Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds Full-Test - 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT Performance Pack

Lighter, Quicker, Louder, Better

Yes, you'll hear it coming.

By Josh Jacquot, Senior Editor | Published Aug 30, 2010

It was only last year on Inside Line when the Ford Shelby GT500 stomped out wins against the Dodge Challenger SRT8, Chevrolet Camaro SS and even a Hennessey-tuned Camaro cranking out 559 horsepower at the wheels.

And it did it all with a solid axle.

Since then, the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 has only become stronger. It now offers an SVT performance package with more serious rubber, lighter wheels and a shorter rear-end gear. Still, whether it's a stereotype or bias or whatever, the simple fact is that we've come to expect a certain kind of performance from pony cars.

And the GT500 just didn't deliver.

Rather, it over-delivered. With massive stick, serious brakes, huge thrust, killer sound and speed like we've never before experienced from this breed of car, it was, well, more than just a pony car. It's now a genuinely engaging driver's car — solid axle and all.

Less Weight, More Power

Grabber Blue is either striking or Smurfy. Your call.

Ford will use large, polysyllabic words like "nanoparticles" and "atomizing" to convince you that the GT500's new 5.4-liter aluminum block is better than last year's iron block. We'll use one simple word: weight. That's because our 2011 model weighed a full 101 pounds less than the last 2010 model we tested (3,800 pounds vs. 3,901 pounds).

The new, lighter engine also benefits from a larger, more efficient intercooler which, coupled with a new 2.8-inch exhaust, liberates 10 additional horses, bringing the total to 550. Torque remains unchanged at 510 pound-feet. It's all lashed to a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission.

Remarkably, this GT500 also earns higher EPA fuel economy ratings (15 city/23 highway) than the 2010 model thanks to underbody aero changes and the addition of electrically assisted power steering. It's enough of an improvement that the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 now avoids a federal gas-guzzler tax.

Kicking Axle

Powerslides are never more than a throttle blip away.

And then, as if all this unexpected excellence weren't enough, the GT500 shot to 60 mph from a standstill in 4.4 seconds (4.1 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). It annihilated the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph. Both milestones were achieved 0.2 second quicker than the last 2010 GT500 we tested, proving undoubtedly that the additional power is, in fact, present.

The GT500's short shifter did hang up a bit between gears, adding a tenth or two to our times, but shifts were quick enough to lay down rubber. Still, this isn't the first GT500 we've tested with shifter problems, which makes us question the value of its short shifter.

But the straight-line numbers don't even scratch the surface of the GT500's depth of talent. Its 68.2-mph slalom speed is better than all its competition and 1.6 mph faster than last year's model. And its 0.97g skid pad performance exceeds even that of our oh-so-grippy long-term Dodge Viper, which was tested on the very same surface. Did you hear that? A Mustang just beat a Viper in a performance test.

The new SVT package is a big contributor to the GT500's improved performance. Largely, it's the switch to Goodyear's new Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires sized 265/40ZR19 front and 285/35ZR20 rear, which improve the car's track numbers. Stiffer springs and an incrementally lower ride height don't hurt, either. A 3.73:1 axle ratio is also included vs. the base car's 3.55 gears.

Stopping from 60 mph in only 104 feet puts the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 in Porsche territory despite a pedal that's softer than we would prefer.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Something New, Something Old

They're proud of these engines at Ford.

So it's somewhat remarkable, then, that this moderately revised über-Mustang is as good as it is — especially when one considers the utter lack of hydraulic assist in its steering system. Electric-assist power steering, after all, isn't anything new. But good electric-assist power steering is rare. Actual, useful feel in an all-electric system is something that's befuddled engineers and journalists alike for years.

But in the GT500 there is harmony. Because pointing the wheel of this machine requires real effort and yields genuine buildup as loads increase, providing a true sense of what's going on at the tire/road interface. It's a discovery that's as surprising as it is refreshing.

Some habits, however, die hard. And no amount of tuning will keep the *** of this otherwise well-tamed snake stuck to the ground when that ground is uneven. Certainly, Ford's SVT team has done an admirable job massaging the live-axle setup. We'll be the first to admit that it's the best tuned live-axle car we've ever driven — if not the best ever sold.

