Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Most serious note: If the GT500 is quicker than the GT was ON the ring, that's incredible! Solid axle WONDERCAR!
I agree.

I thought it was a tad on the "ya don't say" side overall. That said, the GT500 is a friggin' boat on wheels, even though it's lighter than the Camaro or Challenger. It's still a 3800 lb car, or heavier.
Closer to 3850 I believe...and I'm thinking that the 2013 might even be over 3900+.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
your last comment....i've seen stuff like this referenced before. what's the deal with camaro5? do they ban anyone that doesn't agree with them or something?

i mean....you guys put up with people like me, and for the most part seem like a pretty cool bunch.....even if yas are chevy nuts.
Pretty much, there is nothing superior to the 5th Gen according to that crowd...well maybe not that bad but for the most part they are. You disagree with 1 thing on there with them and you are history unlike on here where we have friendly (for the most part) debates...which is part of being a car enthusiast.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Pretty much, there is nothing superior to the 5th Gen according to that crowd...well maybe not that bad but for the most part they are. You disagree with 1 thing on there with them and you are history unlike on here where we have friendly (for the most part) debates...which is part of being a car enthusiast.
wow. that's sad. it almost makes me want to register over there, and see how long it'll take me to get the banstick.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow. that's sad. it almost makes me want to register over there, and see how long it'll take me to get the banstick.
i don't even go over there anymore. don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is very helpful like DIY threads and a bunch of useful info but other than that i stay away.

when i told them i sold my ss and bought a c5z they thought i was crazy.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JHL88
i don't even go over there anymore. don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is very helpful like DIY threads and a bunch of useful info but other than that i stay away.

when i told them i sold my ss and bought a c5z they thought i was crazy.
so....you bought a better car and they thought ya were nuts? i wonder if they realize that the 5th gen isn't even american? think their heads would explode if someone told them that?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

so....you bought a better car and they thought ya were nuts?
I don't know if I'd necessarily call the C5 Z06 a better car, it might be yes, and it certainly is a better performance car of course. I personally would rather have a C5 over a 5th gen as well, but I'm just not sure if it's truly a better car in every single way.

i wonder if they realize that the 5th gen isn't even american?
Well, it is a General Motors Chevrolet Camaro born of American design and engineering built in North America by North Americans not all that far from the American border out of many parts that were also designed and manufactured in America.
Maybe less so than a Corvette or a Mustang, but it's still pretty damn American LOL.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I don't know if I'd necessarily call the C5 Z06 a better car, it might be yes, and it certainly is a better performance car of course. I personally would rather have a C5 over a 5th gen as well, but I'm just not sure if it's truly a better car in every single way.

Well, it is a General Motors Chevrolet Camaro born of American design and engineering built in North America by North Americans not all that far from the American border out of many parts that were also designed and manufactured in America.
Maybe less so than a Corvette or a Mustang, but it's still pretty damn American LOL.
i was going on the fact that the 5th gen is basically a holden....manaro? i think it is?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

i was going on the fact that the 5th gen is basically a holden....manaro? i think it is?
I wouldn't really call it that though I can see where some would say that as well. There was a lot of Australian/Holden influence in it's structure/design and it does share many underpinnings with the Commodore/G8 that are also based on the same Zeta platform, but the Camaro is still essentially it's own line, not just a rebadging of another car.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I wouldn't really call it that though I can see where some would say that as well. There was a lot of Australian/Holden influence in it's structure/design and it does share many underpinnings with the Commodore/G8 that are also based on the same Zeta platform, but the Camaro is still essentially it's own line, not just a rebadging of another car.
yea i know....but it's supposed to be Americas premier muscle car. not north Americas....Americas.....it should be designed and built HERE. that's just my opinion though. there's absolutely no reason chevy couldn't do that car and make ti completely bad *** without going down under.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

yea i know....but it's supposed to be Americas premier muscle car. not north Americas....Americas.....it should be designed and built HERE. that's just my opinion though. there's absolutely no reason chevy couldn't do that car and make ti completely bad *** without going down under.
...or up north LOL.
I agree. And it's probably at least a small part of why I might lean more towards a Mustang GT over a Camaro SS if I were currently cross shopping the two of them.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

From what I've seen lately, if there comes a time I decide to buy a new pony car, I have no doubt about 2 things. #1, I like the Dodge best for a number of reasons. #2, I'd buy the Mustang in the end because it comes out on top of the "overall value" category.

