Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Z06 beats ZR1 @ Spring Mountain

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Z06 beats ZR1 @ Spring Mountain

You guys see the April Road & Track where Tom Milner drove all (4) 2012Vette moldes + the C6.R around Spring Mountain Motor Sports Ranch? Z06 beat the ZR1 by 7 lengths or 0.84 seconds. As tested price difference was $28K. Although, base versions of the two models are $36K apart. Granted, the ZR1 beat the Z06 @ the Nurburgring. I still don't get the transverse leaf spring design, but, doesn't seem do negatively effect handling.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was their short course, so it's not hard to believe, although I don't think you could draw many conclusions from their findings. Put them on a tiny, tight auto-x course with a Miata, and you'd probably get results that favor the Miata, but it doesn't mean the Miata is the better car.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

1.5 miles is long enough that the ZR1 should be better for the $. Interesting that you mention a Miata. My Miata "the Munster" can beat 'em both on any paved road course; drivers being equal. So, that might not be the best analogy to use, lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How did the C6R compare?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by LS1-450
1.5 miles is long enough that the ZR1 should be better for the $. Interesting that you mention a Miata. My Miata "the Munster" can beat 'em both on any paved road course; drivers being equal. So, that might not be the best analogy to use, lol.
My opinion is based on listening to their head driving instructor tell me with a straight face that he could get around their 2.2 mile course in a C6 Grand Sport just as fast as a ZR1. After watching the guy drive, I believed him.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
How did the C6R compare?
If I'm not mistaken, the C6R wiped the floor with all of them.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6R was over 6 seconds faster than the Z06.

Repost btw, might wanna add this link to your post so people can read the article.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...tte-fever.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/corvette-fever

Last edited by djsanchez2; 03-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes a lot of sense on a short course. If they both had all of the suspension and braking items, the lower weight of the Z06 would help in braking and cornering, with nowhere for the ZR1 to apply its power advantage.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read that article, just got it in the mail a couple of days ago or so. Z06 is an impressive performer for sure, but, like I said, I still feel like it's just too much money though. Once you start adding any kind of options to it, the price just gets kind of ridiculous for what you're getting.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I still don't get the transverse leaf spring design
* Less unsprung weight. Coil springs contribute to unsprung weight; the less there is, the more quickly the wheel can respond at a given spring rate.

* Less weight. The C4 Corvette's composite front leaf weighed 1/3 as much as the pair of conventional coil springs it would replace. Volvo reported that the single composite leaf spring used in the rear suspension of the 960 Wagon had the same mass as just one of the two springs it replaced.[8]

* Weight is positioned lower. Coil springs and the associated chassis hard mounts raise the center of mass of the car.

* Superior wear characteristics. The Corvette's composite leaf springs last longer than coils, though in a car as light as the Corvette, the difference is not especially significant. No composite Corvette leaf has ever been replaced due to fatigue failure, though steel leafs from 1963 to 1983 have been. As of 1980, the composite spring was an option on the C3.

* As used on the Corvette, ride height can be adjusted by changing the length of the end links connecting the leaf to the suspension arms. This allows small changes in ride height with minimal effects on the spring rate.

* Also as used on the C4 front suspension, C5, and C6 Corvettes, the leaf spring acts as an anti-roll bar, allowing for smaller and lighter bars than if the car were equipped with coil springs. As implemented on the C3 and C4 rear suspensions with a rigid central mount, the anti-roll effect does not occur.

* Packaging. As used on the C5 and later Corvettes the use of OEM coil over damper springs would have forced the chassis engineers to either vertically raise the shock towers or move them inward. In the rear this would have reduced trunk space. In the front this would have interfered with engine packaging. The use of the leaf spring allowed the spring to be placed out of the way under the chassis and while keeping the diameter of the shock absorber assembly to that of just the damper rather than damper and spring.

Carroll Smith is quoted in his book, 'Engineer to Win':

If I were involved in the design of a new passenger vehicle, however, I would give serious consideration to the use of a transverse composite single leaf spring of unidirectional glass or carbon filament in an epoxy matrix. This would be the lightest practical spring configuration and, although space constraints would seem to limit its use in racing, it should be perfectly feasible on road-going vehicles, from large trucks to small commuter cars. (Since I wrote this paragraph the new-generation Corvette has come out with just such a spring to control its independent suspension systems-at both end of the car.)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^

Quite informative. Thank-you for posting. Never consider the unsprung weight savings. Although, I do know that the C6R uses coil overs. Don't know if it's required by specs for their class or not.

BTW, all Vettes later than C4 do very well on our road course. Driver specific of course. The pros who come to practice on open track days in their lowered Vettes w/ pig fat slicks, literally fly around the track.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
My opinion is based on listening to their head driving instructor tell me with a straight face that he could get around their 2.2 mile course in a C6 Grand Sport just as fast as a ZR1. After watching the guy drive, I believed him.

If I'm not mistaken, the C6R wiped the floor with all of them.

Did you talk to Victor a Spring Mtn?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Did you talk to Victor a Spring Mtn?
Rick Malone.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I think that it's a good thing that the Z06 topped the ZL1 in "one instance." The Z06 is the top of the line model & should perform @ a high level. The ZL1 has historical significance, but, is more of a collectors' nestalgic model, IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 beats ZR1 @ Spring Mountain