Search

Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota looking for Bailout!!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: 1
Default Toyota looking for Bailout!!

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/03/auto...reut/index.htm

Wow Toyota made it a few months longer then the Big 3. They're also looking to get bailed out, I guess all them years of inferior product and bad business decisions has finally caught up with them.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17

a sign of the times.... things will get worse still before they get better
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Restricted User

Trader Rating: 24
Send a message via AIM to Blakbird24

Epic.

I can't wait to see the wonderland of wisdom that this thread takes us too.

Months of haters ripping on domestic automakers' need for bailout money while swinging from Toyota's *******. No doubt they are going to have some classic excuses for this.
Blakbird24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
TECH Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
Epic.

I can't wait to see the wonderland of wisdom that this thread takes us too.

Months of haters ripping on domestic automakers' need for bailout money while swinging from Toyota's *******. No doubt they are going to have some classic excuses for this.
They probably wont even respond and just hope it dies soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
12 Second Club

Trader Rating: 13

edit: im an idiot & didnt read the link posted. this post was irrelavent and pretty darn retarded thx jamstransam

LIKE BBP on Facebook!!!

Last edited by WSsick; 03-03-2009 at 05:37 PM..
WSsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Teching In

Trader Rating: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSsick View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

We had better not give them even 1 cent. I can't believe they have the nerve to ask for our money.
"The world's top automaker applies for a $2.1 billion loan backed by the Japanese government to keep its finance arm competitive."
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
TECH Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsTransAm View Post
"The world's top automaker applies for a $2.1 billion loan backed by the Japanese government to keep its finance arm competitive."

Could you imagine how much they would be begging for if they weren't already subsidized by the Japnese Goverment.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
12 Second Club

Trader Rating: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsTransAm View Post
lol. im an idiot for being too lazy to read the link. i think you know what i was thinking im editing my post. thanks!

LIKE BBP on Facebook!!!
WSsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
***Repost Police***

Hasn't GM cumulatively asked for something close to $20 billion? Just food for thought. I know you want to hear, "See!! GM didn't really make any bad decisions and their products were always the best, Americans were just stupid." But that's not the truth.
I just don't see how 1k lbs extra would make that truck have shittier mpg. I know weight and gearing help mpg but if they can make a vette with 450hp n trq or more get 30mpg im sure they can make a truck to do the same with an NA gas engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunelevens View Post
Seriously? Weight, gearing, AERO-MOTHAF*CKING-DYNAMICS!! I can't believe you are seriously an engineering student. Are you a freshman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Yea i am a freshman.
Irunelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
TECH Regular

Quote:
Hasn't GM cumulatively asked for something close to $20 billion? Just food for thought. I know you want to hear, "See!! GM didn't really make any bad decisions and their products were always the best, Americans were just stupid." But that's not the truth.

GM did make "some" bad decisions, and in their segment has made some really good cars. And import buying Americans aren't stupid just mis-led and mis-informed.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12

The banks and the fed are the ones who got us into this situation. Bernakie...what a ******' dooschbag on TV today. These ****** are taking us down into a black hole of government waste, abuse, and scandal that will make Hitler look like a boyscout.
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
Restricted User

Quote:
That's not the point at all. There's no doubt GM is worse off than Toyota. The point is that now people can't sit there and say "look at Toyota...they don't need any money". This simply points more and more towards GM's legacy costs being the issues and not the cars they've been making as so many claim. If a company like Toyota, who supposedly has built the greatest cars on earth since the day we learned the earth is round, is needing money, it's obvious that there are bigger forces at work here.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
***Repost Police***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
GM did make "some" bad decisions, and in their segment has made some really good cars. And import buying Americans aren't stupid just mis-led and mis-informed.
So every import has a domestic counterpart that's cheaper and better? I definitely wouldn't go that far.
I just don't see how 1k lbs extra would make that truck have shittier mpg. I know weight and gearing help mpg but if they can make a vette with 450hp n trq or more get 30mpg im sure they can make a truck to do the same with an NA gas engine
Quote:
Seriously? Weight, gearing, AERO-MOTHAF*CKING-DYNAMICS!! I can't believe you are seriously an engineering student. Are you a freshman?
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
TECH Regular

