Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford Celebrates the Mustang's 45th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Ford Celebrates the Mustang's 45th Anniversary

"The Ford Mustang is one of the world's most beloved automotive and cultural icons." "Since April 17, 1964, it has been a symbol of American freedom and fun."

It was 45 years ago this week that marked the birth of the undisputed king of the American road: the Ford Mustang. And thousands of Mustang fans from all over the world are gathering in Birmingham, Ala. to mark the occasion.

"The Ford Mustang is one of the world's most beloved automotive and cultural icons," said Jim Farley, Ford Group Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "Since April 17, 1964, it has been a symbol of American freedom and fun."

Ford and the Mustang Club of America are commemorating the birth of America's favorite pony car with a four-day celebration at the Barber Motorsports Park. The event is expected to draw more than 2,500 Mustang enthusiasts and their beloved steeds, as well as hundreds of thousands of spectators. Included among those enthusiasts are nine of the muscle car's most enduring fans: original owners of the 1964½ Mustang.

"People come up to the car and they don't believe that I'm the original owner," said Phil Florio, of Summerfield, Fla., about his Wimbledon White 1964½ Mustang Coupe. "I knew from day one that it was going to be a very special vehicle. A lot of car manufacturers have come out with their own particular type of pony car, but there's only one 'first.'"

Laki Malamatenios drove his Poppy Red 1964½ Mustang coupe all the way to Alabama from his home in Grass Valley, Calif. to take part in the 45th anniversary festivities.

"My 'Poppy' is something special," he said. "This car is a chronicle of my life with my family – some happy memories, some sad, but always interesting. Whenever I drive it, my whole life flashes before my eyes."

A host of exciting events are planned for the 45th anniversary celebration. For example, professional road racers – including four-time Mustang champion and SPEED TV personality Tommy Kendall – will be on site to provide hot laps for lucky attendees around the park in Mustang FR500S race cars. And world champion drifter Vaughn Gittin, Jr., will be on hand all weekend to give demonstrations and rides.

"Whether you're a casual observer interested in seeing the latest model Mustang or a true fanatic who eats, sleeps and breathes Mustang, this is where you want to be to celebrate the 45th anniversary," said Steven McCarley, president of the Mustang Club of America.

"The '10 Unleashed" campaign

In addition to the events in Alabama, Ford is commemorating the 45th anniversary of the Mustang by introducing "The '10 Unleashed" campaign, which gives enthusiasts the chance to unleash their Mustang side behind the wheel of the new 2010 Mustang – whether it be drifting in Japan like world champion Vaughn Gittin, Jr. or customizing a new Mustang using Ford Racing Performance Parts.

Through Aug. 15, consumers can submit their own Mustang dream experience in 250 words or less via Ford's "The 'Unleashed" site at www.the2010Mustang.com. Written submissions will be judged based on creativity, uniqueness and execution of idea. Winning submissions will be selected every few weeks, and winners will be able to turn their Mustang experience into reality.

"During its 45 years, Mustang has touched people's lives in so many different ways, and we've enjoyed hearing those stories leading up to the introduction of the new 2010 Mustang," said Allison Revier, Ford Mustang brand manager. "Now, it's time to look forward and create new stories to fill the next chapter in the history book of America's favorite muscle car."

Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Mustang II owns!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Good idea celebrating the 45th because you may not hit a 50th.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackened2k
Ouch!! But they seem to be selling pretty well unfrotuantely
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackened2k
ford is the only one not needing a bailout...gm couldnt even release the camaro in time so im gonna go out on a limb and say it will be here for another 45 years
Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although they(Ford) haven't gotten any bailout money..... yet.... they are bleeding cash just like the rest.... it is only matter of time.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"Warriors in Pink" Mustang?
Sounds like a beast, watch out for that one guys!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Say what you want, but this is pretty impressive. We live in an era where car names die in about 10 years time (or maybe that is just American car names). Regardless, not many cars can say they've been around this long (Mustang and Corvette being the only domestics that spring to mind). Congrats to Ford.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Say what you want, but this is pretty impressive. We live in an era where car names die in about 10 years time (or maybe that is just American car names). Regardless, not many cars can say they've been around this long (Mustang and Corvette being the only domestics that spring to mind). Congrats to Ford.
There's always the Corolla
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Restricted User

It's thanks to the Mustang that we have the Camaro. Also, I applaud Ford for forging on with the car despite all the resistance in the industry, and poor sales...factors that led GM to cancel the Camaro. Ford fought on and the Mustang still lives.

Unfortunately, if GM and Chrysler are allowed to fall...so will Ford soon after. They are headed in the exact same direction...they just have a little more time, that's all. They also have a lot more product improvement needed to compete...GM is a little further on that road. So the situation really is no better at all for Ford.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
It's thanks to the Mustang that we have the Camaro. Also, I applaud Ford for forging on with the car despite all the resistance in the industry, and poor sales...factors that led GM to cancel the Camaro. Ford fought on and the Mustang still lives.

Unfortunately, if GM and Chrysler are allowed to fall...so will Ford soon after. They are headed in the exact same direction...they just have a little more time, that's all. They also have a lot more product improvement needed to compete...GM is a little further on that road. So the situation really is no better at all for Ford.
Touche! Thanks for bringing up that fact. Ford was the orginator, which inspired the creation of the Camaro/Firebird, the Challenger/Barracuda and The Javelin/AMX! The midsize and larger vehicles never cut it for us. It was all about the lightest car with the biggest motor and the F-body fit that bill to a tee! We liberated many big blocks from Impala and Caprices of the day to put them in our Camaros and Firebirds. Unfortunately they shipped those old Impalas overseas and made 2 or 3 Datsuns out of them

The pony cars were the most influential vehicles when I grew up; The real original Z car-the Z-28 (not a fricken Datsun), the Boss Mustangs, Mach1s, T/As, Cudas and AMXs. Great racing that resulted in the best SCCA events ever, where you could watch American vehicles race on American tracks and not all of the Foreign bullshit you see today.

I hope we don't go down the road where we have to see Our auto manufacturers go down. The latest LS powered vehicles have power. They equal the gas mileage that many of the foreign 6 cyl vehicles they are compared against and you can afford to keep them going for 40 years if you want to keep it that long. Hell a 67 small block Camaro can be kept running today for a pentance compared to any modern vehicle. Hell, I was using one up until 2000 for my daily transportation.

Last edited by TT632; 04-21-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes and no. Ford started the "turn-around" a little sooner than GM did, so while GM's current offerings are a little better, I don't know what the public's perception is based on the past 5-10 years. And of course they still have the F-series.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yes and no. Ford started the "turn-around" a little sooner than GM did, so while GM's current offerings are a little better, I don't know what the public's perception is based on the past 5-10 years. And of course they still have the F-series.
Well that's pretty much what I was saying. While Ford took necessary steps sooner to shore up the company, it wasn't until just last year that Ford started with some very promising cars. Up until 2008 they had nothing at all to compete seriously with Toyota and Honda. Conversely, while GM waited until the last possible second to say "OK yeah we need to do something" and work on fixing the company, they did start turning out some good product as early as 2003.

Trucks, as always, are an entirely different story. Japan has been unable to answer the American dominance of the truck market. By all indicators, it won't be until Ford and GM are gone that a Japanese manufacturer can lay claim to a top truck platform.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

On a related topic, the new Fusion looks ******* killer as does the Taurus
wow. Never thought I'd say that about a family sedan....

edit- the new American sedans (Fusion, Malibu, 2010 Taurus, etc) are very nice and have exceptional build quality. Years ahead of where they were 5 years ago. I am a firm believer that they are just as good if not better than the Accord, Camry, and Maxima. The only real question is that if these American cars are as reliable as their Japanese counterparts have proven to be over the past years
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
On a related topic, the new Fusion looks ******* killer as does the Taurus
wow. Never thought I'd say that about a family sedan....

edit- the new American sedans (Fusion, Malibu, 2010 Taurus, etc) are very nice and have exceptional build quality. Years ahead of where they were 5 years ago. I am a firm believer that they are just as good if not better than the Accord, Camry, and Maxima. The only real question is that if these American cars are as reliable as their Japanese counterparts have proven to be over the past years
We can hope. Because they American OEMs are "US" and the Imports are "Them".

Last edited by TT632; 04-23-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Happy birthday, Mustang! You beat us to the pony-car punch, and it's been fun dueling with you ever since as we both fight off the communist imports! Here's to another 45 years of tire-burning war!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well that's pretty much what I was saying. While Ford took necessary steps sooner to shore up the company, it wasn't until just last year that Ford started with some very promising cars. Up until 2008 they had nothing at all to compete seriously with Toyota and Honda. Conversely, while GM waited until the last possible second to say "OK yeah we need to do something" and work on fixing the company, they did start turning out some good product as early as 2003.

Trucks, as always, are an entirely different story. Japan has been unable to answer the American dominance of the truck market. By all indicators, it won't be until Ford and GM are gone that a Japanese manufacturer can lay claim to a top truck platform.
I think what was helping the U.S. with truck market other than them obviously being superior, is the target demographic is different than a passenger car. Manly men want trucks

Congrats mustang hope to see you around another 45

Quick Reply: Ford Celebrates the Mustang's 45th Anniversary