Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sax1031
what is going to be interesting is seeing the specs for the new Viper.
Not really. That's a two seater and will be about 500 pounds lighter aimed at the vette along with a 6 digits tag.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or did this article basically say nothing?

The GT500 looks like a fantastic car, but the Q&A didn't reveal anything we didn't know/figure already.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Is it just me or did this article basically say nothing?

The GT500 looks like a fantastic car, but the Q&A didn't reveal anything we didn't know/figure already.
I doubt many people thought it would be quicker than a Ford GT around a road course.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

what i dont get is how fast and how much power are they going to push out of these cars? when is the limit? i remember when having 400hp was godlike...now were competing in the 650hp range...STOCK. holy crap.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
what i dont get is how fast and how much power are they going to push out of these cars? when is the limit? i remember when having 400hp was godlike...now were competing in the 650hp range...STOCK. holy crap.
there are stock production cars in the world with over 1200 hp

but yea, its strange to see lowly "muscle" cars with so much these days. whats next? a base V8 camaro or mustang with 475-500 hp?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I doubt many people thought it would be quicker than a Ford GT around a road course.
It already is, at least on some courses.

Virginia International Raceway

Ford GT - 3:00.07

2011 GT500 - 2:58.00

I mean I understand different drivers/different days, but it is already approaching or past the GT on the road course.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '00_Z
GM should up the ante on the ZR1 by bumping it up to 700+ hp and drop it's current set up in the ZL1 and re-designate it the Z28.
so change the name so it can't be beat?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

The Camaros suspension technology may be it's saving grace until power is upped, but that's no garauntee. Look at how the Mustang has been beating up on the M3 Bimmers since the 5.0 was introduced. Granted the Camaro is working with a more advanced set up, but the stick axle Mustang has been going toe to toe or beating the superior suspended, similarly powerful BMW.

Now we're talking a car with a big power and weight advantage taking on a car whose only advantage is it's suspension.

Another thing to consider come time to modify.. Ever see the upper pulley on the new GT500 mill? Not much room to go smaller. The ZL1, however, is pushing less boost and has a much bigger pulley. Granted once the mods start anything goes, but this would be a simple change for the next model year.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 AM
10 Second Club

I mean I understand different drivers/different days, but it is already approaching or past the GT on the road course.
Wow.

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Another thing to consider come time to modify.. Ever see the upper pulley on the new GT500 mill? Not much room to go smaller. The ZL1, however, is pushing less boost and has a much bigger pulley. Granted once the mods start anything goes, but this would be a simple change for the next model year.
True. I'm more concerned right now with how the stock ZL1s will run in private (skilled) hands, but I also can't wait to see the results once they're modded as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
The Camaros suspension technology may be it's saving grace until power is upped, but that's no garauntee. Look at how the Mustang has been beating up on the M3 Bimmers since the 5.0 was introduced. Granted the Camaro is working with a more advanced set up, but the stick axle Mustang has been going toe to toe or beating the superior suspended, similarly powerful BMW.

Now we're talking a car with a big power and weight advantage taking on a car whose only advantage is it's suspension.

You can still go a little smaller on top, but you can always do a lower pulley as well
A lower pulley, thorttlebody and header back GT500 will make 700+whp.
That is a lot of power with a couple very minor changes.

A heads, cam upper and lower LSA does not even get you that.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bah321
I am 75% sure I want the 2013 to be my next car when I sell my Z06.
And you said i could have this for free????? right?

sweet.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

I think he was possibly pointing out that Ford just made the statement, the 2013 GT500 outran the Ford GT, possibly on the Nurburgring course. If that's the case, the ZL1 is truly in trouble against the new GT500.

After all, the GT clearly covered the same ring more quickly than did this all new suspensioned ZL1, which is very similarly powered(and much heavier). It speaks volumes for the ZL1 that it's even close to a GT on probably the most appluaded course in the world, by the way.

On the other hand, I'm not fully convinced he meant to allow THAT cat outta the bag, so maybe he was off-handedly saying it's quicker in general.

Most serious note: If the GT500 is quicker than the GT was ON the ring, that's incredible! Solid axle WONDERCAR!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I think he was possibly pointing out that Ford just made the statement, the 2013 GT500 outran the Ford GT, possibly on the Nurburgring course. If that's the case, the ZL1 is truly in trouble against the new GT500.

After all, the GT clearly covered the same ring more quickly than did this all new suspensioned ZL1, which is very similarly powered(and much heavier). It speaks volumes for the ZL1 that it's even close to a GT on probably the most appluaded course in the world, by the way.

On the other hand, I'm not fully convinced he meant to allow THAT cat outta the bag, so maybe he was off-handedly saying it's quicker in general.

Most serious note: If the GT500 is quicker than the GT was ON the ring, that's incredible! Solid axle WONDERCAR!
it all comes down to weight.

weight, weight, weight, weight, weight..

the ZL needs a damned diet. badly.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by It'llrun

I don't think he was talking about the ring, but he might have been.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can understand that, but 650 hp with not a lot of weight doesn't make that earth shattering news IMO. Even with that, the rest of the release was kinda useless to me.

I don't know, maybe it's just that the Q&A had Q's that I didn't have.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

You are forgetting the shitty interior Fords have. Cheap fake leather, cheap buttons etc. Same with the new camaro too though. The worst thing for me is the solid live axle. The only thing I like about that is the fact you can rev it up to 6000RPM and let the clutch out and not break anything, other than that they flat out suck. I'll take a nice riding/handling ZL1 any day.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
You are forgetting the shitty interior Fords have. Cheap fake leather, cheap buttons etc. Same with the new camaro too though. The worst thing for me is the solid live axle. The only thing I like about that is the fact you can rev it up to 6000RPM and let the clutch out and not break anything, other than that they flat out suck. I'll take a nice riding/handling ZL1 any day.
LOL, you have got to be kidding me. Since when does a 650hp Mustang "flat-out suck"?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

According to the Chief SVT engineer, 2013 GT500 is faster than the Ford GT around the road course, and performance from 0-150mph is very similar.

