Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?

Enough is enough. I understand that Toyota is having some issues but this debacle that it has turned into is just ******* crazy.

Somebody came up with a pretty interesting theory. It seems like the government may have found an opportunity and pounced on it, and is taking this for all it's worth in an effort to debase the competition for the domestic manufacturers.

It's like Obama brought in chicago style politics to the white house. Knowing that he has to shore up the domestic car market and ensure that GM and Chrysler can make good on their loans, he's going to tear down the competition to help them out.

It's a crazy idea, but if this pans out then the next logical target would be Honda, then probably FoMoCo if they start stealing the domestics sales from GM and Chrysler. Pretty shitty deal if you ask me.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

i work for lexus and we all have said the same thing. all cars have recalls. this one just really blew up.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree with you guys on this one. To be honnest it puts a smile on my face every time I hear the **** storm Toyota got itself into, but that said the gov't does not have any right to make "demands." It is not legal for them to do so. They need to stay out of it. Now if Toyota, a privatly owned non american company, wants to give up that info then well that is their problem and they deserve what is on the plate now. The gov't DOES NOT have the right to do what they are doing. Toyota Fu**** up and covered up, but I do not agree with the demands of the gov't. And to the OP obama is a chicago thug baby and just like a spoiled kid he gets what he wants when he throws a fit.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, this is the **** I'm talking about. As I'm reading through the threads I see this pop up,

Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?-htadl.jpg

Click on it, and it brings you up to this,

Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?-bcnxv.jpg

Seriously, I hate dirty business. I interested in the new Buick Regal but I have half a mind just to go out and purchase a ******* Toyota just to spite these crooks.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously? Yes, it's all one big government conspiracy. And I suppose that Ford doing the same thing is also part of this big government conspiracy?

A bad design that's been covered up for almost a decade, and now it's the government's fault? You think that Obama is actually taking time away from his "important" health care bill and whatever other bullshit he's trying to peddle to make marketing decisions for a car company? Do you also think that Obama helped design the new Buick LaCrosse?

It's not dirty business, it's regular business. If I'm playing football and the opponent makes a mistake, I don't slow down and let him catch up, I take advantage and score a ******* touchdown. It's business, not a campfire sing-along.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

In part I think there is a chance the government is making this bigger than it is because of their interest in GM and Chrysler, but Toyota really screwed up.

It is clear that Toyota has waited to address these issues and when they did they have tried to cover up the real problem, which is a software glitch.

I think it's become a bigger deal than it should be, but I'm glad the media has covered it and the consumer is starting to realize the Japanese automakers are not better than their domestic counterparts.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?
No, I don't.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Seriously? Yes, it's all one big government conspiracy. And I suppose that Ford doing the same thing is also part of this big government conspiracy?

A bad design that's been covered up for almost a decade, and now it's the government's fault? You think that Obama is actually taking time away from his "important" health care bill and whatever other bullshit he's trying to peddle to make marketing decisions for a car company? Do you also think that Obama helped design the new Buick LaCrosse?

It's not dirty business, it's regular business. If I'm playing football and the opponent makes a mistake, I don't slow down and let him catch up, I take advantage and score a ******* touchdown. It's business, not a campfire sing-along.
Exactly.

Apparently there are quite a few paranoid conspiracy theorists on this board.

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
I think it's become a bigger deal than it should be, but I'm glad the media has covered it and the consumer is starting to realize the Japanese automakers are not better than their domestic counterparts.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Exactly.

Apparently there are quite a few paranoid conspiracy theorists on this board.

reeks like aliens, bigfoot, and magic bullets to me...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Enough is enough. I understand that Toyota is having some issues but this debacle that it has turned into is just ******* crazy.

Somebody came up with a pretty interesting theory. It seems like the government may have found an opportunity and pounced on it, and is taking this for all it's worth in an effort to debase the competition for the domestic manufacturers.

It's like Obama brought in chicago style politics to the white house. Knowing that he has to shore up the domestic car market and ensure that GM and Chrysler can make good on their loans, he's going to tear down the competition to help them out.

