Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Penske + Saturn = Good stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penske + Saturn = Good stuff.

http://jalopnik.com/5280144/penske-o...saturn-from-gm

Good stuff. Helps GM, saves jobs, What's not to love here?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Cool

Great news indeed, I've been a fan of many of Penske's racing efforts since I was a kid in the late '70s, Mark Donahue (he and Roger were closely linked up until Mark died in 1975) is still to this day one of my favorite race car drivers of all time, he even lived in the town next to mine (Summit, NJ) at one point in his life.
Thanks Roger.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what there gonna do with it?

Id love to see a production LS3 Sky hehe
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank GOD for Roger Penske. Finally, some good news involving GM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Wonder what there gonna do with it?

Id love to see a production LS3 Sky hehe
Theyre only keeping the Vue, Outlook, and Aura. And if they did keep making the Sky, the saturn brand doesnt produce LS3's so i dont know how that would work out. Plus with upcoming cafe stabdards, i dont think a new company will head in the opposite direction. So is it still going to be called Saturn?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Someone with the automotive, dealership, racing and business background of Roger Penske; Wow! If there was ever a great match this would be it!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Wow, that's great news! Way to step up to the plate and save some jobs!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Good deal! Too bad they didn't pick up Pontiac too. Why no push to sell Pontiac?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill stay tuned to see hwo this plays out. woohoo! good GM news!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTTM
Good deal! Too bad they didn't pick up Pontiac too. Why no push to sell Pontiac?
Because Pontiac belongs to GM. Not to China.. When a brand is for sale that means anyone can buy it. I'm glad they killed it rather than selling it. Perhaps they can bring back Pontiac at a later date.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Because Pontiac belongs to GM. Not to China.. When a brand is for sale that means anyone can buy it. I'm glad they killed it rather than selling it. Perhaps they can bring back Pontiac at a later date.
Imagine if some foreign company got a hold of Pontiac, stripped it of everything muscle and resold nothing but minivans and toaster cars...
Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Finally, something good that is happening that doesn't involve the government! Bob
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Imagine if some foreign company got a hold of Pontiac, stripped it of everything muscle and resold nothing but minivans and toaster cars...
Or worse yet....they build a foreign version of the Trans Am!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Penske + Saturn = Good luck.

Not to be pessimistic, but this is Saturn we're talking about. And when Penske talks about Saturn it sounds a lot like what GM has been doing with Saturn the past five years.

He wants to rebadge South Korean vehicles to sell through these dealerships. How does that "save" GM and US jobs? How is he going to make it work where GM's billions invested failed? Why would people buy Saturn under Penske when they wouldn't buy them under GM?

I read his interview about it on Edmunds and nowhere did he say anything about Saturn's price point - GM's biggest oversight. GM priced Saturn out of the average Saturn fan's hands and everyone else wouldn't spend that much on one. How is he going to fix that?

There's lots questions but little in the way of answers.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well it's good news and it's a good start so I'm happy. I don't see how Penske can associate Saturn with it's performance backround but this is great news!!
I agree with the whole pontiac association with penske might of been better but...this is good in any case!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
Penske + Saturn = Good luck.

Not to be pessimistic, but this is Saturn we're talking about. And when Penske talks about Saturn it sounds a lot like what GM has been doing with Saturn the past five years.

He wants to rebadge South Korean vehicles to sell through these dealerships. How does that "save" GM and US jobs? How is he going to make it work where GM's billions invested failed? Why would people buy Saturn under Penske when they wouldn't buy them under GM?

I read his interview about it on Edmunds and nowhere did he say anything about Saturn's price point - GM's biggest oversight. GM priced Saturn out of the average Saturn fan's hands and everyone else wouldn't spend that much on one. How is he going to fix that?

There's lots questions but little in the way of answers.

He is going to to sell Korean and Chinese made vehicles under the Saturn name. Way to save jobs!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Its feels weird but im excited about this. Now Hendricks should talk GM into selling him Pontiac lol!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

They are only keeping the Aura, Outlook, and Vue on a contact basis for a couple more years. What we have been told is he is going to incorporate Renault into the Saturn brand. The Astra which is another opel small car that replaced the ion, may now be going to Chevy dealerships. Bwahaha that car is a joke and im glad to see that car gone. The Sky was doomed anyway, GM was not going to do the targa version nor were plans for a second gen. Saturn wont be going anywhere anytime soon. We just need a car that stands out and not mainstream middle-age family vehicle's.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Penske already has over 350 stores under his tent including some Saturn. The Saturn he bought could give him another 350 outlets. Time will tell if he can run 700 stores.

Once upon a time a large number, about 50%, of GM sales were to employees, suppliers, etc. With the way things have gone down how many of those previous customers will return to the new GM or the Penske Saturn?

For GM to make money, they say, there needs to be 10 million vehicles sold. I don't think that will happen again. People are already flocking towards used cars. The supply of used cars is already weak. To sell 10 million vehicles leases need to return. If Penske can put together a lease program for Saturns, he'll make money.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

He should not be allowed to bring PRC cars into this nation. This is a horrid ******* idea.

W

Quick Reply: Penske + Saturn = Good stuff.