Here are the coments from Jamal Hameedi from an SVT Q&A that was held today..
Comment From Dylon
When will we see pricing on the new GT500? Quarter Mile times? 0-60 proof?

11:03 Jamal Hameedi: We'll be publishing performance stats in the next few months, trust me, you'll be happy.

Comment From Kevin
Has the MSRP been determined for the '13 GT500?

Ford: MSRP will be revealed soon. We are all smiling over here Kevin!

Comment From Kevin
I'm am interested on how you guys are taking the Chevy mud slinging. Looks as if the GT500 better do its job in a straight line and on a course. How is it performing at nurburg testing? Satisfied with results compared to what the ZL1 has offered to release?

11:06

Jamal Hameedi: We can't wait to get the car in the hands of journalists!
11:06

Jamal Hameedi: and customers as well!

Comment From GARY WOOD
Hello, Is the TORSEN Diff. tough enough for drag racing?

Jamal Hameedi: Yes, we've had the Torsen diff at the drag strip and we've never broken one.

Comment From Sean
With the new Focus-ST and the Boss both being non-SVT vehicles, what is the status or future of the SVT program?
11:07

Jamal Hameedi: Hi Sean, there are SVT engineers working on the ST program. We are all one global performance group now.
11:07
Comment From Guest
As a 2012 SVT Raptor Owner, I was wondering, will ford be hosting any Raptor weekends for owners to come and play with out trucks with a SVT engineer? Also, I love my truck!
11:08

Jamal Hameedi: Look for future Raptor Round-Up's

11:08
Comment From Shant Meg.
I am debating a Shelby with the performance Pack. Will the ride be stiffer than a Shelby without the Performance Pack?
11:09
Jamal Hameedi: Hi Shant, the SVT-engineered Bilstein suspension on comfort mode will offer a nice ride!

Comment From Frank
Congrats on the first 20 Years of SVT, what does the future of SVT look like with the Ford Global business focus?
Jamal Hameedi: Hi Frank, the future is really exciting. When we leverage our global performance engineering capability it means more performance cars at the end of the day for our enthusiasts.

Ford: We just had a question come in from one of our Google+ fans: I'm a big fan of the Ford GT. Between the Shelby GT500 and the Ford GT which one is the superior performer?
Jamal Hameedi: To our friend on Google+. The GT500 and the Ford GT are pretty different vehicles—but we bench marked the GT quite a bit. The GT500 and GT are roughly similar in performance up to 150 MPH and the GT500 is faster on a road course.

Comment From Shant Meg.
Hi Guys, How crucial will the new Track Pack on the Shelby be if I will track the Shelby only a few times in it's lifetime?
11:28 Jamal Hameedi: Hi Shant, if you're an accomplished driver and you track your GT500 you'll definitely want the track pack.
Comment From George B
Will there be a "Track Key" with the 2013GT500 ? Will there be any restrictions or speed limitations on the car whatsoever?
11:26 Jamal Hameedi: Hey George, the GT500 Coupe is not speed-limited.

That is pretty cool to hear This info really made them take out the ban hammer over at Camaro 5.

your last comment....i've seen stuff like this referenced before. what's the deal with camaro5? do they ban anyone that doesn't agree with them or something?

i mean....you guys put up with people like me, and for the most part seem like a pretty cool bunch.....even if yas are chevy nuts.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow.

True. I'm more concerned right now with how the stock ZL1s will run in private (skilled) hands, but I also can't wait to see the results once they're modded as well.
i foresee a lot of zl1's, and gt500's going into corners way too fast, way too deep, and braking way too late, landing them in the body shop.

that said........ooohhhhh how i almost wish i hadn't bought my gt.....another year of saving money, and i might've had enough to put a nice downpayment on a gt500. black on black leather heated seats, nav, sync...........
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I can understand that, but 650 hp with not a lot of weight doesn't make that earth shattering news IMO. Even with that, the rest of the release was kinda useless to me.
I thought it was a tad on the "ya don't say" side overall. That said, the GT500 is a friggin' boat on wheels, even though it's lighter than the Camaro or Challenger. It's still a 3800 lb car, or heavier.

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
That's some harsh talk against the solid axle. I think it's GREAT that any SRA/live axle car can be so efficient. It's less expensive and certainly stronger per pound... and pounding, for that matter.

What makes the live axle "flat out suck," anyway? I mean, it's not like the car doesn't handle better than about 99% of ALL vehicles ever created... So if it's that "good" in real life, I'm having trouble gathering in why anyone would be so staunchly against it, particularly having never even laid eyes on the thing... I have IRS in my DD and it's not something I waste much time thinking over. The ONLY time IRS is truly helpful is on actually rough/bumpy surfaces or when turning at (great) speed. I sense no difference riding along on normal roadways. In fact, my mothers car still rides smoother and it has a live axle.

PS the GT500 already handles as well as the SS, or better. In fact, I'm thinking the current GT500 is on par with the ZL1... SRA and all. I just don't see saying "that sucks" because it's not something which has been hyped for years, even though it does the same job for thousands less... I guess I just missed that specific (short) bus.

Quick Reply: ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...