That said, I'm not really inclined to buy a new pony car. I went to the local Chevy and Ford dealerships recently and decided I've already learned all I need to about these ponies, so I'm going to look for the cheapest cars on the lot instead. Turns out, I don't want any of them because they just don't seem like solid vehicles to me. SO... If I buy, it's almost bound to be a Corvette of the C6 vintage. It really has proven itself. It's not just a great performer, it also looks simply stunning impo.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick V.
And you said i could have this for free????? right?

sweet.
Haha, hmmmm...only if free = 40K
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I buy, it's almost bound to be a Corvette of the C6 vintage. It really has proven itself. It's not just a great performer, it also looks simply stunning impo.
One thing I dislike about the corvette, is that the next generation is typically so much better, that it makes the previous version not so special. I am not sure if that will carry forward, but it certainly did with the c4 to c5 to c6.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
One thing I dislike about the corvette, is that the next generation is typically so much better, that it makes the previous version not so special. I am not sure if that will carry forward, but it certainly did with the c4 to c5 to c6.
I agree, but doubt it will with the "C7" because... Well, how much better CAN they get? Unless GM takes the pricing to the $150,000 and up range, it's unlikely the 7 will be all that much greater, considering no brand new engine or even new version of the current engine is expected, along with the consideration of building a smaller engine in the future. Basically... we're left with turbocharging or blasting the price right into supercar territory and I don't see GM doing the latter. I would NEVER be shocked about a turbo Corvette... Don't really expect it though, at all. Maybe the new one is AWD or turbo...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

it's unlikely the 7 will be all that much greater, considering no brand new engine or even new version of the current engine is expected
I do believe that at the very least, a new version of the current engine (engines?) is actually expected (but not definite of course).
Direct Injection, VVT etc.

And perhaps a noteworthy transmission change as well?
7 speed manual, DCT sequential manuamatic maybe?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

I could live with all that, but I don't see it happening all together in the initial C7 offering. Maybe the smaller DI engine and maybe a 7spd too, but that's about all they'll be able to give.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
You are forgetting the shitty interior Fords have. Cheap fake leather, cheap buttons etc. Same with the new camaro too though. The worst thing for me is the solid live axle. The only thing I like about that is the fact you can rev it up to 6000RPM and let the clutch out and not break anything, other than that they flat out suck. I'll take a nice riding/handling ZL1 any day.
Very bold talk about interior quality from somebody driving a Trailblazer and a 4th generation Camaro...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

I am not one to really place much value on a car's interior but the interior on the newer GT500s is worlds better than any corvette offered now.....and I would have to give it better build quality as well, but not by much. The C7 will probably correct this though.

If ford gets this car to hook up it will run 10s @ 125+ bone stock, and you get this for around 55k-60k new....with huge aftermarket potential. I don't get whats not to like.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

When it comes to interior 2005-2006 GTO all the way, now the exterior we DON'T need to debate
Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bah321
I am not one to really place much value on a car's interior but the interior on the newer GT500s is worlds better than any corvette offered now
Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "worlds better"...some (not necessarily myself) might even argue that it's barely better at all.
An alcantara steering wheel cover and a Shaker 500 stereo alone don't automatically make an interior 500% better ya know. Those optional Recaro seats are nice though.

Originally Posted by bah321
If ford gets this car to hook up it will run 10s @ 125+ bone stock
It is possible, but that's a big 'if', hoping that the car's new launch control will work some magic. And of course, let's not overlook the weight of the thing either.

Quick Reply: ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...