It's a crazy idea, but if this pans out then the next logical target would be Honda, then probably FoMoCo if they start stealing the domestics sales from GM and Chrysler. Pretty shitty deal if you ask me.
You'd probobly feel different if 4 of your family members died in a accident due to a toyota car. Maybe it brought more attention cuz a COP and his family died this way.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a world wide problem, please explain how the U.S. gov't is forcing this? We appear to be the only Country who cares what this horrible and appalling company has been doing and covering up for the last 20 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LMFAO...
Its all Obama's fault, leave poor toyota alone! They never did anything wrong, who wouldn't try and cover up numerous dangerous recalls, right?
Obama is also behind 9/11, he did that to distract the American people from seeing the truth, that the mean 'ole Amurkin gov'ment is picking on the japanese automakers!

Seriously even is this was true, I couldn't feel sorry for the Japanese automakers, not until they at least remove the import taxes they put on our cars.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The people that don't typically buy American cars because they are deemed "unreliable pos's" will just buy another jap car or korean car if it shows that one of their brands that were a top pick is shown to be a little inferior.

I think the fact that it covers 8 million+ cars and it was deemed as such a indestructible never break down and never have any issues car, it has been blown up the way it was. It's just like having a celeb that is labeled as a great outstanding member of society with no faults suddenly getting arrested for domestic abuse or something. Stuff that happens every day but because of the credibility of the person and the way they are viewed, are held to a higher standard.

Toyota has had it pretty damn easy the last ten years, and they put out utter boring crap. I remember reading about a recall for the Vibe with some manual windows shattering or something and cutting people and it was 180,000 cars affected, and further down at the bottom of the page, the Matrix was listed with the same problem affecting 500,000 cars or so. Just like any other car they have issues of their own and little quirks that have to be worked around that anyone that knows anything about cars can expect. Like others have said in the previous thread, if they are such great indestructible cars, than why do they have a service department like every other car mfg out there?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Rawr256;12940940]The people that don't typically buy American cars because they are deemed "unreliable pos's" will just buy another jap car or korean car if it shows that one of their brands that were a top pick is shown to be a little inferior.

I think the fact that it covers 8 million+ cars and it was deemed as such a indestructible never break down and never have any issues car, it has been blown up the way it was. It's just like having a celeb that is labeled as a great outstanding member of society with no faults suddenly getting arrested for domestic abuse or something. Stuff that happens every day but because of the credibility of the person and the way they are viewed, are held to a higher standard.[QUOTE]

+1

Obama also caused the Tiger/Elin woods scandal.

Last edited by 94Mustang302ci; 02-24-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Seriously even is this was true, I couldn't feel sorry for the Japanese automakers, not until they at least remove the import taxes they put on our cars.
A big amen on that one. Consider how the Japanese government has for decades leveraged all factors AGAINST the success of American made cars or products in general in their own country and you'll begin to understand why I shall not shed a tear for them over their current predicament.

As far as all the hooplah over their current crop of recalls.......well......that's what happens when you get placed up on too high a pedestal.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, this is the **** I'm talking about. As I'm reading through the threads I see this pop up,

Seriously, I hate dirty business. I interested in the new Buick Regal but I have half a mind just to go out and purchase a ******* Toyota just to spite these crooks.
Well, every car company is doing it, not just Buick. I've watched three ads run on tv by Honda and Nissan saying practically the same thing. The #1 car manufacturer is hurting the rest smell blood. It's called a competitive market, otherwise known as capitalism.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

People have been picking on domestics forever and it was fine and dandy. Now they are picking on foreign cars and everyone is crying like a little baby.

Who cares???? Toyota has a lot of money and they are a profitable organization. They aren't going to go under tomorrow so I could give less than a thought about what dirty words are said about them.

IMO, most of the cases the gov't has pointed out are totally within reasonable consumer protection and the gov't has the right to do so. Toyota has swept too many problems under the rug too many times. The result is closer gov't scrutiny for an undetermined amount of time. When something effects the general public this greatly, it isn't invalid to take these measures.

Perhaps -- Toyota will learn to market their cars not as holy objects, be more foreward about safety issues, and announce recalls when needed.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

I understand what your saying, but this has been done before...Remember when Ford Explorers started rolling over??? The exact same thing happened so this is nothing new.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO this would be happening no matter who is in office
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the Toyota Recall has turned into a political free for all. I say let the accident victims state their case in court, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else think this Toyota/Lexus debacle reeks of a political hit job?