Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exclusive: news on the 2015 Focus RS

Link!

Exclusive: news on the 2015 Focus RS
Posted by: Paul Horrell , 13 February 2012

The Focus ST build-up and teasing seems endless. For a diversion, I've been hoovering up details about the next thing after that: the 2015 Focus RS.

OK. the car isn't officially signed off yet, but the engineers know exactly what they want, and more importantly how to get it. And it sounds pretty much as pant-explodingly awesome as the last one. ‘You need at least 320bhp,' says our man intimately connected with Team RS, the special engineering division responsible.

Only one fly in the ointment: it won't get the hilarious soundtrack of the high-boost 2.5-litre five-cylinder. The engineers loved the five-pot too, but they say it was far too thirsty. In any case, it came from Volvo, from whom Ford has severed ties.

Instead, the new RS will get a 2.3-litre four, with turbo, direct injection and balance shafts. This engine is timed to go into the Mustang in around 2014, but a RS Focus will probably get extra boost. The engine will also need to be re-engineered for the Focus's transverse mounting. Ford has now developed active noise cancellation and synthesis for the upcoming Mondeo, so the RS could get a tailored synthetic sound anyway.

All that thrust goes to the front wheels. You might wonder, why no Golf R-style 4WD? Well, it's true this platform does have a 4WD derivative, in the form of the next Kuga. But that's a high-riding crossover, and the 4WD system won't fit under a car on a lowered sports chassis without hacking away at the floor. Anyway, Jost Capito, Ford's global hot-car boss, has always said that 4WD adds too much weight for an RS, and that people wouldn't pay extra for it. Our contact says he hasn't changed his mind.

Besides, electronic torque-steer compensation is improving all the time (they claim it's effective on the ST) and the RS will revive the excellent RevoKnuckle front suspension from the old RS. ‘RevoKnuckle is not dead and you'll see it again' says our contact, ‘even though we don't use it on the ST because it's too expensive.' Note to suspension obsessives: the RenaultSport Megane does have something very similar to RevoKnuckle. So does the new 280bhp Astra VXR, and indeed all the Astra three-door range - Vauxhall calls it HiPer Strut.

Bolt to that RS chassis, some big brakes, and some fat tyres, and you've got enormous potential. Then wrap the bodyshell in a shouty set of spoilers and fill the cabin with gripper seats. Unlike the last RS, it will be a five-door. The endless rumours about bodystyles are just that: rumours, with no basis in fact. There's still no three-door or coupe planned for the current generation Focus. Still, as with the ST, an estate is a possibility.

It all adds up to a worthy next stage of high-quality blue-collar hoonery. Bring it on.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Needs to be awd or it won't sell well in the U.S. Also a 2.3 turbo 4 in the Mustang in 2014? dumb dumb dumb
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Go to Youtube and search Focus RS and find me one reviewer that hated it. In Europe they rave over this hot hatch. A lot would say its the best fwd one out their. It's basically the American equivilant of a Mustang GT/ Camaro SS.

Ford said adding AWD would require gutting through the interior, adding 200 lbs, and lowering fuel economy. Plus they have Revoknuckle suspension tech that they have a patent on. I'm sure from 2010 - 2015 they can improve on that for more impressive results. Also, i'd read its more fun to drive than even a Nissan GTR.

Here is a couple reviews for those unfamilier with Focus RS's in Europe.

2009 Focus RS review by 5th gear

Focus RS vs Nissan GTR

RS test drive

Top Gear - Ford Focus RS vs. Renault Megane R26R Part 1/2

As I said above. European's LOVE Ford.

Last edited by caseypayne69; 02-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not saying it won't be liked i just don't see people spending all that extra money on a Focus RS. The SVT Focus never took off when it was out either...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

True it will probably have a polar effect in the states. I for one will be waiting in line for it. Already have a savings plan in place to buy it soon as it hits.

I'll pay $30,000 tops for a base RS and call it ah day. Some would say, thats crazy but they don't realize your getting an amazing fun to drive car that can fit teh whole family in. Win win. I fully expect the Focus ST to come out at $24k - $25k and the RS to hit around $29K to $31K.

If it comes with 320 hp, expect around the same in torq and in a car that weighs 2,900 lbs. FUN.

Last edited by caseypayne69; 02-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

To a person that just wants a stockish car, then fwd is fine. A modded, high power fwd is worthless. My '97 Talon made 500whp on 93 octane and was terrible when it was fwd. ROlling 3rd gear burnouts may be cool, but they are not very fast.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a 2012 focus last year, and it was a nice car. However it felt gutless, i think this RS might change my mind on them.

i hope they messed up saying a turbo 4 banger will be in the mustang by 2014. That would really suck, cus then the camaro and challenger will most likely do the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I test drove a 2012 focus last year, and it was a nice car. However it felt gutless, i think this RS might change my mind on them.

i hope they messed up saying a turbo 4 banger will be in the mustang by 2014. That would really suck, cus then the camaro and challenger will most likely do the same.
I am sure they will offer a turbo 4 cylinder. It certainly won't be a top line model or anything, as it makes comparable power to the V6, but the turbo 4 would probably sell better globally.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I am sure they will offer a turbo 4 cylinder. It certainly won't be a top line model or anything, as it makes comparable power to the V6, but the turbo 4 would probably sell better globally.
thats kinda what im hoping for. Id love to have a nice turbo 4 banger for a DD. Dodge's caliber srt4 looks like **** IMO, and the cobalt ss seems to be a disposable car, and imports are a little too pricey. Hopefully, ford can add some class to these little 4 bangers at a decent price.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cobalts long gone... But yes its a glorified cavy with just as bad resale value.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I like this new Ford RS, looks pretty cool and seems to run pretty strong as well.
Even the current U.S. market Focus looks like a great daily driver, I'd probably have a tough time choosing between it and the Chevrolet Cruze if I were in the market.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Cool little car, but I think 35k would be a bit much for one. 28k, tops... It will sell well if they do that.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I love the idea of a turbo 2.3 I4 in the 2015 Mustang. If Ford is finding ways to share cost to lower the price of cars. Than so be it. Plus its a throw back idea.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
If Ford is finding ways to share cost to lower the price of cars. Than so be it. Plus its a throw back idea.
True, the famous SVO Mustangs of the '80s were pretty cool in their day.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I love the idea of a turbo 2.3 I4 in the 2015 Mustang. If Ford is finding ways to share cost to lower the price of cars. Than so be it. Plus its a throw back idea.
I'm not sure what Ford will save in this case, considering they'll have to engineer a new transmission(or at least a bell housing and clutch system) for the rear drive car and it's surely the only RWD they'll put that engine in with the Ranger gone and the Explorer now a FWD base, like the Escape.

That old 2.3L was a mighty little engine in the proper hands. For that reason alone, I've been thinking for ages now, Ford is missing with the Mustang, and now the V6 is over 300hp... Can't tell if they'll release a 300+hp 2.3L, but I can tell... It's almost downright hilarious to see a Mustang run 9's and then find out it's powered by a SOHC 2.3L! Can't say I have any idea where the limits with the current rendition end, but it should indeed make for a reminder of the past.

Best part is... ECONOMY!

Quick Reply: Exclusive: news on the 2015 Focus RS