Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2014 Silverado spy shots

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 Silverado spy shots

Well i gave it a few days and nobody posted it.

Spy shots of the 2014 Silvy, looks good too from what I can see. It's looking square and I loved the early 80s trucks.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...rado.html#more

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...os-future-cars

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hope they make the rear glass roll down like some other trucks. That'd be sweet. i hope they seriously upgrade the interior. i like the interior of my '03 Z71 better than the interior of my dad's '11 Silverado 3500
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can't tell but it doesn't look like they'll be leaving the GMT-900 platform.

perhaps it'll be a front end redesign/freshen like they did in 03 on the silverado from 99-02's design.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

according to the GM-Trucks forum it will be a whole new platform so probably not a GMT-900
setup
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that's kind of strange for GM, considering their record.

A body usually lasts about 10 years with minor changes, especially on their truck platform.

surely GM's not trying to experiment now? After decades of stable, well proven design?

I can't say the new platform will be a bad one or anything.. but.. its just that what has attracted me to GM as an auto maker has been the stability they offer over other brands in terms of constant improvement on existing platforms.

I have a GMT-900, I've owned the last 3 bodies as well. I'm not aware of any major design flaw in the GMT-900 platform that would require a change. .maybe they're being forced to change by regulations?

... then again.. the GMT-900 was introduced in 2007. if this is the 2014, that's 6 years of the same platform.. I don't guess that's TERRIBLY unusual for GM..

maybe i'm just paranoid.. what with all the recent ownership changes.. increased exportation of manufacturing to other countries etc.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Looks pretty good from what we can see at least.
Now I'm just hoping that they'll finally offer some variation of the 6.2L with the 6 speed automatic in 2WD with a regular cab and short bed...a relatively fast truck that still tows/hauls and doesn't cost too much.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Their gonna have to build a truck like that Cheyenne concept they had a few years ago if they wanna sell me another new truck. I'm tired of the boxy traditional truck. New and innovative is what I want.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

The pic shows a HD model 2500 or 3500 which just received a completely new frame for 2011. That will remain the same for the HD trucks.

The half tons may or may not get a complete refresh, time will tell. I really hope they improve the look of the Silvy's as I think the GMC front end looks much better. Also the interior needs to best Ford and Dodge, not just catch up, so it better be nice, and stay rattle free for more than 30000 miles!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a nbs 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 and the driveability and gas mileage suck. I wonder how the hell the current truck made it into production. If they can't get their **** straight when I decided to go diesel and crew cab then I will be buying a dodge. That's another thing, they seem to be the smallest, interior wise, when it comes to the crew cabs.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I like my 03 2500hd. If it would've had a 5sp auto like everyone else did at the time it would be better. If they don't come out with something to match the the Dodge Power Wagon then I will be goin Dodge also.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sheikss
I got a nbs 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 and the driveability and gas mileage suck. I wonder how the hell the current truck made it into production. If they can't get their **** straight when I decided to go diesel and crew cab then I will be buying a dodge. That's another thing, they seem to be the smallest, interior wise, when it comes to the crew cabs.
I would advise driving the new frame HD 2011+ Duramax and the Cummins back to back before you write off the GM truck. At this point, it is the more capable truck with more power.

Interior is another thing. I know the trend is bigger is better, but at what point is it just ridiculous? I'm not sure why anyone needs to lounge in the back seat of a truck, just to watch a movie?

Anyway, I've driven all 3 of the HD offerings (40+ diesel HDs spread throughout all 3 brands), and there are very good reasons I own a GM (that I am considering trading on a Vette, lol, but that's a different matter entirely).
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sheikss
I have a GMT-900 4x4 with the 5.3, gets 19mpg city, 20-22 highway.

has about 22k miles on it now.

Has the tahoe interior with the center console, feels like driving a comfortable suv. Quiet ride, smooth, accelerates great on the highway (a little slow for the city.)

I looked at 3 of the big brands when I bought it. Toyota, dodge, GMC.. (I won't buy a ford.) Dodge was faster and I liked it's looks better, but they had a tailgate latch failure during the test drive. Toyota wouldn't LET me test drive. the guy wouldn't even let me sit in the truck. From what I could tell it felt very.. japanese.. it even SMELLED like a japanese vehicle. Odd since they're very american made now.

