Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds First-Drive - 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds First-Drive - 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Aging Gracefully, but Not Quietly

The big grille split by the front bumper cribs from the Shelby GT500, and we're just fine with that.

By Mark Takahashi, Automotive Editor | Published Mar 21, 2012

At first glance, it's not obvious that the 2013 Ford Mustang GT has had some work done.

Yet even in the sullen grayness of a rain-soaked Portland, Oregon, we slowly start to pick out the enhancements made to the iconic coupe as it nears its 50th anniversary.

The little nips and tucks haven't rendered the Mustang unrecognizable. Instead, they amount to a few subtle enhancements that freshen up its appearance. Underneath the skin it's much the same story, a few minor upgrades to the proven formula. So this Mustang's soul is still clearly intact, but now it has a little added spring in its step.

What's New, Old Friend?

The new LED accent light strips on the 2013 Ford Mustang are like war paint on a war horse.

While the revisions to the 2013 Ford Mustang seem slight, there's actually a long list of changes and additions. Up front, the headlights are flanked by two LED accent strips, and those HID headlights are now standard across the entire Mustang lineup. A new, more pronounced grille that picks up some aggressive cues from the Shelby GT500 is also standard. The upper and lower inlets now appear as one unified grille that is split by the bumper. The hood also sports some new vents, and yes, they do actually help expel heat from the engine bay.

A walk around to the side of the Mustang reveals a few new wheel designs, some painted gloss black with machined alloy accents. The rocker panels are now painted to match the rest of the body, whereas before they were black plastic. Heated mirrors are now available, and get this: new puddle lamps project the pony logo on the ground when the car is unlocked. The Mustang faithful are sure to love them.

The most noticeable styling change for 2013, however, can be seen from behind. The taillights are now made up of three segmented LEDs outlined with smoked centers that illuminate under braking (the center segment switches to bright white in reverse). Between the taillights is a new gloss-black panel to tie it all together. The rear fascia also features more body-colored paint to replace the previous model's black plastic.

You've Been Working Out

The Mustang's new LED taillights really catch your eye from a distance.

The 2013 Ford Mustang boasts a few new features on the inside, too. Most notable is the addition of a 4.2-inch color display between the tach and speedo. As with other Ford vehicles, this sharp screen shows the usual trip information, but this one ups the ante with a new suite of Track Apps that allows you to call up a host of "track-only" performance meters.

Naturally, one app tests your acceleration skills. You can choose either an automatic start (once you start your run) or a nifty drag strip Christmas tree countdown light. Braking times (not distances) are also logged and an accelerometer measures lateral and longitudinal g-loads on a bull's-eye readout.

The 2013 Mustang's cabin can also be upgraded with the Recaro sport seats that were previously only available on the Boss 302 and GT500 variants: either in leather or cloth coverings. Additionally, there are two premium audio upgrades offered: a 370-watt Shaker system and a 550-watt Shaker Pro setup, with eight and nine speakers, respectively. A new Sync AppLink feature also debuts, allowing for smartphone integration with iHeartRadio, Pandora and Twitter.

More Than Just Bells and Whistles

The Track Apps are sure to be a hit with aspiring racers. But the speedometer is just as illegible as before.

Before you start crying foul that it's all about fashion and features, there are some mechanical upgrades worth mentioning. The 5.0-liter V8 in the GT sees a very modest increase in power, from 412 horsepower to 420 hp, thanks to piston and ring coatings from the Boss 302. More importantly, the six-speed automatic transmission gets Ford's SelectShift control, which allows you to select and hold a gear via a rocker switch located on the side of the shifter.

We still contend that the manual gearbox is the way to go, but certainly understand that the majority of drivers nowadays will gravitate toward the automatic. Fortunately, the SelectShift six-speed manages to deliver enough excitement to warrant the compromise.

In Drive, the shifts are almost undetectably smooth under a conservative right foot. Pushed harder, the shifts are more decisive and well-timed. Drop it into Sport mode and the gears stretch even longer, while the downshifts arrive right where you expect them. Kicking the tail out is understandably harder with the automatic, requiring a very aggressive lift and stomp on the accelerator. Still, it is possible, so the auto isn't all bad.

Using the manual control buttons also demands a bit more delicacy than the typical push/pull shifters. Upshifts need to be requested just a beat earlier than you'd expect, and downshifts require at least a second or two of planning. They're not rev-matched either, but when going from 3rd to 2nd gear were met by a smooth transition rather than an unceremonious lurch forward.

Dynamically, the 2013 Mustang we drove on the rain-slicked roads around Oregon wasn't much different from the current model. There's ample compliance in the suspension to smooth out road imperfections, yet enough athleticism to confidently toss it into the curves. The stability control also carries over, allowing the slightest of slip angles before gently intervening. The cabin is pleasantly quiet in terms of road and wind noise — perhaps too quiet, as we'd prefer to hear more of the V8 burble that we find oh so intoxicating. If you're expecting to feel much of a difference in the way the 2013 model handles compared to the 2012 GT, you're going to have to pay very close attention.

The More Things Change...

Proof that the hood vents do indeed serve a purpose.

All things considered, the 2013 Ford Mustang has received a lot of enhancements that don't get in the way of its core attributes. It's still the same raucous tire-smoking beast that brings a smile to anyone with a pulse. But there's the nagging question that always comes along with a Mustang update: Should you wait for the next redesign?

Well, the Mustang turns 50 years old in the middle of 2014 and Ford design chief J Mays says that it will be a game-changer. Then again, he says that about just about everything.

