Camaro Drag Pack coming soon?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Drag Pack coming soon?!?

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/rumor-cama...et-on-the-way/

Rumor: Camaro Competitor for Mustang Cobra Jet On The Way

"Since it was introduced as a 2008 model, the Mustang Cobra Jet has gone unopposed by Chevy in the world of turnkey factory drag racers. Designed for NHRA Stock and Super Stock competition, the FR500CJ has set records in multiple classes, and despite a very limited production run in each of the model years it’s been available, it has been an unqualified success on the dragstrip as well as a fan favorite.

For 2012, a revised supercharged 5.4l Modular V8 pushing 430 or so horsepower sits under the hood, and the CJ weighs in around 3,200 pounds ready-to-race, minus the driver. Chevy racers looking to compete against the Cobra Jet have had to build their own Camaro, either by stripping down the portly showroom version, or by building up from a “body in white” as no comparable car is available from the General.

That’s all about to change, however. It is our belief that at this year’s SEMA show in Las Vegas at the beginning of November, Chevy will announce their answer to the CJ – a Stock Eliminator Camaro. We’re trying to sniff out more than just confirmation that the project exists; while we have no details, it’s safe to guess that such a car will spec out much like the CJ in terms of being a serialized-but-not-street-legal chassis with upgraded drag-specific suspension, chassis, and brakes. While the production Camaro SS’ naturally aspirated LS3 matches the blown CJ 5.4 in terms of horsepower, GM Performance Parts has a lot more cool stuff in their toybox than Ford Racing.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a heavy car, and we suspect it will be difficult to match the FR500CJ’s weight, so more power is likely for a SEC. A production-spec LS7 would be an easy choice to make the new Camaro factory racer outperform the competition, but is too much to ask for a fuel-injected LSX454R in the 700 horsepower range, naturally aspirated? And what about that independent rear suspension? Will it stay, or does GM have a straight axle swap up their sleeve?

At this point, it’s all just speculation beyond the rumor that the Stock Eliminator Camaro will be unveiled in just a few short weeks. Stay tuned as we beat the bushes to see if we can find out more information ahead of the SEMA show…"

I really do hope they make a competitor for the Cobra Jet. Keep it simple, keep it reliable, keep the price below the Cobra Jet, go racing and WIN!!

My Wish list:
-600/700lbs
12 bolt solid axle
4l80e
N/A 454 LSX crate motor

How would you like to see such a beast built?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im anxious to see whats planned. due to 5th gens being successful it makes sense to expand its lineup and try to compete performance wise with ford.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Add me to the list.
If it happens, have factory drag teams compete.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL an the NA LS3 matching the horspower. The SCJ has a 4.0l whipple and an overdrive crank pulley on it....low 8s in the qtr...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
LOL an the NA LS3 matching the horspower. The SCJ has a 4.0l whipple and an overdrive crank pulley on it....low 8s in the qtr...
I agree that GM/Chevrolet will likely not be able to keep up if it's only an NA LS3 or even an NA LS7 based motor...but is that actually what it will be? Maybe a pumped up LSA or even LS9 is in the works?
And those Drag Pack Mustangs actually go low 8s as delivered? Are you sure about that?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would imagine the fastest one are running a smaller upper pulley, and the different classes they race iin have different race weight limits, The motors are built from the factory, I I diodn't think they could be altered.

I think Carl Tasca just recently set the record for a Cobra Jet with a 8.1 @ 169.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I would imagine the fastest one are running a smaller upper pulley, and the different classes they race iin have different race weight limits, The motors are built from the factory, I I diodn't think they could be altered.

I think Carl Tasca just recently set the record for a Cobra Jet with a 8.1 @ 169.
Oh, well yeah once they're modified the cars run real hard of course. I think they start out as mid-high 9 second cars though, no? Still damn fast.
One can certainly modify the Camaro factory drag car once it's in their hands as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think a drag pack would be great but i feel that GM will fall short of the Cobra Jet since ford built that motor with the mind set of a "drag racer" not a bunch of bean counters saying that forged and boosted motors cost to much.But for the sake of a GM guy i hope im wrong and we get a fully forged ls in any cubic inches with a blower or a really big turbo tuned way down but then there still the matter of getting the irs to hold up even though guys have made them run fast the question is how many times will it do it?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Oh, well yeah once they're modified the cars run real hard of course. I think they start out as mid-high 9 second cars though, no? Still damn fast.
One can certainly modify the Camaro factory drag car once it's in their hands as well.
That is just specualting on my end. I know Hopkins' car ran into the 8s on its first pass @ 3200lbs. I heard the TASCA car is 200lbs lighter. They race in the Stock Eliminator class, but I am unsure of what they are lmited to power wise.

I was more speaking of the power figure comment. While they are rated at 430 and 500hp, they are both making MUCH more. The only difference is the blower swap form the TVS to the 4.0 Whipple.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

unless gm cuts weight DRAMATICALLY, itll be a net loss.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those power ratings are total BS. NHRA needs to get real and factor those cars. If Chevy had a similar car I think they would get off their asses and make it fair. I'm sure if Chevy made a drag pack pack camaro with an ls9 motor with a 4.0 blower on it and rated it at 450hp, the ford guys would have a **** fit. But thats prolly what it would take to keep up with them.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

GM should have their car at SEMA this year
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If anything they need to strip it out to lower the weight! If that happens they could still keep the LS3 in it & just give it a H/C/I, sticky tires, some spray & then call it a day!

Quick Reply: Camaro Drag Pack coming soon?!?