My only complaint that i've had on GM trucks since 1967 has been that they're all too slow.

you can add a leaky rear driver's half door and malfunctioning AFM system to that for my 2010 (burns oil and has valve click if you don't keep the oil absolutely full.)

Otherwise... I think GM has done an excellent job for a very long time on their trucks. I hope to have an "oobs" (73-87) project one of these days.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Test drive a Denali 1500, doubt you will think its slow
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Their gonna have to build a truck like that Cheyenne concept they had a few years ago if they wanna sell me another new truck. I'm tired of the boxy traditional truck. New and innovative is what I want.
While I don't agree with you on the Cheyenne concept, I do think they need to come out with something a lot different. I haven't been able to stand the way they look since they came out, the 99-06 trucks looked WAY better.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

My '03 Z71 has been a great truck, very little rattles but it does have alot of wind noise. I just found i have to do some 4wd fixes unfortunatly but i drive alot of miles a year and alot in the snow so it happens
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I can't say the new platform will be a bad one or anything.. but.. its just that what has attracted me to GM as an auto maker has been the stability they offer over other brands in terms of constant improvement on existing platforms.
Government regulation, especially concerning fuel economy and emissions is ruling that out across the market. Trucks and SUVs in the next two generations may undergo a huge change to meet a big increase in corporate average fuel economy.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
Government regulation, especially concerning fuel economy and emissions is ruling that out across the market. Trucks and SUVs in the next two generations may undergo a huge change to meet a big increase in corporate average fuel economy.
and this is why I'm buying older cars and fixing them up.

I don't like government dictating what my car has.. and it has all kinds of nannies in them now too.. black boxes, on star.. no thanks.

hell the guy on the radio today was talking about mandatory breathalizers on EVERY new car. What an idiot.

The new deisgns will be lighter and probably smalller.. more gears, smaller engines, boost..stuff that will probably in the long term be GOOD.. but forced innovation doesn't always yield the best product.

The best thing to come ou tof this is the new gen V motors.

if they have a lot of potential.. there's nothing at all wrong with taking a pull-out and dropping it into a conversion vehicle. Then you can have your cake and eat it without the gauge cluster flashing "no eating while driving" or something.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

YES! i was afraid that with the new colorados and trailblazers looking like traverses, that they would do this to the nose on the Silverados
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I have a GMT-900 4x4 with the 5.3, gets 19mpg city, 20-22 highway.

has about 22k miles on it now.

Has the tahoe interior with the center console, feels like driving a comfortable suv. Quiet ride, smooth, accelerates great on the highway (a little slow for the city.)

I looked at 3 of the big brands when I bought it. Toyota, dodge, GMC.. (I won't buy a ford.) Dodge was faster and I liked it's looks better, but they had a tailgate latch failure during the test drive. Toyota wouldn't LET me test drive. the guy wouldn't even let me sit in the truck. From what I could tell it felt very.. japanese.. it even SMELLED like a japanese vehicle. Odd since they're very american made now.

My only complaint that i've had on GM trucks since 1967 has been that they're all too slow.

you can add a leaky rear driver's half door and malfunctioning AFM system to that for my 2010 (burns oil and has valve click if you don't keep the oil absolutely full.)

Otherwise... I think GM has done an excellent job for a very long time on their trucks. I hope to have an "oobs" (73-87) project one of these days.
You must not have driven an '11+ duramax, I can assure you they are "FAST" for an 8000 lb truck

We have a 2007 2500HD classic, 6.0/5speed manual, and an '11 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ, the '11 is 10 times the truck the 07 is and the 07 Was/is a great truck. The new frame is amazing, it's so rigid it's ridiculous, considering we pull 40+ foot 5th wheel car trailers, load them with scrap, and sometimes have a combined weight of well over the cdl limit, (26,000+) I would say it's a good test of a truck. The '11 Is like a rock, litterally pun intended.

What I want to see in the 2014, A better grill. I like the current interior, it's a truck....as long as it does it's job as a truck, im happy. I would also like to see some better rims, my 07 says alcoa made in hungary, the '11 says made in china......
Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks exactly like the GMT900 front end to me, I think I see projector headlights though, that could definitely help make it a little more upscale looking. Not really a fan of the current gen GM trucks since 03-06's are my all time favorite, but I'm interested in seeing what they will do with the upcoming gen.

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado spy shots