Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford

Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford

By Bertel Schmitt on December 21, 2010

One major reason for Ford’s surging market share is Americans who refuse to buy a car from a company that has been bailed-out with their tax dollars. In survey after survey after survey, Americans took issue with the bailouts. The backlash was so severe that one of the first measures Joel Ewanick implemented at GM was to get rid of GM. He replaced “General Motors” with “the parent company.” Smart move: You can be against Government Motors. But who dares to be against parenthood?

Ford meanwhile rode high on the perception that they didn’t accept a single dollar. “Ford did not seek a government bailout,” says a very recent Rasmussen Report, “and 55 percent of Americans say they are more likely to buy a Ford car for that reason.”

Americans (and possibly GM and Chrysler) are the victims of a big lie, says Wall Street insider Eric Fry. And he has the numbers to back it up.

“During the crisis of 2008-9, for example, Ford Motor Company borrowed as much as $7 billion from a lending facility of the Federal Reserve. But the details of these borrowings did not come to light until just three weeks ago. And even now, very few investors – or car-buyers – seem to realize that GM and Chrysler were not the only “Big 3” car companies to receive a helping hand from the government. Ford also cashed a few government checks.”

Fry is not talking about the DOE retooling loan, and Ford’s well publicized use of government loan guarantees. Fry found a $7 billion government check to Ford that was hidden from the public’s eye. Well, not really, it was mentioned on page 18 of a document submitted by Ford to the Senate Banking Committee on December 2, 2008, but who reads that stuff?

While Americans learned that a TARP was not just used to cover some dirt in the yard, but also gaping holes in the balance sheets of banks, brokers and automakers, the public remained oblivious to other governmental ATMs, such as the Fed’s Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF). Says Fry:

Just one month before Mulally declared, “We do not face a near-term liquidity issue, and we are not seeking short-term financial assistance from the government,” Ford Motor Credit had borrowed nearly $4 billion from the Fed’s Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF). And just two weeks after this remark, Ford Motor Credit borrowed an additional $3 billion from the CPFF. In all, Ford borrowed $7 billion between October 27, 2008 and June 17, 2009.

From March 2009 through August 2009, Ford was the biggest borrower from that heretofore undercover lending facility for carmakers in need.

Knowing that he will be torn to shreds unless he has impeccable evidence, Fry presents a complete timeline, from the first withdrawal from the CPFF on 10/27/08 through Fords refusal of government aid on 1/29/09 (same day: Ford Motor Credit rolls over $1.488 billion of CP with the CPFF) to multiple transactions in the summer of 2009.

Follow the timeline, and read the article in Fry’s article at The Daily Reckoning.

Interestingly, Fry does not blame Ford or Mulally for taking the money:

“Mulally deserves no blame for availing himself of funding that was freely – if very privately – provided by the Federal Reserve. After all, Mulally’s Wall Street counterparts were already busy tapping various credit facilities at the Fed. So can we blame Mulally for thinking to himself, “Hey, I’d like to tap that too!”?

Fry doesn’t want to “cast stones at Mulally.” He wants to “catapult boulders at the Federal Reserve, and by extension at the exalted notion that institutionalized secrecy is an essential component of “guiding” a free market economy.” Fry’s assertion: Not Ford lied to America. The American government, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department did.

Says Fry:

“To reiterate, we don’t blame Mulally or Ford for taking advantage of an advantageous situation. We blame the Federal Reserve (and the Treasury) for nourishing an environment of preferential treatment, non-disclosure, backroom deal-making and every other form of capricious market manipulation.”

Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Be interesting to see how this develops. Has there been anything on the news about it lately? Still small compared to how much GM and Chrysler needed.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. What's the opposite of a little white lie?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Another interesting article: http://jalopnik.com/5704575/
Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Be interesting to see how this develops. Has there been anything on the news about it lately? Still small compared to how much GM and Chrysler needed.
On the link you posted it says Ford borrowed $15.9 billion while GM borrowed $13.9 billion.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GMAC borrowed $13.9B, not GM. GM received far more than that, most of which was written off through bankruptcy.

I have no objection to car manufacturers taking out loans, but the free handout to GM that was subsequently written off is bullshit.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm so now i have a remark to all my faggoty ford friends that always use the same comeback. eat it blue oval *****. whats worse? the company who asks for help and takes full responsibility? or the company who secretly receives help and markets that they didnt?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws666
hmmm so now i have a remark to all my faggoty ford friends that always use the same comeback. eat it blue oval *****. whats worse? the company who asks for help and takes full responsibility? or the company who secretly receives help and markets that they didnt?
Or from another angle, "the company that secretly borrows money and pays it back, or the company that took a bail out, and wrote over 75% of it off through bankruptcy."

