Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Recall and repair? Not so fast...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recall and repair? Not so fast...

More awesomeness from GM... The new one, not the old... http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77I0Z820110819

This has "winner" written all over it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats bullshit!

GM should have to pay double jsut for trying that ****.

I think im gonna go sell about $100,000 worth of crack and get out of it because that was "the old me"
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As much as I love gm products, the company itself is rather shitty when it comes to standing behind their product. I kinda hope they get hammered in court over this.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

The bigger problem has yet to present itself to GM... Once this story concludes, and GM loses their case(and I believe they will, all things considered), they will have only made more Americans angry at the company and thus, lose more business. Bad ideas abound...
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=It'llrun;15305629]GM loses their case(and I believe they will, all things considered)[QUOTE]

Not so fast; they won a similair suit already. Put simply they are separate entities in the eyes of the law, the same way you wouldnt expect Dodge to pay for Ford's recalls after Ford goes out of business. Shitty yes, but they do have a basis for denying these claims.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ they can use whatever lawyer technicallity bullshit they want. thats plain wrong
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sheikss
as much as i love gm products, the company itself is rather shitty when it comes to standing behind their product. i kinda hope they get hammered in court over this.
+1.....
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

While they may not have a legal obligation to fix the problem in the eyes of the law, they most certainly do have an ethical obligation to fix the problem in the eyes of the public. Being a dick to your customers to avoid an expense only helps with short term finances. In the long run, it will end up costing them exponentially more in negative PR and lost sales.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, ethics and economics are separate courses in college. While this is a potentially big cost for GM to deal with, it is an even bigger cost in terms of public image. However, if the matter is resolved simply by directing the cost to "old GM" and the warranty repair is taken care of, I really don't see the problem. You just have to knock on the correct door.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
^^ they can use whatever lawyer technicallity bullshit they want. thats plain wrong
X 58,132...maybe more
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
While they may not have a legal obligation to fix the problem in the eyes of the law, they most certainly do have an ethical obligation to fix the problem in the eyes of the public. Being a dick to your customers to avoid an expense only helps with short term finances. In the long run, it will end up costing them exponentially more in negative PR and lost sales.
I agree. Most people I know that refuse to buy a GM car do so due to reputation. They don't say they hate the look of the cars or price. Sometimes they say reliability but it is usually reputation.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs down

why dont they just ask for more bailout money to pay for this? ***********!

none of them have changed. they all deserve to go out of business.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

None of the companies that received this "bailout" deserved or was entitled to ANY money from the tax payers. 50% of the nation just went along with it... Myself and everyone else as tax payers are NOT responsible period for the financial woes of a private corporation.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Originally Posted by It'llrun
GM loses their case(and I believe they will, all things considered)
Not so fast; they won a similair suit already. Put simply they are separate entities in the eyes of the law, the same way you wouldnt expect Dodge to pay for Ford's recalls after Ford goes out of business. Shitty yes, but they do have a basis for denying these claims.
The problem they'll have isn't just that it looks bad, but that they've already paid for or repaired vehicles for the cops or whoever and that will likely leave them compelled to make repairs for everyone else. Taking the road now, of refusing repairs to something that's more than likely a recall issue anyway, will only lead to more trouble at Gov't Motors. They're taking the approach that GM simply doesn't care about the customer in any way, shape or form, except on the receiving money end. It's bound to bite them in the *** in the long run. I've been considering a new Silverado for months now, but there are constantly new reasons to NOT buy from GM. It's a solid pickup, but the company is about as solid as a 200 degree wet noodle. Currently, I simply won't buy a GM vehicle(unless the price is way too good to pass up) and I know many others who feel the same. I grew up in a GM and Dodge family. Currently, I don't know any family member who owns a GM or a Dodge and that includes an uncle who was the GM of a Pontiac dealership for some 31yrs.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are just using the benefits of going bankrupt and that includes not having to pay alot of debt and no longer being responsible to uphold anything they did wrong or right in the past because they dont have to by law thats the upside to doing it is being able to wipe away all the ****-ups you did in the past and start fresh.Yes it sucks but alot of people do it all the time and people dont care hell most people just say go bankrupt change the company name and move on thats been the practice for alot of business owners for decades but most people didnt care until a gaint like GM did it and asked for us the tax payers to help but if we didnt could you imagine what the fall out of that would have been to the people that work for gm and all the suppliers from parts to paint to office supplies?It would be way worse then the money spent to keep a business of this size alive in the U.S and help us pull out of the slump the U.S is iin wrong or right it was the best choice and i hope it works out for all.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