Speculation aside, there's so much good stuff on this Mustang that waiting for something better seems almost greedy. We're already talking about a Mustang GT with 420 horses, a very capable suspension and every last comfort and convenience feature. Toss in the subtle design upgrades and it doesn't look like there's much room for improvement. We're sure Ford will think of something, but you're not going to feel the slightest bit cheated if you buy this one instead.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take one in blue please
Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sick! One of the best cars available for the money right now.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The only reason I'd consider a new Camaro over this new Mustang is due to the cost of internally modding the two engines. If you plan on keeping it stock or just doing headers/catback, the Mustang is the clear-cut winner.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The only reason I'd consider a new Camaro over this new Mustang is due to the cost of internally modding the two engines. If you plan on keeping it stock or just doing headers/catback, the Mustang is the clear-cut winner.
Finally somenoe that understands a danm thing about the 5th gens and the new 5.0s. It is substantially cheaper to mod an LS3 than a 5.0. And what still bothers me is that the only reason the new 5.0 GT's are faster is because the 5th gen platform is a POS... among the worst GM has made to date. I guess I'm biased though, all I give about is straightline performance Everyone knowadays for whatever reason likes to take their heavy domestic around a track... which is pretty stupid if you as me. You wana be fast around a track get an LS1/T56 miata sheesh. So out of all that I just read I still didn't read anything important...

What does it run in the 1/4?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by need2speed94
5th gen platform is a POS
Depends on how you look at it. You are grading it solely on weight, in which case it is not great. The chassis itself from other metrics is far from a POS.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Depends on how you look at it. You are grading it solely on weight, in which case it is not great. The chassis itself from other metrics is far from a POS.
Yeah as I also said, I'm pretty biased in the sense that I just want straight line performance. It isn't half bad around the track for what it is, but it cuold be Greatly improved to better it's straight line And turn handling. Whatever they design it for, it needs to be LIGHTER... SMH GM Hopefully they'll pull their head outta their *** with the 6th gen platform. I'm hoping for an F Body based platform with more modern suspension, lighter weight, and a Gen IV motor as a powerplant. *fingers are crossed
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm hoping for an F Body based platform with more modern suspension, lighter weight, and a Gen IV motor as a powerplant. *fingers are crossed
Read up on the Cadillac ATS, which is the same platform the new Camaro will have. The weight is coming down, just pray the power doesn't come down with it.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Read up on the Cadillac ATS, which is the same platform the new Camaro will have. The weight is coming down, just pray the power doesn't come down with it.
Yeah I saw something about that on a page on FB, can't remember which one but I think I remember reading something about one of the engine options being a direct injected variant of the LS series similar to the motor that will debut in the C7 Corvette. I may be wrong but that would be pretty cool if it got a D.I. LS!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like you just need a $4k shortblock and blower/turbo kit to push 4 digit power levels though. Sure, cams are more expensive, but you don't need tham to make crazy power.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
Seems like you just need a $4k shortblock and blower/turbo kit to push 4 digit power levels though. Sure, cams are more expensive, but you don't need tham to make crazy power.
You definitely don't need a new shortblock to make 4 figures, the LS3 is a damn good motor. You might want to pickup a forged rotating assembly but the block itself will hold. Speaking of swapping cams, it'd be much more expensive on a 5.0 since you have to buy 4 instead of 1 and all the valvtrain upgrades.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

You definitely don't need a new shortblock to make 4 figures, the LS3 is a damn good motor. You might want to pickup a forged rotating assembly but the block itself will hold. Speaking of swapping cams, it'd be much more expensive on a 5.0 since you have to buy 4 instead of 1 and all the valvtrain upgrades.
By "shortblock" I am referring to a factory block with forged internals. You most certainly need that for a Camaro as well. The 4k price actually includes buying a new block and crank as well assembly It is not even a "might" for an LS motor with a goal of 1000whp.

FWIW, MANY stock motors are making more than 700whp and holding up fine with stock heads and cams.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'm biased though, all I give about is straightline performance Everyone knowadays for whatever reason likes to take their heavy domestic around a track... which is pretty stupid if you as me.
Go to a track, drag racing is down right boring in comparison.
You wana be fast around a track get an LS1/T56 miata sheesh.
If you are willing to go though all the modding to end up with a car that can't compete in any class based racing. Your better off getting a C5 Z06 and modding it...
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
By "shortblock" I am referring to a factory block with forged internals. You most certainly need that for a Camaro as well. The 4k price actually includes buying a new block and crank as well assembly It is not even a "might" for an LS motor with a goal of 1000whp.

FWIW, MANY stock motors are making more than 700whp and holding up fine with stock heads and cams.
Alright, usually when people say shortblock they refer to the block itself And the rotating assembly, I misunderstood you. But yes, once you get a nice rotating assembly into an LS, the block itself does a good job of holding the power. Gotta love them 6 bolt mains. I don't understand though... LS1 cranks are good for an upwards of 900whp but everything else about the rotating assembly decides to poop out anywhere from stock power up to 600whp. I threw a rod with an untouched motor
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2013 GT is damn nice. Since I don't fit in the 5th Gen Camaro the Mustang is the one I keep looking at. Not that I plan to buy one anytime soon if ever....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I like it, but for now... Still pass. I can't justify a new car simply because it looks great and has all the "stuff" I want in it! I need it for fun, which makes it a want rather than a need.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fan of the taillights... I don't know?

Quick Reply: Edmunds First-Drive - 2013 Ford Mustang GT