Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford to Completely Ruin the Mustang for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The intelligence level of this thread seems to be deteriorating.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Ford should focus on bringing over the Focus RS for Gen Y. I am Gen Y and though I don't speak for everyone, I don't have the same connection and sentimental value for v8's. Let the baby boomers have their mustangs as well as other fans from Gen Y, but bring the rest of us the Focus RS. I'd rather a light weight 350hp turbo fwd than the Mustang GT or GT500, I don't care if the v8 is faster.
I doubt we'll ever see a factory stock 350hp FOCUS... Main reason is, it's too hard on the drive train. I've read of a 305hp version in Europe, and even seen a test drive. It did perform wonderfully, even in rain. They said Ford nearly worked out all the wheel hop issues and so forth, always associated with "powerful" FWD platforms which aren't also very heavy.

Ford knows that the Mustang certainly isn't only about the baby boomers. After all, they've been selling it since 1964, when the boomers were learning how to drive in many cases and had been only for a short time in others. It was "cool" on the cheap. The "trend" continued though... in 1979, we saw a new Fox body and that one didn't sell as well as the original(few models ever did), but it birthed an entirely new generation of Mustang enthusiasts. Most of those are under 50 and still buy cars. Plus, even the newest drivers like the Mustang.

Ford may offer the Mustang with a TT V6 soon... That would be "cool" for many of us, but it wouldn't satisfy everyone. The FOCUS ST is coming soon... It may not be the RS, but it's about as close as we'll get. I like it personally, but I don't figure on getting one for many reasons. The main reason, it lacks RWD and I still think the steering and the drive wheels are better on opposite ends of the vehicle. Maybe a RWS would be better??
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Aston Martin and Jaguar styling cues have been pillaged by Hyundai and Kia lately. It was nice when it was on an expensive car but diluted now that is in other brands. I have had enough of retro but another AM or Jaguar bastardization is hardly an improvement.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Edmunds chop

lol
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

That looks sharp
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TriShield
Edmunds chop

lol
Looks like an Eclipse had sex with a Mustang......
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

This...

Originally Posted by TriShield
As Baby Boomers Reminisce, Ford Aims to Save Brand With European Look to Draw Younger Buyers

The change is part of a bid to make the Mustang appeal to Generation Y, the roughly 80 million people who were born between 1980 and 1999. This demographic group is entering its peak car-buying years. Cars that their parents drive—and hark back to the days of Woodstock, 20 years before they were born—don’t really interest them.

and this...

Originally Posted by Rawr256

Part of the battle they at least acknowledge is, currently many kids really don't care for cars with the lack of them having a licence. If they have to, they are 100% contempt getting behind the wheel of a Camry and doing the lame excuse of "i just go from point a to point b" and do so being a crappy driver.
I sit around Gen Y and younger all day long, in suburban and urban locations, and most of those kids don't give a crap about cars. Many of them see them as a problem: pollution, time waster ("I could be working on my iPad on the train instead of driving"), and a drain on what money they have. (college debt, low pay, whatever the financial driver is). Many of the older ones, that in generations past would be thinking about marriage, and owning a home soon, are still single and live at home (see finances...lack of).

I have heard this issue, about younger buyers, brought up on multiple news sources, and car manufacturers are worried. From what I have heard, they have reason to be worried.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully GM does not follow this cue by Ford and completely screw up the Camaro. That rendering is positively hideous!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why would you want a FWD car, none the less a FWD car over a RWD one???
Give me light weight RWD V8 over FWD egg shaped turd...
This is the sentiment of most of the younger generations.

The idea of owning 2 or 3 cars is a thing of the past. Most now are lucky to own 1. when you own 1 car it needs to be able to do everything you want it to do. Which means performance, utility, mpg, and the ability to easily go through snow. I know some will say rwd can but it cant with the same easy that fwd can. Turbo cars are also becoming more powerful while delivering better mpg then v8s.

The younger generations also dont have the money to spend on cars. we are strapped with higher debt and lower paying jobs. the ability to go out and buy a 35+ even after leaving college and in the work force for a few years is a unreachable goal for most.

The world around us is changing its as simple as that. If the car manufactures insist on stayin in the past they will stay there and become history like edsle, amc, rambler and the rest who could successful adapt to change .
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1203
This is the sentiment of most of the younger generations.

The idea of owning 2 or 3 cars is a thing of the past. Most now are lucky to own 1. when you own 1 car it needs to be able to do everything you want it to do. Which means performance, utility, mpg, and the ability to easily go through snow.
And out of that FWD only offers potential to be "good" in the snow. It offers lack luster performance compared to Rwd (especially in feel), and utility and mpg are questionable.

