Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Good Salesman Here, Possibly Looking for a Job in the Automotive Industy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good Salesman Here, Possibly Looking for a Job in the Automotive Industy

Hey guys,

I've been a member here for a while, ever since I decided I was going to build an Ls1 Rx7, ever since then I surf the forums at least a few hours every day.. I have a lot of time to surf forums at my current job though.

I have been working in car sales for about 8 months now and I cant say things have been all bad. I work for an Infiniti dealership in New England and I for having just graduated from college, I have been making good money, anywhere from 4-9K a month, but the job is pretty brutal.. as everyone already knows. I knew this going in but I want to be around cars.. I love cars. I started the car club at my college (where I would spend 3-4 nights a week out on the streets of miami or at the track), I'm building my project car (at least when I'm not working, which is never) and I spend probably 6-8 hours a day just surfing forums. I knew I didnt want to work on cars for a living because I would be working on **** boxes most of the time, and I know I'de hate cars if I was fixing **** boxes every day. I love fast cars and I do like working on them.. I just dont want to get sick of it.

Really cars, and hopes of owning a dealership one day, are the only reason I'm in the car sales. After finding out I need 2+ million in cash to even buy into a major franchise.. I just dont know about the feasability of starting my own dealership anymore. I know I can sell cars, even though I'm the most straight forward guy you'll ever meet, because I love them and I get other people excited about them. If I had to sell anything but cars or car related stuff I prob wouldent be that great at it.. and I'm pretty decent at car sales, usually within the top 3-5 in the region in my first year in the business.

I know my college degree opens doors that otherwise wouldent be open.. I could always go sell computer solutions to huge multi million dollar companies and make at least what I'm making now and have a normal schedule.. if not a lot more money depending on how good I am at it and it is tempting.. but I'm trying to not give up on my dreams.

I want to stay in the car industry.. I just wish I knew of another way to be in the industry and be around something I love without giving up my life to car sales which is usually more about working people out of more money.. rather than talking cars. Selling performance parts sounds like a great job.. I just dont think the pay or the customer base is there.. I hope I'm wrong.

If you guys know of anything to suggest please let me know. I am just rambling after a long frustrating day at work in hopes someone opens my eyes to a better fit where I can put my passion skills to even better use.

Last edited by sciff5; 03-01-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

ttt

The fact that no one has an idea confirms the fact that even after searching for something else, selling cars is the best option for me.. although not a great one.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I feel your pain. I did it for five years, top CSI, top grosser, and a large return Cust. base. I to was very open and honest and found that by being so, I had more success. Reading your post is like reading my own autobio. I got burnt out, the 9 pm nights, the every Saturday, The holiday's etc. being with my new family became more important to me You know the deal. The one thing that has rang true afterwards is you will always take that sale expierence with you the rest of your life. I went back into construction running heavy equipment, sure the money sucks, and right know I'm looking for something else but the quality of life is priceless. But I wouldn't trade my time on the floor for anything. You learn alot about people, and alot of things that teach you to be successful. Good luck, if you find something that combines all the things your looking for, fill me in will ya. We'll brain storm
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7998
Man I feel your pain. I did it for five years, top CSI, top grosser, and a large return Cust. base. I to was very open and honest and found that by being so, I had more success. Reading your post is like reading my own autobio. I got burnt out, the 9 pm nights, the every Saturday, The holiday's etc. being with my new family became more important to me You know the deal. The one thing that has rang true afterwards is you will always take that sale expierence with you the rest of your life. I went back into construction running heavy equipment, sure the money sucks, and right know I'm looking for something else but the quality of life is priceless. But I wouldn't trade my time on the floor for anything. You learn alot about people, and alot of things that teach you to be successful. Good luck, if you find something that combines all the things your looking for, fill me in will ya. We'll brain storm

Lol thanks man, I know anyone else whos spent time in the industry knows exactly what I'm talkin about.

I'll deff let you know if I find something
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like if I stay in the industry I'll be goign into service as a service advisor.

I dont know of anywhere in the performance automotive industry that I can make pretty much 50K garunteed every year with a chance to make as much as 100K after a couple years of experience. But if you guys know of any opportunities in the performance realm I'de sure like to hear about them.

Quick Reply: Good Salesman Here, Possibly Looking for a Job in the Automotive Industy