Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

OMG! America can make decent sedans

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Unfortunately, none of those cars hold a candle to the TOP SELLING sedans the folks in the US buy.
Wont hold a candle in what sense?

I think recently, Caddy has been doing a good job of bringing fun and driving pleasure to the sedan.
Exactly, they have been making cars (namely the CTS) similar to the ones I listed and have been selling like hot cakes until recently.

For the american auto industry to build something there needs to already be a market for a product. Or they think there is a market for something so they build it. I think the G8 is a prime example of a car built for a market that really doesn't exist.
The problem with the G8 is the timing, the economy is in the ******* and no one is buying cars.
In my opinion fun and sedan don't mix.
Clearly you have never driven any of the above cars. (G8 and CTS included)

A family sedan is around 25 K, seats 5, and has a trunk. This is based on a family of four, one income, with an income of say 50 - 65K. I can't see too many folks in this income level spending the money required on your fun to drive list, yet haul people.
Right, and a car is just a vehicle with 4 wheels that transports you from A to B, and there is no difference between any of them, and there is no passion involved.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+10000000
I've had the displeasure of driving a town car . Ok, I understand its just supposed to be a reliable, big people hauler, and by god it does its job well but its light years away from being the "best" anything. ICEMAN 31 go take a CTS for a test drive...[/QUOTE]

I like the CTS, the new styling is top notch and its great but I feel like I am going to break it. Thats me I use to box heavily and am a pretty big guy so I find bigger sedans better. Was raised around 70 and 80's cadillacs and continentals and impalas to me a cts is like they added two doors to a coupe, its dainty. I will agree that in elegance and trinkets and styling the cts is by far better. But when it comes to reliability, comfort, overall how well every part of the car holds up over time, not just engine, there the cts is left miles back by the town car.

I guess its more of if you truly been around these cars for a long time (almost 30 years for me). Like the fbody, their are better cars and nicer interiors and this and that but you get that feeling when you drive it that only your TA delivers. So what I am saying is I am biased to the older land yachts. I do like the new STS though
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
I am guessing this is a thread for the under 40 grand sedan, because to me the lincoln town car is the defention of the best sedan ever made. A ride whose comfort is second to none, and being a kid who was raised by a dad who had a limo buisness, the only car I can think of that can take 200,000 miles in just one year and not have any issues or not even a crease in the leather. Even right now he has an 06 town car in his garage with 305,000 miles on it and only a radiator replaces and looks like it has 0 miles on it. And I had a 95 town car that had close to 450 thousand miles and I can honestly say it never failed me and only went through 2 window motors and the rest was routine maintanence. These are all limo cars so thats why they get so many miles in so little time
Crown Victorias (just look at all of the extremely beaten on and abused police cars and taxi cabs still running strong) and Grand Marquis aren't too far behind either.

And yes, as far as pure luxury and roominess, Town Cars (and the older big Cadillacs) have always been almost like driving around in your living room.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

"Clearly I haven't driven any of your fun to drive sedans" wrong

I haven't kept track of the number of vehicles I've sold, really doesn't matter. I began in the auto business in 1968. I haven't driven the G-8.

Most recently I evaluated all used cars at the dealership to confirm they were worth spending the money on to become part of our inventory. Or walked through each used car we bought with a ASA mechanic confirming repair costs to bring used car up to our dealership standards. I was paid to do this what do you do for a living?

Bottom line I value your opinion............. My opinion differs from yours. All of your hot cars are expensive to keep on the road. I would be happy to allow you to sell new Chevrolets or used cars for 30 days in Ohio if you're interested.

Jakes Dad

Last edited by Jakes Dad; 01-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

I seldom check this site from home. Today I was interested in seeing if anyone wanted a job in the auto industry.

Please remember, even I am not correct 100% of the time. My attitudes stem from the following facts. On every issue there is always a right way, wrong way, and my way.

Jakes Dad
Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Clearly I haven't driven any of your fun to drive sedans" wrong

I haven't kept track of the number of vehicles I've sold, really doesn't matter. I began in the auto business in 1968. I haven't driven the G-8.

Most recently I evaluated all used cars at the dealership to confirm they were worth spending the money on to become part of our inventory. Or walked through each used car we bought with a ASA mechanic confirming repair costs to bring used car up to our dealership standards. I was paid to do this what do you do for a living?

Bottom line I value your opinion............. My opinion differs from yours. All of your hot cars are expensive to keep on the road. I would be happy to allow you to sell new Chevrolets or used cars for 30 days in Ohio if you're interested.

