Chrysler Mulling the Return of the Dodge Magnum wagon - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Automotive News, Media & Press
Log In 
Search


Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News


Chrysler Mulling the Return of the Dodge Magnum wagon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
TECH Veteran
 
TriShield's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ Hometown: Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 4,231
Send a message via ICQ to TriShield Send a message via AIM to TriShield Send a message via MSN to TriShield Send a message via Yahoo to TriShield
Default Chrysler Mulling the Return of the Dodge Magnum wagon

Will Chrysler reload with another wagon?

Click the image to open in full size.

July 15, 2011 - 1:17 pm ET
David Phillips is deputy managing editor of autonews.com

Is Chrysler aiming to get some of its old swagger back by dusting off a recent gem with customizers?

The Dodge Magnum wagon with its "gangsta" profile proved a sensation with tuners and urban dwellers when it arrived in showrooms in 2004. But it was quickly spiked when Chrysler hit the financial skids and restructured under bankruptcy a few years ago.

It remains a source of pride inside Chrysler.

"With the Magnum, we owned the station wagon segment," Ralph Gilles, the Chrysler design chief who helped create the wagon, told The New York Times. "It was always a pleasure to go to car shows and trade fairs and see the number of Magnums that owners had personalized with such obvious loving care."

Gilles said the Magnum "was single-handedly killed by one executive who is no longer with the company. He's retired. A lot of people in the company still like that vehicle -- a lot."

Gilles, now in charge of jump-starting Chrysler's high-performance SRT unit, in addition to leading design, may be just the insider to champion Magnum II.

"A lot of things that weren't possible back then, now are. The Dodge Viper, certainly, is a likely choice for an SRT version," Gilles told the Times. "Also, we know we need an entry-level vehicle of some kind."

But when asked whether a design for a second-generation Magnum might be found in one of his sketch pads, Gilles took a pass.

"Stay tuned," he told the Times. "Great things are coming. That's all I can say."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...#ixzz1SNqRchxQ
TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
TECH Resident
 
Cheap Guy's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 882
Default Great idea to bring it back

I never understood why they killed the Magnum. Seemed like it was a big seller in my area and I don't think it cost a lot to produce it along with the Charger and 300. I actually like the look of it better than the Charger and a 300 wagon like they have in Europe would be sweet.

It's amazing that one person can kill a good project or one person can approve a disaster. I wonder if that was the case with the Aztek, or was it a committee bungle?
__________________
My Little Mid-Life Crisis Cure!

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Long Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Current - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! Kenwood HU, Bilsteins, Magnaflow w/Corsa tips, Brakemotive brakes, other dumb stuff! "My Car is My Man Cave!"
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Launching!
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I never understood why they killed the Magnum. Seemed like it was a big seller in my area and I don't think it cost a lot to produce it along with the Charger and 300. I actually like the look of it better than the Charger and a 300 wagon like they have in Europe would be sweet.

It's amazing that one person can kill a good project or one person can approve a disaster. I wonder if that was the case with the Aztek, or was it a committee bungle?
Haha the Aztek, that belongs in the same category as the sunfire and the cavalier lol
D3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Teching In
 
VindicatedLS2gto's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phenix City, AL
Posts: 28
Default

Aztec never even came close to its projected sale numbers. It's most defintely a reason why Pontiac got **** canned....
__________________
86' Fox body coupe, 408, Big Turbo, Build in progress.
12 5.0
VindicatedLS2gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 116
Default

I just sold my '06 Magnum R/T for my '01 SS. The Magnums are a niche vehicle so you can't expect to sell a ton of them with the return. However, they are a very good compromise of most aspects that anyone could ask of a car. And it does most of it well. Sadly, the suspension was the achillies heel. It ate up tires and suspension parts like candy so it had to go.

Plus, the SS is much, MUCH more fun to drive!
stingrayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 510
Default

To each his own, I hated those things. Unbelievably ugly, the Aztek probably looked better.
88blackgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
TECH Veteran
 
TriShield's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ Hometown: Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 4,231
Send a message via ICQ to TriShield Send a message via AIM to TriShield Send a message via MSN to TriShield Send a message via Yahoo to TriShield
Default

They actually did sell a ton of these, a huge number in fact right up to the last year. It outsold many of GM's cars and trucks consistently each year.

Bob Nardelli, the hatchet CEO Cerberus put in charge of Chrysler when they took over, is believed to be the single person who killed this model. His job was to freeze all spending at Chrysler and make it look pretty enough to sell as a whole or part out for profit.
TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Launching!
 
Regulator's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 228
Send a message via AIM to Regulator Send a message via Yahoo to Regulator
Default

Put a 6 speed in it, I'd rock one. Loved their styling
Regulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
Put a 6 speed in it, I'd rock one. Loved their styling
In the Magnum forum that I was in, one or two people swapped a Challenger 6 speed into a Magnum. It is a very expensive mod to do which is why only 1 or 2 ever did it.

