TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default GM to reopen tennessee plant.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...110919852/1266

or appears that way. good news i guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That was part of a settlement with the unions, not due to an increase in demand. I would not view that as good news, rather the union looking to keep its people working.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

no,adding private sector jobs is never good news.

while youre right local govt. was also involved in getting this plant reopened but im sure you read that.

perhaps its better to open plants in mexico and china instead?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
no,adding private sector jobs is never good news.

while youre right local govt. was also involved in getting this plant reopened but im sure you read that.

perhaps its better to open plants in mexico and china instead?
As much as you wave the GM flag, I'm sure you'd agree that they would know best which plants should be open, not you, not the UAW, and not local government. The union and the local government were looking out for their own interests, not the interests of GM here.

I would rather see jobs created within the US, but forcing a company to create jobs it may not need is stupid.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Z Fury
As much as you wave the GM flag, I'm sure you'd agree that they would know best which plants should be open, not you, not the UAW, and not local government. The union and the local government were looking out for their own interests, not the interests of GM here.

I would rather see jobs created within the US, but forcing a company to create jobs it may not need is stupid.
if youd pay attention i hardly wave the GM flag.

but heres a question. since weve already given GOVT motors a ton of ******* money how would you like to see it spent?

more office furniture? jets? limos? perhaps a few million more in bonuses since theyve worked so hard to earn it.

isnt the money to help save and preserve jobs here?

if it isnt then take the ******* money back and let them go under like they should have in the first place.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if youd pay attention i hardly wave the GM flag.but heres a question. since weve already given GOVT motors a ton of ******* money how would you like to see it spent?

more office furniture? jets? limos? perhaps a few million more in bonuses since theyve worked so hard to earn it.

if it isnt then take the ******* money back and let them go under like they should have in the first place.
Now I've seen it all.

And why would opening an unneeded plant be a good thing? Better to sink the whole company than keep one plant closed I guess, thats what the UAW is good at.

You say its better to open it here than Mexico; but if its not needed how about this: DONT OPEN IT AT ALL UNTIL ITS NEEDED! ******* genius.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

if youd pay attention i hardly wave the GM flag.

but heres a question. since weve already given GOVT motors a ton of ******* money how would you like to see it spent?

Maybe, just maybe, GM didn't want the plant reopened because they couldn't afford it. Maybe the demand wasn't there. Ever consider that angle? Or maybe that money could have been better spent on R&D, so the product line doesn't go stale, and GM can stay out in front of sales instead of falling behind the curve again. That makes sense, right? No, clearly they didn't want that plant open because they wanted more jets/limos/bonuses.

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
You say its better to open it here than Mexico; but if its not needed how about this: DONT OPEN IT AT ALL UNTIL ITS NEEDED! ******* genius.
That's pretty much what I wanted to say, but I tried to do it in a civil tone. I don't understand how the local government and the UAW would know what is best for GM over GM themselves.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's pretty much what I wanted to say, but I tried to do it in a civil tone. I don't understand how the local government and the UAW would know what is best for GM over GM themselves.
It was civil; I am in-fact a genius.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe, just maybe, GM didn't want the plant reopened because they couldn't afford it. Maybe the demand wasn't there. Ever consider that angle? Or maybe that money could have been better spent on R&D, so the product line doesn't go stale, and GM can stay out in front of sales instead of falling behind the curve again. That makes sense, right? No, clearly they didn't want that plant open because they wanted more jets/limos/bonuses.

well then MAYBE hey shouldnt have agreed with the UAW to reopen plants.

and i have zero confidence in gm LEADERSHIP since their past shows how incompetent theyve been.

they havent shown me a they have a clue how theyre going to pay back this money regardless of figures theyve been throwing around.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now I've seen it all.

And why would opening an unneeded plant be a good thing? Better to sink the whole company than keep one plant closed I guess, thats what the UAW is good at.

what have you seen man?

and 2000 jobs arent going to sink a co thats already sunk and if you read the article it was agreed on with the UAW.

******* genuis!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Now I've seen it all.

At what point did any one from GM say this plant was to serve as a charity for unemployed workers? If GM truly felt that re-opening the factory was financial suicide then they wouldnt do it. Obviously, non of you care what GM says because your first priority is to bash organized workers, no matter what. I can tell you that about 90% of what you believe about our union is false.