Jakes Dad
So you've driven(by driven I mean more than through the car lot, try on a winding back road) newer (newer than 1990) BMW, Audi, MB, Subaru etc. sedans and not enjoyed yourself in them, or at least enjoy yourself more than in a sloppy FWD sedan?
Honestly I don't believe you because quite frankly you wouldn't be making the stupid comments if you had driven such cars.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Starting today I'll keep of log of what I drive and how I liked it.

Normally, I never drive a private, dealership - new or used vehicle hard. My attitude has always been why abuse a vehicle someone else is going to buy?

I read every car magazine that comes through the dealership. That's good enough for me.

I think you're missing my point. I obviously am missing yours. I'll close with this. The four door sports sedans that are fun to drive, according to you, aren't sellers. ie the market is too small. Most folks with children aren't interested in driving above the speed limits on straight or non straight roads.

All new cars and trucks are fun to drive. Thanks for the conversation.

Jakes Dad
Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Starting today I'll keep of log of what I drive and how I liked it.

Normally, I never drive a private, dealership - new or used vehicle hard. My attitude has always been why abuse a vehicle someone else is going to buy?
So just as I thought, only driving the car across the parking lot...
No need to abuse the cars, just take one out on the highway and get a feel for how it drives. The said sports sedans will make the typical large FWD sedan feel like a 1980s barge in comparison.

I read every car magazine that comes through the dealership. That's good enough for me.
So then you know that the big FWD sedans never win (or even come close) when compared to the sports sedans?

I think you're missing my point. I obviously am missing yours. I'll close with this. The four door sports sedans that are fun to drive, according to you, aren't sellers. ie the market is too small.
The BMW 3 series is a seller globally. The cars your trying to defend like the Impala get most of their sales figures from rental car lots, company fleet cars, taxi and police cars...

Most folks with children aren't interested in driving above the speed limits on straight or non straight roads.
Right,and that's why most of the population who own performance cars are married with children? And who said anything about speeding?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The BMW 3 series is a seller globally. The cars your trying to defend like the Impala get most of their sales figures from rental car lots, company fleet cars, taxi and police cars...
Oh, and BMW gets none of those "globally sold" 3 series sales figures from rental fleets and taxi services as well?
Been to Europe lately?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

JD AMG

I still say the average 4 door sedan is bought by a family making 65K or less. These FWD cars are fun to drive..

People don't care how a car sells globally. Many young folks are too image orientated. Price, size, ride, looks, cost to operate are selling points.

YOUR BMW makes a M3 Sedan. Cost 59K. goes through skidpad .95 slalom 72.9
Chev makes a LTZ Malubu 28K .81 63.8
YOUR AUDI A53.2 Quattro 48K .91 67.1
YOUR MERC E320 59K .83 62.0
YOUR G35 36K .88 67.3
YOUR WRX 28K .87 67

Thank gXX for magazines tests.

It's been a long time since GM, Ford, or Chrysler have introduced a new model that replaced a previous model where there weren't improvements. A fun to drive 4 door vehicle doesn't need to cost more than 28K, or be RWD or AWD drive to transport people.

If you want to be thrilled all the time try an amusement park.

Jakes Dad
Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Oh, and BMW gets none of those "globally sold" 3 series sales figures from rental fleets and taxi services as well?
Been to Europe lately?
If Im not mistaken 5 and 7 series are used as taxis, not the 3 series. And unless its a higher end rental lot, you're only going to find POS FWD hatches to rent over there.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

JD AMG

I still say the average 4 door sedan is bought by a family making 65K or less. These FWD cars are fun to drive..

People don't care how a car sells globally. Many young folks are too image orientated. Price, size, ride, looks, cost to operate are selling points.

YOUR G35 36K .88 67.3
YOUR WRX 28K .87 67

Why exactly are you comparing the top of the line (MANY class above your "competition" listed) cars to lower level cars?
And what exactly are you trying to show by posting skidpad and slalom figures?

Try this one for fairness.
BMW 328i $33,175
INFINITI G35 SPORT $33,115
MERCEDES C300 SPORT $31,975
AUDI A4 $29,675
Cadillac CTS $32,990
Lexus IS $31,980
MB C-Class $32,975
Pontiac G8 $28,875
WRX $24,995
Subaru Legacy $21,140

These are fun to drive sedans for relatively cheap (and even the bare bones base models are fun to drive).
This is from Car&Driver's database.

It's been a long time since GM, Ford, or Chrysler have introduced a new model that replaced a previous model where there weren't improvements.
Never said they haven't done so. For the most part they are making huge improvements, but that is in no way the point I am trying to make. I am in no way shape or form attacking the big 3, but rather attacking over weight/over sized FWD sedans.