I know some will say rwd can but it cant with the same easy that fwd can. Turbo cars are also becoming more powerful while delivering better mpg then v8s.
I hear this a lot and am still waiting for someone to make a turbo car that makes more power and gets significantly better gas mileage than our "old tech" pushrod V8s. Im seeing the LSx's still get better gas mileage AND make more power/torque (also while not having to rev to the moon). To top it all off the LSx's end up being lighter/smaller/cheaper than the turbo engines...

The younger generations also dont have the money to spend on cars. we are strapped with higher debt and lower paying jobs. the ability to go out and buy a 35+ even after leaving college and in the work force for a few years is a unreachable goal for most.
I don't think anyone expects a young graduate to be buying a brand new car...

The world around us is changing its as simple as that. If the car manufactures insist on stayin in the past they will stay there and become history like edsle, amc, rambler and the rest who could successful adapt to change .
The world is always changing, im not sure where you are going with this. The automakers are always adapting and trying new things. If anything AWD is the way to go.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
And out of that FWD only offers potential to be "good" in the snow. It offers lack luster performance compared to Rwd (especially in feel), and utility and mpg are questionable.

I hear this a lot and am still waiting for someone to make a turbo car that makes more power and gets significantly better gas mileage than our "old tech" pushrod V8s. Im seeing the LSx's still get better gas mileage AND make more power/torque (also while not having to rev to the moon). To top it all off the LSx's end up being lighter/smaller/cheaper than the turbo engines...

I don't think anyone expects a young graduate to be buying a brand new car...

The world is always changing, im not sure where you are going with this. The automakers are always adapting and trying new things. If anything AWD is the way to go.
It went right over you head. The younger kids that are coming out of college aren't as into performance cars as we as the baby boomers and other generations. There priorities and the way they perceive things are different. They are more geared to be green and conserve natural resources. The idea of owning multiple cars is a wast to them. like I said they want to own one car that is versatile and usually put an emphasis on MPG and utility rather then speed and hp. this is echoed is the post you quoted and said why would you want fwd. thats what I mean times are changing.

It offers lack luster performance to rwd? are you talking from a driving stand point? because if so that would be subjective. Every one doesn't think like you do trust me. It was a huge shock when I went back to college and started talking to people who are 8-10+ years younger then me and how turned off they were that I had 3 cars and 2 of them are as they put it gas hogs.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1203
It went right over you head. The younger kids that are coming out of college aren't as into performance cars as we as the baby boomers and other generations. There priorities and the way they perceive things are different. They are more geared to be green and conserve natural resources. The idea of owning multiple cars is a wast to them. like I said they want to own one car that is versatile and usually put an emphasis on MPG and utility rather then speed and hp. this is echoed is the post you quoted and said why would you want fwd. thats what I mean times are changing.
Ah, yes I didn't understand what you were getting at then, but you took my original quote out of context.
Look what I was replying to:
"I'd rather a light weight 350hp turbo fwd than the Mustang GT or GT500, I don't care if the v8 is faster."
Now obviously he is looking for at least some performance, and likely not gas mileage (otherwise why not a prius for example?).

It offers lack luster performance to rwd? are you talking from a driving stand point? because if so that would be subjective.
Apples to apples FWD doesn't have the traction RWD does when launching, and FWD is inferior for handling and braking(all the weight over the nose with the transversely mounted engine) as well. That is a fact.
Every one doesn't think like you do trust me. It was a huge shock when I went back to college and started talking to people who are 8-10+ years younger then me and how turned off they were that I had 3 cars and 2 of them are as they put it gas hogs.
Sounds like you went to college with a bunch of hippies...
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't mind a more modern looking design, but only if it has a kick *** drive train. If it is a front wheel drive 4 cylinder, they better not call it a Mustang.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have faith in the mustang model, and don't really buy all of these rumors. In the last three years we have gotten a refreshed model, a complete and arguably class leading drivetrain improvement on both v6 for 30mpg as well as the v8's, managed to beat a $70k M3 around a track for half the price, how bout that BOSS 302...and just recently released the most powerful v8 production car ever that doesn't get the gas guzzler tax imposed on it!?! I'd say the horrible blue oval has done their homework and will continue to improve upon their flagship model. Im sure they'll go with a IRS system for the international market and will scale down the car a bit, but I'll believe the rest when I see it.

The great Mr. Shelby himself said for years they would have something special for the 50th anniversary, which is around the time the next generation mustang is suppose to come to showrooms...

edit: mustang may not be the flagship model, but who thinks ford without thinking mustang or F-150? mustang being first in my book.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Ford knows that they have to get it right. The Mustang is their name plate and one of their best selling cars.

If I had to guess it will be a more muscular version of a European design.

I just hope it doesn't look like the pictures the OP posted
Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ha-Ha.
Probe
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Looks like ford took mazdas shinari rx concet and slapped a mustang badge on it -.-
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

used mustangs have just tripled in value.

Quick Reply: Ford to Completely Ruin the Mustang for 2014