Youve never worked for any of these companies or any manufacturing assembly facility or with a union contract which means you dont have the first damn clue what the hell youre even talking about so how bout you just knock it off unless you have some actual financial facts on this.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Ib4tl.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by wannabess00
At what point did any one from GM say this plant was to serve as a charity for unemployed workers? If GM truly felt that re-opening the factory was financial suicide then they wouldnt do it. Obviously, non of you care what GM says because your first priority is to bash organized workers, no matter what. I can tell you that about 90% of what you believe about our union is false.

Youve never worked for any of these companies or any manufacturing assembly facility or with a union contract which means you dont have the first damn clue what the hell youre even talking about so how bout you just knock it off unless you have some actual financial facts on this.
my next step was to ask for proof that there was no need for this plant to open but its just easier to believe what you want instead for some.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Just had a meeting this morning in which some details were discussed on the agreement. Over 5 plants Im told are re-opening and the Chevy/GMC trucks will be returning from Mexico back into regular production in the US. Overall Im impressed with the deal reached. Just waiting for the workers vote this weekend for ratification of the new contract
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not even going any farther on this one; we've already gone back and forth on this before and its clear that there isnt any common ground. It's good to see that the UAW is back to the same old even though they should have been fucked after bankruptcy; gift from the government I guess. My disagreement is almost embodied in this statement by the UAW:

"When GM was struggling, our members shared in the sacrifice. Now that the company is posting profits again, our members want to share in the success," UAW Vice President Joe Ashton, the chief negotiator with GM, said in a statement. "The wages and benefits we negotiated in this tentative agreement reflect the fact that it was UAW members who helped turn this company around."

In an automaker's wet dream we woudl jump forward 10 years in technology and the cars would be built entirely by machines and they could finally shed the UAW.

Last edited by 88blackgt; 09-21-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

I'm not even going any farther on this one; we've already gone back and forth on this before and its clear that there isnt any common ground. It's good to see that the UAW is back to the same old even though they should have been fucked after bankruptcy; gift from the government I guess. My disagreement is almost embodied in this statement by the UAW:

"When GM was struggling, our members shared in the sacrifice. Now that the company is posting profits again, our members want to share in the success," UAW Vice President Joe Ashton, the chief negotiator with GM, said in a statement. "The wages and benefits we negotiated in this tentative agreement reflect the fact that it was UAW members who helped turn this company around."

In an automaker's wet dream we woudl jump forward 10 years in technology and the cars would be built entirely by machines and they could finally shed the UAW.

since you choose to only post part of that article did you notice who got raises and who didnt?

ill bet not.

stop your whining and get over the fact the UAW isnt going anywhere.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

‎"There is a story that Reuther was touring a highly automated Ford Assembly Plant when someone said, Walter, you're going to have a hard time collecting union dues from all these machines. Reuther simply shot back, not as hard a time as you're going to have selling them cars." -Ronald Reagan

Wealth inequality for our country is statistically embarrassing. If people like yourself think manufacturing jobs are a minimal concern then youre in for an education if they go away. Capitalism can only succeed with an affluent working class and that means coming to terms with the fact that not everyone gets straight As and goes on to a masters degree. Theres a percentage of the population that is low skilled yet still wants to work. Should they therefore be denied access to the economy because chose not to go to college or couldnt afford to?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

what alot dont want to accept or realize is that a large reason why were in this situation economically is because of a lack of manufacturing in this country.

why some think its a good thing to move jobs overseas i have no idea.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

And more so what closing a factory,that employs a large percentage of a community, can do to communities economy as well as a states. Whats also an outrage is how accepting working class conservatives are with their employers being given millions in tax breaks by state govts ,that are in massive debt as it is, to the point that these businesses contribute almost nothing back to the states in tax revenue
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wannabess00
‎Wealth inequality for our country is statistically embarrassing. If people like yourself think manufacturing jobs are a minimal concern then youre in for an education if they go away. Capitalism can only succeed with an affluent working class and that means coming to terms with the fact that not everyone gets straight As and goes on to a masters degree. Theres a percentage of the population that is low skilled yet still wants to work. Should they therefore be denied access to the economy because chose not to go to college or couldnt afford to?
what alot dont want to accept or realize is that a large reason why were in this situation economically is because of a lack of manufacturing in this country.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: GM to reopen tennessee plant.