Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM says reaches deal to sell Saab to Koenigsegg

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM says reaches deal to sell Saab to Koenigsegg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090616/ts_nm/us_gm_saab

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) – Sweden's Koenigsegg, a niche manufacturer of some of the world's fastest and most expensive sports cars, has struck a deal to buy loss-making Saab Automobile from General Motors, the companies said on Tuesday.

In one of the most unlikely pairings in automotive history, the tiny sports car firm of 45 staff is expected to take over a company that employs around 3,400, a cherished Swedish brand that became a national icon for stability and reliability.

GM Europe said on its website the deal, set to close by the end of the third quarter, includes an expected $600 million of financing from the European Investment Bank, guaranteed by the Swedish government. Other terms were not disclosed.

"Additional support is to be provided by GM and Koenigsegg Group AB to fund Saab's operations and product program investments. This includes plans to launch several new products that are in the final stages of development," GM Europe said.

Like its U.S. parent, Saab has been in bankruptcy protection. It has said it needs $1 billion to see it through the crisis and has asked creditors to write off 75 percent of its 10.6 billion crown ($1.4 billion) debt, most of which is owed to GM.

Koenigsegg, which produces powerful roadcars that cost around $1 million, came out of nowhere to emerge as a front-runner to buy Saab.

But analysts are skeptical a tie-up makes sense, noting that Christian von Koenigsegg, founder of the firm bearing his name, has no evident experience owning or running a firm so large.

Last year Koenigsegg made 18 cars, Saab more than 93,000.

"There are no economies of scale between Saab and Koenigsegg. This is a constellation of buyers that probably have different interests than GM, which was driven by volume," said Mikael Wickelgren, an automotive expert at Skovde University, in southwestern Sweden not far from Saab's headquarters.

"This will be a business where one would assume that the owners want to chisel out a personality for Saab. The logic would be in the special and unique. Otherwise I cannot understand this deal."

Koenigsegg has backing from Norwegian entrepreneur Bard Eker, whose holding company owns 49 percent of the car maker.

Halldora von Koenigsegg, spokeswoman for the company and wife of its founder, said a memorandum of understanding had been signed but declined to comment further.

TWO DECADES UNDER GM

The deal would see Saab, which was put up for sale earlier this year, emerge from two decades under its U.S. parent. GM is already in the middle of offloading two other brands -- Saturn and its Hummer SUV line -- as it works to restructure its operations in bankruptcy.

Saab's roughly 220 U.S. dealerships have until Friday to sign an agreement which allow their franchises to be transferred to a new owner, a person familiar with the matter said. Dealers have been asked to prepare for an orderly wind-down should the automaker be unable to close a deal to sell the brand.

While Saab is known for its appeal to safety-conscious but slightly sporty family drivers, Koenigsegg caters for clients who arrive in private jets at the firm's factory, which boasts its own airstrip.

Christian von Koenigsegg, who founded his firm 15 years ago when he was 22, is known in the industry as a quality-obsessed car enthusiast as opposed to a businessman.

But Saab and Koenigsegg do share a history of technological innovation. Koenigsegg has patented some of his own gadgetry while Saab created a sensation in the 1970s with the use of turbo technology in everyday cars.

Now Saab plans to overhaul production and launch new models while absorbing expected losses of about 3 billion Swedish crowns ($382 million) this year. GM plans to narrow its focus to the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac brands under a plan that would transfer majority control to the U.S. government.

An EIB official said its board needed to have key information some six weeks before a meeting. "That means we will not be able to have it ready before the meeting in July, and the next meeting is in September," said Mats Gunnarsson, senior adviser to the EIB management committee.

Joran Hagglund, state secretary for Sweden's industry ministry, told Reuters: "We do not yet know if Koenigsegg group will need loan guarantees or not."

Nonetheless, Industry Minister Maud Olofsson welcomed the news as did Saab worker representatives. She said Saab staff and other residents in the town of Trollhattan, where Saab is headquartered, had been waiting for just a development.

(Additional reporting by Kevin Krolicki and Soyoung Kim in Detroit)

(Writing by Adam ***; Editing by Greg Mahlich, John Stonestreet)
Good for Koenigsegg....

Saab's might start to get a little faster
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I caught that article. Interesting move...and BIG move from a small company.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lord here comes the TT V8 800hp station wagons

look out porky pig camaro saab's a commin!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Well they've got some *****.....I hope they make it
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
lord here comes the TT V8 800hp station wagons

look out porky pig camaro saab's a commin!

wow... that would be something... "hey honey, going to pick up the kids from school, stop by the grocery store, and probably race an F/A 18 on the way home"
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Watchin out for their Swedish brethren....I like it!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Watchin out for their Swedish brethren....I like it!
I was thinking the same thing!
Something that would be nice to see here in the states regarding the Chrysler situation.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bold move from a bold guy. Did yall catch that He started Koenigsegg when he was 22 YEARS OLD!?!?!?!?! I am happy to see it go to its roots too, my sister has a 9'3, its a nice car. Uncles got a 9'5 and its kinda zippy for a large sedan. another 50 ponys and id have competition.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

this could be cool!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty cool deal. esp since GM is being able to unload some weight.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
pretty cool deal. esp since GM is being able to unload some weight.
and recieve some cash, well, a lot of cash.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....I don't know..... sure selling those assets does put some $$$$$$$$$$ in GM's pocket.... but it also could spell more trouble for GM in the future. By selling the assets GM could find itself competing against it's former assets and cause even more market share loss.

In the long run.... GM might be better off mothballing the non-preforming assets rather than selling them.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got an 06 9-3 and an 05 9-7 and the 9-3 is really a fun car to drive. It's the base 2.0L turbo, that puts out 210hp, but the top of the line 9-3x, has a turbo charge v6 and all wheel drive. Now that's a fun car, expensive, but fun.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on Saab.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 9-7x and love the truck. It easy out handles the trailblazer SS and its interior is well laid out.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. I've always liked Saab...hopefully this all works out, and I may be driving a Swedmobile in a few years.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pesticide
I have a 9-7x and love the truck. It easy out handles the trailblazer SS and its interior is well laid out.
Its the same truck buddy........Just new skin on the blazer

I think somthing very cool is going to come out of this, and very new.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Its the same truck buddy........Just new skin on the blazer

I think somthing very cool is going to come out of this, and very new.

Kindof sortof. The 9-7 actually is the buick ranieer, which is a trailblazer/envoy chassis, but the saab engineers proceeded to stiffen the chassis, did extensive sound deadening and isolated the drivetrain from the chassis as well. The shocks are billsteins as well and the overall vehicle height was lowered 2" as well.

The Trailblazer SS has some of the chassis stiffening as well, but the shock and spring rates are different so I can understand why he feels that way.

It's like comparing the cadilaac xlr to the corvette. Same chassis, different execution.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, same platform but if you drive them back to back you would be amazed in the difference between the Trailblazer ss and 9-7X. Try the AERO 9-7 and you will love it. The Alchemist states it well.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Can't wait to see some concepts within the next 2 years.

Quick Reply: GM says reaches deal to sell Saab to Koenigsegg