But surface irregularities will still conspire to throw the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 into otherwise uncharacteristic directional protests. It starts with a sideways hop of the rear end, and if that doesn't convince you to lift, the ensuing axle-bouncing racket followed by an imminent loss of control likely will.

Make It Softer, Captain

Racing stripes on the seats? Classy. Or something.

Inside, nothing visible is different. The Shelby's finer points include synthetic suede inserts on the seats and steering wheel, its cueball shifter and a general sense of quality and purpose that are a few rungs up the ladder from the standard Mustang.

The bolstered seats still only provide adequate lateral support and are rather soft — perhaps in an effort to cancel the suspension's busy-ness. Whether the GT500's ride quality will cramp your style is probably a matter of how you intend to use the car.

There's no denying that the SVT Performance package impacts the ride quality — Ford says it reduces lap times on a 2.3-mile track by 3.0 seconds per circuit. So if your daily agenda involves more burnouts than hot laps, then foregoing the performance package probably isn't a bad idea.

The Final Word

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires are the biggest improvement in the GT500's handling. Lighter wheels are part of the SVT Performance package.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the best pony car on the market is also the most expensive. Ford is asking $55,330 for this Grabber Blue 2011 Ford Shelby GT500, including the $850 destination fee. Fitted with the $3,495 Performance package and the $2,340 Electronics package, which includes voice-activated navigation and an internal 10-gigabyte hard drive, this is a pricey pony car.

But the real question isn't whether people will pay $55 large for a Mustang, because they will — especially one that says "Shelby" across the trunk lid. The more intriguing issue is what will happen when Ford inevitably decides that independent rear suspension should be a permanent fixture on the Mustang?

We're guessing the ***-kicking will continue.

The view of the Shelby every other modern muscle car will see, for now.

What Works: Handling talent beyond the sum of its parts, wheelspin-on-command power, all the right sounds.

What Needs Work (cons): Like its competition, the GT500 can be improved with independent rear suspension.

Bottom Line: We'll say it again: the best pony car on the market.

Specs & Performance

Here's the aluminum-block engine that's now rated at 550 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque.

As-tested MSRP $55,330
Curb weight, as tested (lbs.) 3,800
Weight distribution, as tested, f/r (%) 57/43
0-30 mph (sec.) 2.0
0-45 mph (sec.) 3.2
0-60 mph (sec.) 4.4
0-75 mph (sec.) 6.0
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 12.4 @ 116.0
0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 4.1
0-30 mph, trac ON (sec.) 2.2
0-45 mph, trac ON (sec.) 3.5
0-60 mph, trac ON (sec.) 4.7
0-75 mph, trac ON (sec.) 6.1
1/4-mile, trac ON (sec. @ mph) 12.5 @ 116.5
0-60, trac ON with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 4.4
30-0 mph (ft.) 26
60-0 mph (ft.) 104
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 68.2
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.97
Edmunds observed (mpg) 14

Acceleration Comments - Slight bog at launch with trac "On." With trac off, the GT500 is amazingly repeatable at launch. Best runs haze the tires from 3,000 rpm then grip and go. Tired 2nd-gear synchro prolonged 1-2 shift but still managed to lay rubber. Short shifter never balked or missed a shift though it requires a deliberate shove. Clutch effort is remarkably low (in a good way).

Braking Comments - Excellent first-stop numbers only improved until best numbers appeared on run 7. Pedal is not firm but is progressive and easy to modulate. Zero fade. No stink or smoke.

Handling Comments - Lots of grip but these springs didn't care for the slightest pavement irregularity -- skittish. Steering effort is moderate but responsive and precise. ESP on is very lenient with its corrections. Slalom (ESP off): Snappy, precise turn-in, quick yaw response, but this car is begging for more progressive springs. As it is, it's rock hard and skittish to the point that it was difficult to keep focused on the cones. I came close (hit one cone), but I don't think there's a 70-mph run at this facility. Rewarding, enthusiastic, but fun? Maybe not.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

There is a modern muscle car out now that can give this Mustang a run for it's money. As Motor Trend found out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW-qF_Xzjl4
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

The Mustang line (all of them, be it the V6, GT or GT500) is on it right now.

