Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Automotive Engineers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive Engineers?

Anyone on here take this route? I'm going to be a sophmore in college studying Mechanical Engineering but I want to branch off and specify on Automotive Engineering. I would really like to be an Engineer for GM but with the automotive industry taking a **** I don't know if that is going to be a wise decision.

I am into racing very much and would love to make it a career. I was wondering if the pit guys in like NASCAR or NHRA are Engineers at all...or at least maybe the pit managers. It seems like there would be at least one Engineer.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RippinZ121
Anyone on here take this route? I'm going to be a sophmore in college studying Mechanical Engineering but I want to branch off and specify on Automotive Engineering. I would really like to be an Engineer for GM but with the automotive industry taking a **** I don't know if that is going to be a wise decision.

I am into racing very much and would love to make it a career. I was wondering if the pit guys in like NASCAR or NHRA are Engineers at all...or at least maybe the pit managers. It seems like there would be at least one Engineer.
I was going to do the same thing as you... best thing you can do is get an internship. I interned at Chrysler and decided against moving up towards Detroit, even though I had an opportunity to work in SRT. Production cars aren't very fun.

NHRA has few engineers on the circuit, though they hire a lot of outside consultants for work that needs to be done. NASCAR/IRL do have quite a few engineers, but good luck getting a spot unless you know somebody or just get lucky. It helps if you start by moving to North Carolina.

Pretty much all motorsports engineering requires an MS, which I am now working on while working full time. Kinda wish I would have stayed in school just to finish it. Formula SAE experience is huge too.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup.. Formula SAE best project possible to get you into the automotive field.

Remember.. the Automotive industry is not going away, its just changing.. and it requires ENGINEER's to change it! There are jobs for those who are passionate about what they do and are good at it.

As a side note, there isnt nearly as much money in motorsports engineering.. unless your high up there in a top racing field.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Two Things:
The intership advice is solid, GM at least works where they scout people in sophmore years and take them in for three years in a row. GM is also a good company to look at since they have a high average age. The downside is that you only have 5-10 years of job security before you get laid off and they hire some young college kid to the job for half the pay.

Secondly, consider going with suppliers. If you want job security a place like DENSO is a good place to go. A had a friend do some time at DENSO, he got posted as a resident to GM, and GM hired him away so he got into GM with that method. Another friend of mine wanted to work for GM and had blinders on, he never bothered to apply to DENSO, A/C Delco, etc. Just went to GM year after year and got rejected every year. Now he works for John Deere and engineers lawn tractors.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

I'm trying to get into the automotive field, but I would like to stay in central FL, or maybe the NYC area, but don't really think there's anything there for me to get started in. I'm just talking internships, which wouldn't be worth moving for.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Troux
I'm trying to get into the automotive field, but I would like to stay in central FL, or maybe the NYC area, but don't really think there's anything there for me to get started in. I'm just talking internships, which wouldn't be worth moving for.
Most interships off a moving stipend to set you up in an apartment and stuff for the summer.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

automotive engineering interships usually pay pretty well....
Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I have a current internship at American Axle, I go to Michigan. Tech and know a bunch of people at GM, most of them were involved in a project called Challenge X. If you go to a school that is involved with that you have a really good chance.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am signed up in the Society of Automotive Engineers(SAE) with school and we did the mini baja and the formula. It just seems like its so hard to get even an internship at these places and with our economy so messed up I'm not sure its even worth doing engineering.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RippinZ121
I am signed up in the Society of Automotive Engineers(SAE) with school and we did the mini baja and the formula. It just seems like its so hard to get even an internship at these places and with our economy so messed up I'm not sure its even worth doing engineering.

believe me it is worth it to do engineering, it will pay off, it is a hard degree to get but the earnings that you will receive from your degree will make it all worth it
Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blander66
believe me it is worth it to do engineering, it will pay off, it is a hard degree to get but the earnings that you will receive from your degree will make it all worth it
I agree. BSEE here. I currently work on ECMs (we call them PCMs) and the work is great, fun, and always around. And the earnings allow me to have a F/I f-body as well as 2 bikes, on top of my DD. Earning the degree was a true pita, but well worth it in the long run.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

How old are you guys? Did you get your jobs right outa college?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Not an automotive engineer but am a degreed mechanical engineer.

Have worked at Boeing, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman and now am currently working at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena.

Has been an awesome career and would do it all over again if had to.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Formula SAE + internship

This is a bad time to get on as well. Maybe it'll be better when you graduate.

I wanted in the auto industry, did aerospace for a few years, and ended up in the oilfield...who knew.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

The problem is that you don't make any money in the Auto industry but I am sure it would be fun. I love solving problems.

GM sucks to work for though.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

How did you get your internships Ritchie?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I did 9 years at GM. Had it's ups and downs. Did quite a few different positions while there, from production stuff on the software side to Performance Division to some race support back to production on the calibration side.

To be honest I got really tired of the monotony, and jumped ship about 18 months ago before the **** really hit the fan.

Did the FSAE gig, no internship, direct hire to powertrain out of college with BSEE/MSEE. Never used a thing I learned in college either
Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Never used a thing I learned in college either
I couldn't agree more. Former FSAE member from UofA. Tried to get interships but no luck ended up working in optics. Then recently making the jump to Raytheon.

Defense pays good and as long as your not a moron you have will always have a job.

Good luck but remember some times a hobby should stay a hobby so you don't get burnt out.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

I worked as a Test Engineer for GM until a few years ago, and a Japanese manufacturer before then. My experience at GM was fantastic and I would have stayed there forever if not for layoffs. Other Engineers I worked with at the Japanese Company thought they were automobile experts because they read Car and Driver (for real).

Now I'm in the Missile Defense Industry and would probably recomend Defense depending on the product. If your just getting out of school and want to go to work for GM, go for it. As said above, there is the supplier route.

There's a ton of people who work for the auto manufacturers who are not even into cars, and thats a shame. Good luck.

Last edited by TT632; 08-18-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TT632
There's a ton of people who work for the auto manufacturers who are not even into cars, and thats a shame. Good luck.
that's also the root of alot of problems no fundamental understanding of the product you design.

Quick Reply: Automotive Engineers?