Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...

According to the Chief SVT engineer, 2013 GT500 is faster than the Ford GT around the road course, and performance from 0-150mph is very similar.

Here are the coments from Jamal Hameedi from an SVT Q&A that was held today..
Comment From Dylon
When will we see pricing on the new GT500? Quarter Mile times? 0-60 proof?

11:03 Jamal Hameedi: We'll be publishing performance stats in the next few months, trust me, you'll be happy.

Comment From Kevin
Has the MSRP been determined for the '13 GT500?

Ford: MSRP will be revealed soon. We are all smiling over here Kevin!

Comment From Kevin
I'm am interested on how you guys are taking the Chevy mud slinging. Looks as if the GT500 better do its job in a straight line and on a course. How is it performing at nurburg testing? Satisfied with results compared to what the ZL1 has offered to release?

11:06

Jamal Hameedi: We can't wait to get the car in the hands of journalists!
11:06

Jamal Hameedi: and customers as well!

Comment From GARY WOOD
Hello, Is the TORSEN Diff. tough enough for drag racing?

Jamal Hameedi: Yes, we've had the Torsen diff at the drag strip and we've never broken one.

Comment From Sean
With the new Focus-ST and the Boss both being non-SVT vehicles, what is the status or future of the SVT program?
11:07

Jamal Hameedi: Hi Sean, there are SVT engineers working on the ST program. We are all one global performance group now.
11:07
Comment From Guest
As a 2012 SVT Raptor Owner, I was wondering, will ford be hosting any Raptor weekends for owners to come and play with out trucks with a SVT engineer? Also, I love my truck!
11:08

Jamal Hameedi: Look for future Raptor Round-Up's

11:08
Comment From Shant Meg.
I am debating a Shelby with the performance Pack. Will the ride be stiffer than a Shelby without the Performance Pack?
11:09
Jamal Hameedi: Hi Shant, the SVT-engineered Bilstein suspension on comfort mode will offer a nice ride!

Comment From Frank
Congrats on the first 20 Years of SVT, what does the future of SVT look like with the Ford Global business focus?
Jamal Hameedi: Hi Frank, the future is really exciting. When we leverage our global performance engineering capability it means more performance cars at the end of the day for our enthusiasts.

Ford: We just had a question come in from one of our Google+ fans: I'm a big fan of the Ford GT. Between the Shelby GT500 and the Ford GT which one is the superior performer?
Jamal Hameedi: To our friend on Google+. The GT500 and the Ford GT are pretty different vehicles—but we bench marked the GT quite a bit. The GT500 and GT are roughly similar in performance up to 150 MPH and the GT500 is faster on a road course.

Comment From Shant Meg.
Hi Guys, How crucial will the new Track Pack on the Shelby be if I will track the Shelby only a few times in it's lifetime?
11:28 Jamal Hameedi: Hi Shant, if you're an accomplished driver and you track your GT500 you'll definitely want the track pack.
Comment From George B
Will there be a "Track Key" with the 2013GT500 ? Will there be any restrictions or speed limitations on the car whatsoever?
11:26 Jamal Hameedi: Hey George, the GT500 Coupe is not speed-limited.

That is pretty cool to hear This info really made them take out the ban hammer over at Camaro 5.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's fairly obvious at this point and from other recent articles that SVT has done some serious work to the cars suspension. Once they saw the magnetic ride control on the ZL1 they knew they needed something the same or better which I know they did...why wouldnt they? So with that and the extra HP and less weight they car will more then likely outperform the ZL1 on the road course and strip. As a GM fan I am not afraid to admit that because I think both Camaro and Mustang have fantastic models offered to everyone. I am VERY curious to see if GM will respond and up the ZL1 power or do what everyone wants and put the car on a diet (unlikely) for 2013/14 but doubtful.

GM seems to be standing by what they claim with the ZL1 so...interesting to see how this turns out.

Camaro5.com = bunch of stuck up idiots who think the Camaro is gods gift of a car and everything else is unworthy. I hate reading that site talk about fanboys.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford I love right now. Ford gets it.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Ford I love right now. Ford gets it.
I respect how he didn't even mention the ZL1, even when asked directly about it. I think that shows they are confident in letting their car do the talking, as oppsed to AL Op looking like he was on the defensive.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

I am 75% sure I want the 2013 to be my next car when I sell my Z06. The modded potential for this car is the luring factor for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

I wish I could get past the fact that the GT500 looks like **** to me. GTR looks good maybe a modified Grand Sport. Bah....can't make up my mind.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Ugh, don't get a GTR, that's cheating lol.

The GT500 looks wise def needs the stripe delete and bigger rear tires for me, maybe lowered

Last edited by bah321; 02-12-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Camaro5.com = bunch of stuck up idiots who think the Camaro is gods gift of a car and everything else is unworthy. I hate reading that site talk about fanboys.
That's 99% of dedicated vehicle forums out there.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Captain Double Post

I am 75% sure I want the 2013 to be my next car when I sell my Z06. The modded potential for this car is the luring factor for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

As good as a job as Ford has done with the live axle setup on the newer Mustangs, I don't see it doing as good as the IRS/Magnetic Ride Suspension on the ZL1 from all out racing to general street driving. And please put some fatter tires on the rear of the GT500.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I'm sad to say but I think the ZL1 is going to get blown out by this car, I just really now want to know how much it will cost. They seem like they're both going to be epic cars but the performance/dollar ratio is going to be the deciding factor for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Yeah, I'm sad to say but I think the ZL1 is going to get blown out by this car, I just really now want to know how much it will cost. They seem like they're both going to be epic cars but the performance/dollar ratio is going to be the deciding factor for me.
I wouldn't expect Ford to price the GT500 that far off from the ZL1.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still never understood why Ford never created a mass produced sports car (like the Corvette).

I guess this lets them put all their efforts into their iconic pony car.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
I still never understood why Ford never created a mass produced sports car (like the Corvette).

I guess this lets them put all their efforts into their iconic pony car.
They did and almost got the Vette axed. Vette stepped up big time after that and the Tbird was done
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM should up the ante on the ZR1 by bumping it up to 700+ hp and drop it's current set up in the ZL1 and re-designate it the Z28.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '00_Z
GM should up the ante on the ZR1 by bumping it up to 700+ hp and drop it's current set up in the ZL1 and re-designate it the Z28.
what is going to be interesting is seeing the specs for the new Viper.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
They did and almost got the Vette axed. Vette stepped up big time after that and the Tbird was done
I kind of meant currently and/or in recent history. The more recent Tbirds were (relatively) a joke.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
I kind of meant currently and/or in recent history. The more recent Tbirds were (relatively) a joke.
For sure. It is a shame.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess you guys forgot about the GT huh? Fords high end supercar it was great but it didnt last to long.And once you have a better model that car can never be top dawg like the ''fbody vs vette'' battle that chevy has to deal with just think about what would happen if we didnt have to worry about out doing the vette and they went all out on a couple different models of the camaro it would be like a mustang with a bowtie.......
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by firebird99
I guess you guys forgot about the GT huh? Fords high end supercar it was great but it didnt last to long.And once you have a better model that car can never be top dawg like the ''fbody vs vette'' battle that chevy has to deal with just think about what would happen if we didnt have to worry about out doing the vette and they went all out on a couple different models of the camaro it would be like a mustang with a bowtie.......
I guess you forgot he said, "mass produced."

Quick Reply: ZL1 in big trouble? Q&A with SVT Chief Engineer today...