And yes that CTS-V is no joke either.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's the driver, but I still think 12.4 in the quarter is surprisingly slow for the horsepower/torque. Shouldn't this be a high 11 second car off the showroom floor? Isn't the new GT 5.0 running very close numbers?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Yea i thought the new GT500 was a high 11 second car as well?

Also the CTSV coupe is SWEET, but isnt it noticeably more expensive as well?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, you're looking at probably 63K-67K for the CTS-V coupe.

As far as the Shelby, I guess I have a hard time justifying it, personally, considering the GT (and most certainly, the Boss) are right on its *** as far as track performance goes....and for less money. It is definitely faster on the strip though. There are guys running near 12 flat in the 1/4 with the 2011's...it's just a matter of putting that power down and getting the shifts fast. I won't be surprised to see an 11 sec bone stock run in the future. Unfortunately, it's always going to remain traction limited with street tires out back. With some good DR's on that car is just nasty on the drag strip.

Me? I'll take the new Boss all day, anyday over the Shelby. But maybe that's because I prefer balance over hp gluttony. But then again, I know I'm not in the Shelby's targeted market. Still, it's sweet to know that American carmakers are still putting out monsters like this despite the whole green movement.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch 55k thats over in vette territory with goodies
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Also the CTSV coupe is SWEET, but isnt it noticeably more expensive as well?
It is but that didn't stop critics from pitting the GT500 against it or the new SS against the GT500 last year.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

It is still ugly and it is still somewhat heavy... but I'll give credit where credit is due Ford has finally stepped up to the plate and delivering very nice (performance wise) cars. I'm kinda wondering what took them so long to finally start playing the numbers game? Those magazine guys can't drive a car fast to save their lifes anyway. It could be a proven fact that a car no matter what you do who drives will run such and such time and those clowns will find a way to make it run slower.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree that dollar/car the 5.0 is the better deal than the Shelby. $55k+ for that is Vette territory and i'd rather have one of them. That damn CTS-V was quick holy crap. I love V's though
Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 AM
***Repost Police***

The Z28 will be in "Corvette" territory too... it's a completely different class of car.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Evan Smith run a 12.02 at 119.9 mph in 95+ degree Florida heat in a stock 2011 GT500 with the performance package. He said he believed in optimum conditions that the car would be quicker/faster than the 2010 GT500 he tested in far better conditions.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love that everythign is makin 500 hp now. ****** 10 years ago we were all swooning over the 450hp the viper made. Now the Jeep makes more. Crazy.
Hope GM doesnt release the Z28 and immeaditly lose. Id cry. Prolly alot.
I have no intentions of buying one a they will be crazy expensive. But cant wiat to see the tuners get their hands on them to make them like the 03-04 cobras. Just hope they dont **** up.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love the GT500, Though for the money id still take a C6 but the GT500 is a pony car and the best pony car on the market right now cant argue that.

I can't wait to see this go against the Z28, GM is VERY VERY well aware of the current competition. It shows since we see the Z28 testing against a GT500 my only questions is that I wonder if its a 2010 or 2011 GT500 seeming the '11 is slightly faster then the '10. Still, it's great to know GM is taking action and hopefully planning stuff for the V6 and SS models to strike back at the V6 and 5.0 stangs though even now the 5.0 and SS are a drivers race for the most part.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Love the GT500, Though for the money id still take a C6 but the GT500 is a pony car and the best pony car on the market right now cant argue that.

I can't wait to see this go against the Z28, GM is VERY VERY well aware of the current competition. It shows since we see the Z28 testing against a GT500 my only questions is that I wonder if its a 2010 or 2011 GT500 seeming the '11 is slightly faster then the '10. Still, it's great to know GM is taking action and hopefully planning stuff for the V6 and SS models to strike back at the V6 and 5.0 stangs though even now the 5.0 and SS are a drivers race for the most part.
From the "spy" shots posted of the Z28 testing against the GT500, it shows the GT500 it was being tested against was a 2011 with the SVT performance pack.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i really like thats its lighter and its interior is nicer. what i dont like is its cost.

but if a ctsv can beat this car imagine what a z28 will do to it.

J/K LOL.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT Performance Pack