But as a previous owner, I'm not sure that a stick would be the best thing for a Magnum. It was more of a touring car than a sports/muscle car. The SRT's, however, are a totally different animal...
stingrayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
11 Second Club
 
thunderstruck507's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 18
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwest AR
Posts: 7,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindicatedLS2gto View Post
Aztec never even came close to its projected sale numbers. It's most defintely a reason why Pontiac got **** canned....
The sheer fact they sold any of those ugly abortions should have blown away any expectations.

One of the top 5 ugliest pieces of **** ever made. It was King of Ugly until the Nissan Juke.
__________________

71 Chevelle: LS2, Cam Motion 230/238 113+3, ported 799s, FAST 90, LTs, 4l60e Yank SS3600, 3.42 12 bolt

99 Silverado: 5.3, Cam Motion stage 2, 2.5" duals, CAI, ported TB
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 View Post
The sheer fact they sold any of those ugly abortions should have blown away any expectations.

One of the top 5 ugliest pieces of **** ever made. It was King of Ugly until the Nissan Juke.


The later model Aztecs that had the body colored plastic weren't that horrible. I remember lookign in one of those at the dealer when my parents were buying a new car years ago...IIRC, it actually had a cool looking interior.

It was a good idea, maybe just a bit ahead of it's time and poorly executed.

Look at how well the Honda Element did when it came out a few years later. Still ugly as sin, yet somehow managed to sell. Maybe because sheeple will buy anything with an H on the hood?

And I'll say the Scion Xb (or whatever it's called...the boxy one), Element, Nissan Juke, and especially the Nissan Cube, are worse looking than the Aztec.

That Cube...SERIOUSLY??? I can't believe people buy those...I saw THREE of those stupid things on the way home from work the other day. Who on earth would be caught dead in one of those??
__________________
'00 NBM Formula A4

Mostly stock, except for an SLP Lid, FTRA, Magnaflow CB, ported TB ....stay tuned, more to come....
StuntmanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
TECH Fanatic
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,620
Default

I still think the Azteck is by far the worst looking car produced since the factory K-car limo of the early 80's. The damn thing looks like a dumpster, and the way the tiny wheels and wheel arches are integrated just look horrendous.

Say what you want of the Juke, Cube, Scion Xb, at least those are well integrated, thought out, proportional designs. They look like they were designed by a professional design team. The Aztek look likes a 5th grader's sketch put into production, the proportions of the damn thing are so far off.





Anyways, I thought we were talking about a Dodge Magnum. I'd really like to see that model come back, even if it wasn't a huge volume seller like the Charger or 300. I think they should do away with the sloping rear roof on the new model, I think they can make it sufficiently butch and boxy with a straight line roof, which would give you a lot more cargo room. Hell I'd like to see a rear facing 3rd row seat, just for nostalgia's sake.
__________________
Current Ride:
1992 Lexus SC300, 5 speed, 76k miles . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
TECH Enthusiast
 
turbo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 669
Default

I always liked the magnum--especially now that I have a family--but thought it lacked styling in the front. Bringing it back in the Charger line would probably make the most sense and cost effective route. Call it a Charger RT/L or RT/X or something...I don't know...

Or, stick with the style, but put a more aggressive front end such as the new Charger and redesign the rear for an update.

Say what you want about the Nissan Juke, i'd drive one over any one of the other smaller 4 door in the SUV market. Turbo/AWD/Direct Injection.....
__________________
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 Timothy 7&8
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I always liked the magnum--especially now that I have a family--but thought it lacked styling in the front. Bringing it back in the Charger line would probably make the most sense and cost effective route. Call it a Charger RT/L or RT/X or something...I don't know...

Or, stick with the style, but put a more aggressive front end such as the new Charger and redesign the rear for an update.

Say what you want about the Nissan Juke, i'd drive one over any one of the other smaller 4 door in the SUV market. Turbo/AWD/Direct Injection.....
Didn't know the Juke was turbocharged. So I went to Nissan's page, only 188hp/177lb-ft torque though. In a 3100lb car, its not going to be that fast, peppy, maybe, but not fast. Interestingly you can get a 6 speed manual in the FWD version, otherwise its Nissan's dreadful CVT trans. I hate CVT's with a passion, and there is a reason every other manufacturer has shunned that technology in favor of convetinal torque converter automatics.