A fun to drive 4 door vehicle doesn't need to cost more than 28K,
Yep, just as I have shown.
or be RWD or AWD drive to transport people.
Sorry but all else equal(I must emphasize this before anyone trys to compare a lame RWD vehicle to a less lame FWD vehcle) a FWD car will not be near as fun to drive as a RWD or AWD car. NOT just because of performance (lack of) but because of feel and control over the car.

Jakes Dad
And you wonder why you're not selling cars...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why exactly are you comparing the top of the line (MANY class above your "competition" listed) cars to lower level cars?
And what exactly are you trying to show by posting skidpad and slalom figures?

Try this one for fairness.
BMW 328i $33,175
INFINITI G35 SPORT $33,115
MERCEDES C300 SPORT $31,975
AUDI A4 $29,675
Cadillac CTS $32,990
Lexus IS $31,980
MB C-Class $32,975
Pontiac G8 $28,875
WRX $24,995
Subaru Legacy $21,140

These are fun to drive sedans for relatively cheap (and even the bare bones base models are fun to drive).
This is from Car&Driver's database.

Never said they haven't done so. For the most part they are making huge improvements, but that is in no way the point I am trying to make. I am in no way shape or form attacking the big 3, but rather attacking over weight/over sized FWD sedans.

Yep, just as I have shown.

Sorry but all else equal(I must emphasize this before anyone trys to compare a lame RWD vehicle to a less lame FWD vehcle) a FWD car will not be near as fun to drive as a RWD or AWD car. NOT just because of performance (lack of) but because of feel and control over the car.

And you wonder why you're not selling cars...

I can't believe this. Am I actually agreeing with you Good points on all accounts.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not going to sit here and say that the big three haven't been shooting themselves in the foot for a long time, but let's look at the successes they do have.

New Malibu is the North American Car of the Year, The CTS was before that., the Cobalt SS sedan just got second place in an eight car comparison in Motor Trend, the Silverado and and Sierra are the best selling trucks in the world pretty much since they've been selling (combined they almost double the F150), the new v6 Camaro has been compared to a G37 and a 3 series instead of a Mustang, and the New ZR1 Vette is handing every sports car over 200k it's ***.

The new Fusion Hybrid gets better mileage than the Camry hybrid, The upcoming Taurus is already being proclaimed the new standard for the big three's car's, the new F150 is still doubling the sales of the Tundra, the Explorer sport trac sells hand over fist even though it's truck bed is useless, and if they ever truly get the Euro spec focus here they'd have a world class compact.

Detroit can make car's they have just been out of the business for so long it took them a minute to remember it. If it isn't too late, and they can manage to change their public perception (I've yet to own a Camry that impressed me and I've owned an 05 and an 07, about the same quality as my 00 Malibu, just looked prettier, and the Toyota's were in the shop more) they should do really well.

I also don't understand why a car brand that averages over 300 warranty repairs per 100 vehicles sold over the course of three years sells well enough to survive here (jd power dependability tests = hyundai/kia, at least hyundai the infiniti/lexus competitor only averages 250+). It's all about image.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JD AMG

YOUR G35 36K .88 67.3
YOUR WRX 28K .87 67

It's been a long time since GM, Ford, or Chrysler have introduced a new model that replaced a previous model where there weren't improvements. A fun to drive 4 door vehicle doesn't need to cost more than 28K, or be RWD or AWD drive to transport people.

Jakes Dad
Those number's only hurt your argument btw, compare the CTS/G8 to those cars not a FWD Malibu. The Bu only comes close to the E320, and considering that is an almost 4700 lb land whale, it's not impressive.

Chevrolet has no competitor to the car's you listed, except the Cobalt Vs. WRX, which the Cobalt SS just won in Mxxxx Txxxx. On a circuit track, not 1/4. The only thing they have that is RWD is the Vette until the Camaro comes out, and neither are competitor's to the car's you listed.

If you do sell Chevrolet vehicles, keep your comparison's where they should be,

Cobalt = Civic/Corolla
Malibu = Camry/Accord
Impala = Avalon (and don't try to sell someone the SS unless they ask you about it)

Oh you should also maybe look up some gm inside news sites so if a customer walks in asking you about upcoming models you have an inkling of an idea of what's going on. I went to six different dealerships and asked about the upcoming ZR1 and none of them knew anything about a supercharged Corvette. WHY DO YOU WORK FOR CHEVROLET IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE PRODUCTS?????!!!!!!!