Quote:
So every import has a domestic counterpart that's cheaper and better? I definitely wouldn't go that far.
Short of an S-Class Merc or the likes, yes there is a Domestic counterpart comparable or better. And don't geek out and start with Italian exotics, all I have to say is ZR-1, and Ford GT.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
***Repost Police***

Up until VERY recently, there wasn't really anything to compare with the Mazda3/Civic/Corolla. The Cavalier was a joke; very inexpensive, but also very cheap. An example that I've used before and will use again is my old '05 Frontier Crew Cab V6/6spd. I wanted a midsize/compact truck with good power and a manual transmission. The Frontier was the ONLY truck that met the criteria, and now only Toyota has come out with something comparable. And I would also argue that the Sky/Solstice realistically are only "good" competitors at best in the small sports car segment, even though the Redline and GXP go great in a straightline. If I were getting a minivan I wouldn't get anything other than an Odyssey or Quest. Now if I was looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck or a cheap 1/2 ton to use as a work truck, domestic all the way. Or of course if I wanted something midsized with RWD and a V8.
Quote:
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
***Repost Police***

And for the record, people with enough money to blow $100k+ on a toy don't have to choose one car. If they really wanted, they could have a Ferrari, a ZR-1, and a Ford GT. But I will say that as good as the ZR-1 is for the money, there are definitely corners cut when it comes to the fine details. But that is to be expected from a car that price that does what it can do.
Quote:
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Trader Rating: 11

For the record, I drive a Toyota (not the Prius though ), and I could care less. Everyone is in trouble right now, and I'm not surprised at all. I get to drive my Canadian import again within the next few weeks, so all is well from my perspective.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Restricted User

Quote:
If I were getting a minivan I wouldn't get anything other than an Odyssey or Quest.
So if you were looking at a minivan, you wouldn't even consider one from the company that INVENTED the minivan?

That's interesting. I'm the opposite...if I needed a minivan, i'd probably have to shoot myself...but seriously, if I went looking for one, i'd go nowhere else but a chrysler lot. I sold Odysseys 8 years ago and I have to say they don't hold a candle to a chrysler minivan. That's just one thing Chrysler has right - if the only thing.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
***Repost Police***

8 years ago means very little now... the Chrysler minivans are definitely ok, but they aren't the best IMO. I too would shoot myself, but I was tossing out a hypothetical. I would (and have) consider all options, but I've been in/driven Ford Freestars and Caravans and they feel cheap compared to the Odyssey and Quest. And Chrysler's past quality reputation is questionable. Granted VW does source their Routan minivan from Chrysler, but they change 90% of the bodypanels and almost the entire interior. For a reason.
Quote:
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
That's not the point at all. There's no doubt GM is worse off than Toyota. The point is that now people can't sit there and say "look at Toyota...they don't need any money". This simply points more and more towards GM's legacy costs being the issues and not the cars they've been making as so many claim. If a company like Toyota, who supposedly has built the greatest cars on earth since the day we learned the earth is round, is needing money, it's obvious that there are bigger forces at work here.
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but;
I agree. Also in the news; "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem." If you are out buying up foreign made goods and services, you are NOT helping OUR economy. There are bigger forces at work. But WE don't have to add to them.
Our automakers simply designed and manufactured the cheap *** cars we demanded of them. Toyota simply makes better cheap *** cars..and cheaper. Sounds stupid, but its true. We get what we ask for from our automakers just like we "get the government we deserve."
The latest Corvette is kicking *** in the "supercar" catagories. Toyota has NOTHING that can touch it. It is a testament to GM's capabilities as an automaker and the direct response to the demand of the American people. I would have given our automakers anything they wanted in financial back for the simple fact that THEY have made up a vast amount of the backbone of American economy for almost a century. I am ashamed that our government didn't help them more. This is OURS and WE have to take care of it. Or we lose it along with Crane Cams. Without our products, our banking (who for the most part completely wasted the bailout given to them) and trading system wouldn't have anything to base thier profits on... not without investments abroad.
I think the "bigger forces at work" is our non support of ourselves. I really dig LS1tech because we support each other and our sponsors. If America as a whole was like that, I don't think we would be in nearly the pickle that we are.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
108dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement