Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Saturn Demise Might Be Saddest Of All

Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saturn Demise Might Be Saddest Of All

Chuck Murray, Contributing Editor -- Design News, April 30, 2009

The demise of Pontiac has grabbed auto industry headlines over the past few days, but little has been said about GM’s abrupt change in plans for its Saturn Corp. Yesterday, the giant automaker said it no longer plans to build Saturns through the end of 2011. Instead, it will phase out Saturn at the end of the 2009 model year.

That’s sad. Those who recall the history of Saturn know that it grew out of GM’s desire to prove that an American automaker could produce small, reliable, affordable vehicles that could compete with those of foreign automakers. Early on, GM did its best to make that happen. It searched the world for the best ideas, poured money into advanced technology, built gigantic new manufacturing facilities, changed the sales experience, adopted new management practices, and essentially built a wall between Saturn and the rest of the company. In its commercials, Saturn called itself, “a different kind of car company.”

Read more: http://www.designnews.com/blog/Elect...est_Of_All.php

Last edited by phirepower; 05-01-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

everyone i know who has a or has had a saturn loves them.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

They are very reliable cars, I think it was foolish of GM to try and re-market them against luxury Toyota's. Oh well, the SKY certainly had potential...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

This is definitely a microcosm of US Strategic Culture...why change when we can just make another system and leave that which is fucked up still fucked up. Reminds me a lot of US industrial production during WWII.

W
Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would never, ever, consider buying one regardless.

Times are tough, time to trim the fat.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked for Saturn for a bit over a year. It was a good experience. Most of the owners are very loyal. The only POS was the L-Series.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

bump!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phirepower
Chuck Murray, Contributing Editor -- Design News, April 30, 2009

The demise of Pontiac has grabbed auto industry headlines over the past few days, but little has been said about GM’s abrupt change in plans for its Saturn Corp. Yesterday, the giant automaker said it no longer plans to build Saturns through the end of 2011. Instead, it will phase out Saturn at the end of the 2009 model year.

That’s sad. Those who recall the history of Saturn know that it grew out of GM’s desire to prove that an American automaker could produce small, reliable, affordable vehicles that could compete with those of foreign automakers. Early on, GM did its best to make that happen. It searched the world for the best ideas, poured money into advanced technology, built gigantic new manufacturing facilities, changed the sales experience, adopted new management practices, and essentially built a wall between Saturn and the rest of the company. In its commercials, Saturn called itself, “a different kind of car company.”

Read more: http://www.designnews.com/blog/Elect...est_Of_All.php
I'm surprised I haven't bought one as many times as I have been shopping them with relatives and co-workers. Have always had a very good dealership experiences in the Saturn showroom and always liked the styling compared to their sister brands. Worst dealership experiences have been in Nissan and Ford dealers.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deelong4002
everyone i know who has a or has had a saturn loves them.
See, I've seen the opposite. I know 5-6 people directly that have had nothing but problems. All stupid, minor issues, but issues nonetheless.

Gas cap SES light (when gas cap is fine), coil spring broke, power window motors failed, electrical issues, poor panel fitment, yada yada.

Nothing critical, but issues I don't see on the same age Toyota/Honda cars. I like where Saturn has gone lately, the quality is finally there, but it's the Daewoo style construction of the past that doomed that brand. It's too bad, because the company they are now really should have had a future.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The saddest part about this is the Oldsmobile lineup bit the bullet so this brand could spread its wings, and now it looks like maybe the wrong brand was axedi in 04. Especially since the Old's brand was outselling Buick and Saturn combined at the time.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs down Didn't turn a Profit in 20 years

The saddest thing about Saturn is in it's 20 year history... Saturn NEVER turned a profit.

That is WHY Saturn is done.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a sc and frekin love it gets 28 around town and 37 on the highway whats to complain
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Bump!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=wabmorgan;11542552]The saddest thing about Saturn is in it's 20 year history... Saturn NEVER turned a profit.

Dealers made money - The car never had an identity. Began as a plastic 4 door. Then added a two doors, than a mid size, suv, van etc etc. Even changed a recognizable name. Tried to become a full line mfg. When you keep building new plants to build new models how do you make money?

VW's bug was a simple little car. Each year VW made simple little changes and built a better bug. That's what Saturn could have been.

We have a favorite beer for a reason. In the American auto industry we've lost brand loyalty because we kept changing the vehicle.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

I always felt Saturn was a diamond, ready to be cut, that GM decided to put in a closet somewhere and never bother to make it shine.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

I work for Saturn and the worst thing that happened to the company is when GM used thier global platforms into saturn. It was just fine when we had the s- cars, L- cars, and vues. Now everything we have except the outlook is a rebadged opel car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saturn Demise Might Be Saddest Of All