(church lady voice)..."how convenient"...

Nice way to sidestep your responsibilities. *** U GM. I'll never buy a new car from them. I also stay out of the parts dept as much as I can...which is alot.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like they've stumbled upon the next big business idea. If you know you make a faulty product:
1. Sell product anyway.
2. Profit.
3. File Bankruptcy.
4. Create new company making the same product (or slightly different product).
5. Profits protected.

Just when I was starting to like GM again...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Seems like they've stumbled upon the next big business idea. If you know you make a faulty product:
1. Sell product anyway.
2. Profit.
3. File Bankruptcy.
4. Create new company making the same product (or slightly different product).
5. Profits protected.

Just when I was starting to like GM again...
Yeah it seems like everyone is going to punish the new guys at gm for the problem that the old guys did and thats not fair just like when a local business does you wrong you say im not going back then a little time goes by and you see the sign that says "Under New Management" and you think ummm maybe ill go back and see what its like and then you realize now you like the place and its no longer on your ban list and dont act like you guys have never had that happen in one way or another.As far as paying up to a past debt, nobody would ever do that when they file bankruptcy think about how many people do you know that have done it and screwed over countless people and companies that gave them money for cars and a new house yet once they file they feel like they no longer owe them anything, is that wrong or right or maybe you yourself have done it yet you knock them for doing it?Its easy to say how messed up they were under old management but have any of you guys stopped to think what they have done to change?Or maybe asked how much of the bailout they have payed back?Nope but what if someone said hey were going to bail out your failing business would say sure or nah im good ill just let it go under and be broke hell no come guys its a new day and hopefully a new GM lets look for the positive side of things instead of bashing them every chance you get.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Most companies who file for bankruptcy protection aren't any of the largest in the world. Most don't make products everyone has a use for on a regular basis. Most didn't get a bailout from "We, the People" either. There's plenty of reason to treat this situation as if GM is different... It is different.

Taking into consideration, GM did make the repairs for some(a large share of their market) who needed it while telling those who can't buy multiple vehicles at once, just makes it look worse, as if GM is only after the money. They made all those vehicles and they should stand behind them identically regardless who bought one. GM addressed it as a safety item when it came to cop cars, so they should do the same for any model using the same parts and showing similar problems. They should at least try so they won't have to lose business later. After all, the common single car purchase still makes up a larger percentage of sales. Those customers are no less important in the end.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firebird99
They are just using the benefits of going bankrupt and that includes not having to pay alot of debt and no longer being responsible to uphold anything they did wrong or right in the past because they dont have to by law thats the upside to doing it is being able to wipe away all the ****-ups you did in the past and start fresh.Yes it sucks but alot of people do it all the time and people dont care hell most people just say go bankrupt change the company name and move on thats been the practice for alot of business owners for decades
True.

Originally Posted by firebird99
most people didnt care until a gaint like GM did it and asked for us the tax payers to help but if we didnt could you imagine what the fall out of that would have been to the people that work for gm and all the suppliers from parts to paint to office supplies?It would be way worse then the money spent to keep a business of this size alive in the U.S and help us pull out of the slump the U.S is iin wrong or right it was the best choice and i hope it works out for all.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Recall and repair? Not so fast...