Ford markets that they didn't take a bail out. In reality, they took a secret loan from the Fed. GM markets that they are on pace to repay their loans well in advance of their time line. In reality, a majority of the money they received will never be payed back due to bankruptcy.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

I like GM, Ford and Chrysler for that matter so I'm putting all that behind us now but what I DO have a problem with is this:
One major reason for Ford’s surging market share is Americans who refuse to buy a car from a company that has been bailed-out with their tax dollars. In survey after survey after survey, Americans took issue with the bailouts.
Why?
If it's your tax dollars than why not buy the damn cars/trucks and help pay some of that loan back to yourself?
Your tax dollars also pay for our (awesome and much appreciated) military/armed forces, retired/disabled veterans, medical research, education etc and maybe even some other area that we might not approve of. Do we not support those areas in a time of need?

Sometimes I just don't get people and how they'll stand on their high horse just to drive home a point in support of some principle that's potentially going to hurt them in the end anyway.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Ford Motor Credit (FMC) is to Ford, what GMAC is to GM.

A fed loan to FMC isn't the same as a loan/bailout to Ford.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
If it's your tax dollars than why not buy the damn cars/trucks and help pay some of that loan back to yourself?
Your tax dollars also pay for our (awesome and much appreciated) military/armed forces, retired/disabled veterans, medical research, education etc and maybe even some other area that we might not approve of. Do we not support those areas in a time of need?

Sometimes I just don't get people and how they'll stand on their high horse just to drive home a point in support of some principle that's potentially going to hurt them in the end anyway.
I agree with you, for the most part, but I also see both sides of this. On one hand, yeah, people should support these companies to ensure the Fed gets their money back. But on the other hand, doesn't that just encourage these companies that the people will always bail out their poor business decisions...?

Personally, I'm a free market advocate. If a business has a poor plan, let it fail. As businesses fail, others step up to fill the void. Propping up bad businesses with taxpayer dollars is not a good trend to continue.

Last edited by Z Fury; 12-23-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Propping up bad businesses with taxpayer dollars is not a good trend to start.
This country has been doing just that for a LONG time now. It didn't just start with GM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
This country has been doing just that for a LONG time now. It didn't just start with GM.
I knew that, actually, so I'm not sure why I phrased that last line the way I did. I'll edit it to say "not a good trend to continue."
Old 12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Even the best companies are having troubles in this economy.

Another thing that is getting harder and harder to swallow is the "Buy American" I am all for keeping the money here when I make purchases however can't we implement a new phrase? "Employ American"

Just a thought
Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Even the best companies are having troubles in this economy.

Another thing that is getting harder and harder to swallow is the "Buy American" I am all for keeping the money here when I make purchases however can't we implement a new phrase? "Employ American"

Just a thought
And "Build it American". American manufacturing is almost non-existant these days.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ws666
You go ahead and run with that....see how far that gets you. As is being pointed out, this revelation isn't nearly the big caliber fanboy ammunition that you think it is. Ford took out a loan, it didn't get forced into filing for protection.

The damage/boost to our domestic carmakers' reps is done. The only way to undo any of it now is through good products and good business practices going forward.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
And "Build it American". American manufacturing is almost non-existant these days.
Amen!!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Really interesting that they tried to keep this a secret. It's almost like they had an agenda to keep Ford looking like they were better than GM and Chrysler. Definately not good. There's no doubt that due to various circumstances Ford was in a somewhat better position to make it through the economic down turn.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Wow! Really interesting that they tried to keep this a secret. It's almost like they had an agenda to keep Ford looking like they were better than GM and Chrysler. Definately not good. There's no doubt that due to various circumstances Ford was in a somewhat better position to make it through the economic down turn.
The Ford family did not want to give up their family business to the US government by accepting funds from TARP, not if they didn't absolutely have to anyway. Now we know they got the funds directly from the Fed instead.

Ford's CEO would not have appeared in front of Congress if he didn't have to be there. Ford was just as hard hit and cash-strapped as the other two.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the big three are all poorly run and still have a long way to go. none of them are a business model of how things should be done.

Quick Reply: Blue Ops: The Clandestine Bailout Of Ford