Getting back to the Magnum, I think it would look really butch with the new Charger nose and the side scallops. A side hinged rear door might be a better idea than the goofy top hinged design on the original car. If it will make that rear opening a little taller than the last version it would be worth it.
__________________
Current Ride:
1992 Lexus SC300, 5 speed, 76k miles . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #15
Launching!
 
fspeedster's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
I still think the Azteck is by far the worst looking car produced since the factory K-car limo of the early 80's. The damn thing looks like a dumpster, and the way the tiny wheels and wheel arches are integrated just look horrendous.

Say what you want of the Juke, Cube, Scion Xb, at least those are well integrated, thought out, proportional designs. They look like they were designed by a professional design team. The Aztek look likes a 5th grader's sketch put into production, the proportions of the damn thing are so far off.





Anyways, I thought we were talking about a Dodge Magnum. I'd really like to see that model come back, even if it wasn't a huge volume seller like the Charger or 300. I think they should do away with the sloping rear roof on the new model, I think they can make it sufficiently butch and boxy with a straight line roof, which would give you a lot more cargo room. Hell I'd like to see a rear facing 3rd row seat, just for nostalgia's sake.
That's exactly what I think of the Scion xb..
fspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #16
TECH Fanatic
 
DoggyB22's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, Califuckinfornia
Posts: 1,586
Default

CTS-V wagon > Magnum wagon
__________________

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoggyB22?feature=mhee
LT Pacesetter Headers | ORY | Moser 9" 3.89 Gears | FAST 90mm Intake | FAST 92mm TB | Monster Level 3 Clutch | DMH Electric Cutout | MGW Short Throw Shifter | SLP Dual Dual | SLP Lid | Tuned | 275/60R15 28" M/T ET Street Radial Pro
Dyno 346rwhp 354 lbtq

Needs Installing: 242/244 112 LSA cam, Ported 243 Heads, 150 Shot, 4.30 Gears
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
Didn't know the Juke was turbocharged. So I went to Nissan's page, only 188hp/177lb-ft torque though. In a 3100lb car, its not going to be that fast, peppy, maybe, but not fast. Interestingly you can get a 6 speed manual in the FWD version, otherwise its Nissan's dreadful CVT trans. I hate CVT's with a passion, and there is a reason every other manufacturer has shunned that technology in favor of convetinal torque converter automatics.



Getting back to the Magnum, I think it would look really butch with the new Charger nose and the side scallops. A side hinged rear door might be a better idea than the goofy top hinged design on the original car. If it will make that rear opening a little taller than the last version it would be worth it.
There were 2 main reasons for the hinge being located on the roof. (1) It made access to the rear cargo area a ton easier and more accessable. Esspecially with the racked roof line. (2) The hinge location meant that you could nearly back right up against a wall and still be able to open the rear hatch. The swingout distance was very little. Every have someone pull right up on your bumper in a parking lot and need to get into the cargo area?

The biggest downside to the hinge location is that it added weight because it needed additional structural support.
__________________
2001 Camaro SS
SLP #0165 of 6,331
Born: 6/29/2000
stingrayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
CTS-V wagon > Magnum wagon
Only in terms of performance and looks (depending on your opinion). If you actually need to hual something in the rear and/or more than 1 adult passenger then Magnum > CTS-V wagon. Oh, and don't forget the price tag!
__________________
2001 Camaro SS
SLP #0165 of 6,331
Born: 6/29/2000
stingrayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
TECH Enthusiast
 
turbo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
Getting back to the Magnum, I think it would look really butch with the new Charger nose and the side scallops. A side hinged rear door might be a better idea than the goofy top hinged design on the original car. If it will make that rear opening a little taller than the last version it would be worth it.
Don't think of it as a butch job, just imagine the whole body being reworked for a new generation vehicle.

As for the hinge, you can't do a side hinge as it's physically limited. It takes so much room to open a side hinge rear door on a vehicle. Ask H2 owners about opening the rear door (wheel mount) side hinge, have to think about where you back a vehicle up wherever you go...Possibly do a split door, half opens up and another half opens down?
__________________
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 Timothy 7&8
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Posts: 48
Default

Those things are hideous, I hope they don't bring them back.
mst504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrysler's Ralph Gilles on Slow Viper Sales TriShield Automotive News, Media & Press 5 11-27-2013 05:48 PM
New Viper Sales Stagnant TriShield Automotive News, Media & Press 31 11-15-2013 05:49 PM
Revealed - All-New 2013 Dodge SRT Viper coupe TriShield Automotive News, Media & Press 151 10-01-2012 02:15 PM
Jalopnik Drives 2012 SRT8 392 HEMI Lineup TriShield Automotive News, Media & Press 13 07-17-2011 09:43 AM
Autoblog - 2011 Chrysler 300 TriShield Automotive News, Media & Press 10 01-31-2011 04:50 PM


Tags
back, bring, bringing, chrysler, chryslers, coming, dodge, doge, line, magnm, magnum, return, returning, returns, wagon


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details