of life 50 70 hours a week ,weeknds on Salary travel all over the place stress politics back stabbing it can be fun....
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

No problem man, its nice to hear the negatives

I don't have th egreatest job but its a job, aviation is like racing, lots of layoffs and high supply low demand.

What about machine shop/engine builder work? I know of a few local GOOD builders.

If I could find something making the same amount of money of close I would be happy (Im not at the top of the pay scale or even near it for aviation sheet metal)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=JUICED96Z;8665373]

I don't have th egreatest job but its a job, aviation is like racing, lots of layoffs and high supply low demand.

QUOTE]

same **** down there I see
Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Word.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Listen to what CTSmechanic says. It's not all the glamor and glory your thinking.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a website alot of drag racing crew guys/drivers post on. Join up and ask some questions over there. You'll have to verify yourself by paying a dollar through paypal/creditcard to be able to post. It's a pretty informative site with inside info in the industry.

http://www.nitromater.com/pit-area/

Last edited by Hawkn01; 02-14-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Can anyone tell me what steps you have to take to work with the pro drag race teams?

This is what I have been told so far,

I was told that when it comes to NASCAR, DEI requires their engine builders to have their A&P (waiting for the test date to come and I will have it and my A.S. once I get it). I went to A&P school before I starting thinking about racing though.

For the drag race teams I was told to apply with the teams and start out cleaning and doing things like that. I did and never heard anything however, "The Sarge" told a buddy of mine in person that you have to apply in person and can't just e-mail your resume to HR. Him and I both live rather close to DSR.

Can you get on with a team and not have to travel or at least travel rarley and just do work in the shop? I know having your CDL really helps getting on with the crews but I would rather not travel a lot.

Currently I am an aircraft structures mechanic.

I am planning on applying at DSR and a local John Force shop this summer after things settle down.

David- I have connections into the world- Kalitta racing is hiring people- I can give you a name for them, but they are in Yipsilante Michigan...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by indirocz28
David- I have connections into the world- Kalitta racing is hiring people- I can give you a name for them, but they are in Yipsilante Michigan...
I just bought a house that I have not even moved into yet hahaha but thanks though.

Thanks for the above link.

I know its not all glamor and glory, I am not used to that kind of life.... the other day I was working on a 737 with my head laying 2 feet away from the pooper hole....... the hole poop goes down on a plane..............

Quick Reply: Odds and ends of work with race team?