Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM-Volt.com Founder Averages 110mpg over 5,100 miles in his Chevy Volt

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Ford has a focus with a little turbo diesel that racks in over 60 MPG... of course you can't get it here in the states.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doesn't seem like the car is where it needs to be yet in order to compete economically with some diesels but at least it's right there and it's a step in the right direction. Kinda excited to see how this technology develops.
That guy Lyle Dennis seemed a little too excited to rationally write a un-baised review but it's still a good bit of insight on where the car currently stands in the real world.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I agree, it is a lot. But you get a $7500 tax credit when you buy. And think about the $$$$ you would save long term.

Of course, the other side the coin is, I would hate to own one of these, or any hybrid and pull into the service shop, tell them the car is has became a gas hog and they call me back a few hours later telling me the battery pack needs to be replaced at $5K-7K. Ugh. And of course it would happen after the warranty ran out.
Battery packs are under warranty for 10 years and cost about $3k to replace. What would it cost to pull into a shop in a camaro corvette etc after 10 years of owning it and them tell you that you have to replace the engine? Yet we all still drive one and use about 20% of their power for our daily commute.

You can also LEASE one of these for $350/month. My Trans Am new was about $35,000 it was $565/month for 5 years and it was about another $200 in gas, oil changes every other month at about $65, i mean i can go on and on. This car was stolen in 2006 before gas went nuts, and before i had a 164 mile daily commute.

The Volt would be about $500/month to own after the tax credit, and it would run me about $6/day in gas and $1.50/day in electricity. My current commuter is a BMW 540i and it costs me $25/day in gas if i drive lightly which is TOUGH to do in a 325 horspower Dinan 6 speed.

I think the numbers speak all you need to know and i really dont see why people are fighting this car. I think everyone is affraid to see their favorite gas burners slowly die off but i think everyone needs my view. A Volt for the DD chores, a v8 or other fun car for just whenever. Like anything in life, i think its about moderation.

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

I think everyone needs their own view... If ya like something for sale and you have the money to buy it, go ahead. If ya don't have the money to buy it, don't buy it. Also, if you don't like something you don't need, you shouldn't have to buy it.

Quick Reply: GM-Volt.com Founder Averages 110mpg over 5,100 miles in his Chevy Volt