Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Some questions involving Wyotech

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions involving Wyotech

Ok, i need some advice to help with my future. I want to go to wyotech out in sacramento, CA. Im 17 and i wish to be attending in the fall of 2012. i want to attend wyotech because i love cars and i want to know everything about them. i want to go to wyotech, but also, i want to go to another school after and get another degree in something else so i have options and mechanics arent exactly getting payed the best salary unless they get lucky. i want wyotech to give me opportunities in the automotive field and also for personal experience, but alos something else in case working as an automotive technician does not all work out.

so here are my questions:
1. what other school or degree should i obtain after wyotech that will be something i enjoy but also give me a good pay?

2. should i attend wyotech before or after i obtain a degree in something else?

3. any other alternatives that i can take that will teach me both in one school? (the automotive technician part and also automotive engineering or something alike)

4. is wyotech the best school? is wyotech good for the money? (around 30k or less for the class i want to take)

please give me all the information you can and let me know of any other questions i should be asking or any other information i should be presenting. thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know what you consider good money but I know several Techs that make well over $100k.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

ive seen people making that much and i would absolutly enjoy making that much, can u give some examples as to where they work?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Chances are you aren't going to make that much. And I would go to a local tech school (well, I did) over one where you have to pay an arm and a leg to learn the same stuff. Jobs are going to be hard to find, and ones that pay $100k a year are VERY hard to find.

Look into other things you might be interested in, there are A LOT of jobs that pay more. I think the average for Wisconsin is ~$25k a year for a mechanic, I'm making around that working part time and going to school full time right now. ****, after all I have been reading about the teachers in this state I wish I would have gone for that haha. My high school gym teacher is making $55k a year with another $29k a year for benefits, working half the year, and in a small, poor town where the average salary is probably in the high teens.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1_bandit
ive seen people making that much and i would absolutly enjoy making that much, can u give some examples as to where they work?
I should've clarified, The Techs I am refering to worked at a Mercedes dealer.
Both were A tech and the one was what they called a master tech. Meaning he was the lead guy who got all the hard **** like when one of the first bi-turbo V12's blew up it was his job.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gocartone
Chances are you aren't going to make that much. And I would go to a local tech school (well, I did) over one where you have to pay an arm and a leg to learn the same stuff. Jobs are going to be hard to find, and ones that pay $100k a year are VERY hard to find.

Look into other things you might be interested in, there are A LOT of jobs that pay more. I think the average for Wisconsin is ~$25k a year for a mechanic, I'm making around that working part time and going to school full time right now. ****, after all I have been reading about the teachers in this state I wish I would have gone for that haha. My high school gym teacher is making $55k a year with another $29k a year for benefits, working half the year, and in a small, poor town where the average salary is probably in the high teens.
well im not sure what all there is out there that im interested in. i was thinking of after wyotech, get my masters in business or automotive engineering, but im not sure what all the engineering job entails.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say use search and you would have found this-
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...od-school.html

I would say go to a local school or get a real degree from a community college. Wyotech is a cash pump not a good school. I never missed a day, was never tardy, ended up with a gpa near 3.2-3.5 and would tell you to honestly go somewhere else. I wish I never went. I went to the Blairsville, Pa branch of Wyotech.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And as I work at a Dodge dealer currently as a tech, I can tell you ENTRY level techs (like those fresh from a tech school) start in at $13/hr at first at our dealer. After completing Dodge certifications and tests you begin to earn more money and switch to flatrate. But if you get stuck with a lot of warranty work you'll feel like you're getting screwed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some questions involving Wyotech