Ok, that last comment wasn't directed at you specifically, but seriously know your job or let people who know the industry in to try and help it.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Of course America can make decent sedans, ever been in a 300M, my mom has an 02' and the car has been nothing but excellent, for the family. Comfortable, spacious, reliable, decent efficiency, and reasonably quick. And has handsome looks as well
Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kain01
Those number's only hurt your argument btw, compare the CTS/G8 to those cars not a FWD Malibu. MY ARGUEMENT HAS BEEN YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY FOR A NON DOMESTIC RWD VEHICLE THAT COSTS MORE TO HAVE A FUN CAR TO DRIVE..

Chevrolet has no competitor to the car's you listed. WOW YOU'RE AS SHARP AS A TACK. YOU'RE RIGHT CHEVROLET VEHICLES DON'T COST AS MUCH AS THE ONES I LISTED

If you do sell Chevrolet vehicles, keep your comparison's where they should be. THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT 4 DOOR SEDANS. NOT A GENERAL OPINION ON THE AUTO INDUSTRY.

Oh you should also maybe look up some gm inside news sites so if a customer walks in asking you about upcoming models you have an inkling of an idea of what's going on. I went to six different dealerships and asked about the upcoming ZR1 and none of them knew anything about a supercharged Corvette. WHY DO YOU WORK FOR CHEVROLET IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE PRODUCTS?????!!!!!!! ALL CHEVROLET SALES ASSOCIATES, AND EVERY OTHER BRAND, ARE TESTED ON PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE. HOW MANY ZR1 TESTS ARTICLES HAVE THERE BEEN? WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBABLY HAVE WANTED TO KNOW? "GIVE ME A SHOT AT YOUR ALL IMPORTANT QUESTIONS" JAKES DAD WHY WOULD ANY COMMISSION SALES ASSOCIATE WASTE TIME TALKING TO ANYONE ABOUT SUCH A LOW VOLUME VEHICLE? I'VE BEEN TELLING THIS BOARD, FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS, MOST CAR GUYS ARE GONE FROM THE AUTO INDUSTRY.

WHY GO TO 6 DEALERSHIPS? YOU'RE A CHEVY GUY! WHY IN THE HELL DON'T YOU KNOW THE OWNER OF YOUR FAVORITE CHEVROLET DEALER? WHO IS YOUR PAST SALES ASSOCIATE? YOU SHOULD KNOW THE PARTS MANAGER ON A FIRST NAME BASIS. I'LL BET YOU DON'T!

WITH THE LIMITED PRODUCTION NUMBERS THE ZR-1 WILL HAVE - ONLY HIGH VOLUME CORVETTE DEALERS WILL HAVE INFORMATION. LET ME GIVE YOU A LITTLE HINT. WHEN YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A 100K VEHICLE DO A LITTLE LEG WORK. TRY THE INTERNET - PHONE - FIND OUT WHO AT THE DEALERSHIP BEST KNOWS ABOUT THE PRODUCT YOU'RE INTERESTED IN. DON'T DRIVE TO THE DEALERSHIP IN YOUR UGO OR WHAT EVER. DON'T PULL YOUR PANTS UP THREE TIMES FROM THE CAR TO THE BUILDING. DON'T DRIVE AROUND THE LOT LOOKING FOR A MODEL.

AND YES I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SELL CHEVROLETS. NORMALLY USED BECAUSE MY USED CARS STAND OUT. #2 IN THE AREA FOR CERTIFIED GM CARS OUT OF 26 DEALERS. ALL OF THIS HAPPENS IN OHIO. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE WORLD OF AUTOMOBILE SALES I'LL GET YOU A JOB.

Ok, that last comment wasn't directed at you specifically, but seriously know your job or let people who know the industry in to try and help it.
OK YOU MADE THE STATEMENT. SEND ME A PM. IF YOU'RE DRUG FREE AND HAVE A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD I'LL MAKE YOU A STAR!

JAKES DAD
Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LEO
I think Mercedes makes the best sedans around. They have second to none build quality,
If by second to none you mean the next step up above no build quality you're right.

Mercedes builds the most unreliable luxury cars in the world. They're worse built than their German counterparts(which aside from Porsche suck ***** as it is) as well as both GM and Ford's new products.

Expensive doesn't equal well built.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sinner
If by second to none you mean the next step up above no build quality you're right.

Mercedes builds the most unreliable luxury cars in the world. They're worse built than their German counterparts(which aside from Porsche suck ***** as it is) as well as both GM and Ford's new products.

Expensive doesn't equal well built.
Ever get inside a ten year old Mercedes? They feel sturdy and the materials handle wear and tear better then any other sedans I can think of. I've had plenty of friends that have owned them and they love them. What is your idea or better yet which brand do you feel stands above the rest? However, I'm sure you would prefer a 1998 Cavalier because as you said expensive doesn't equal well built. What about those well built Kia's to suit your taste.

Quick Reply: OMG! America can make decent sedans