Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

So Toyota's Marketing Department Is Populated By Morons...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Toyota's Marketing Department Is Populated By Morons...

Toyota Exec 1: Hey, you guys have any idea how to sell the Matrix?
Toyota Exec 2: I know, let's send people stalkerish emails for 5 days, tell them we know where they live and that we're coming for them.
Toyota Exec 1: Love it! Make It Happen!

LONDON - Toyota has come under fire in the US after unleashing a "terror marketing campaign", which has triggered a lawsuit against the car manufacturer.

The digital activity, created by Saatchi & Saatchi Los Angeles, takes its cue from TV shows such as MTV's 'Punk'd', in which celebrities are set up as the victims of elaborate practical jokes.

The Toyota Matrix campaign enabled people to nominate a friend as the subject of a fictitious scam involving characters played by actors.

The push was promoted with an online video, in which viewers were encouraged to share some information about their chosen victim.

It said: "Pick one of our maniacs to mess with their heads for five straight days while you sit back and watch it all go down."

However, the campaign has led to one victim, Amber Duick, filing a lawsuit against Toyota, after she received a series of emails from beer swilling, English football fan Sebastian Bowler, who said he was planning on staying with Duick.

Bowler's emails to Duick indicated he knew her, where she lived and that he was on his way with his pit bull, Trigger, to hide from the police.
In his second email, Bowler listed his MySpace page. One of the nine emails to Duick, the suit alleges, was a bill for $78.92 from a motel for Mr Bowler's one-night stay there, plus damage to a TV set and picture frame.
Nicholas Tepper, Bowler's Los Angeles attorney, said: "My client was terrified.
"She slept with a machete next to her bed and she slept with mace. She could barely sleep or eat normally."

The suit states that Duick "became physically ill" because she was convinced "a disturbed and aggressive" stranger was en route to her house.
The final email in the campaign reveals to Duick that she has been "punk'd" and all the emails were part of an ad campaign for the Toyota Matrix, the suit claims
Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

lol That's not cool at all. Funny that Toyota would sink that low though.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think all marketing departments are full of idiots

Except ESPN. Their commercials are 100% win
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

I can't believed the toyota brass ok'd this! what a retarded idea, I hope they loose their shirt in court!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love all this bad press going around for toyota. i spread it whenever new news comes up to anyone and everyone. what morons. who thought that was a good idea
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

WOW...I'm wondering how they spun that gag off as advertisement, what did the last email look like? "Oh if you want me to leave you alone... buy a matrix?"
Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Restricted User

Yeah generally your marketing should create a positive image about the product. How does purposely pissing people off accomplish that?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lol um yeah words can't describe how stupid that idea was...

Quick Reply: So Toyota's Marketing Department Is Populated By Morons...