Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latter part of this video really illustrates the difference in total engineering between the new Japanese coupe and American muscle cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hg...layer_embedded

And the Subaru is doing all of this on standard tires versus the Mustang's expensive Pirellis.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
The latter part of this video really illustrates the difference in total engineering between the new Japanese coupe and American muscle cars.
That's been the case since the 240Z. Nothing seems new about it to me.

And the Subaru is doing all of this on standard tires versus the Mustang's expensive Pirellis.
Why then, are the 215/45/17 Michelin Primacy HP tires touted at "summer tires" by InsideLine? Michelin also calls them summer tires and they're listed as a "PILOT" brand as well.

Tire type Asymmetrical summer, low-rolling resistance
That's what they call them... http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...full-test.html

I'm not saying Pirelli's aren't better, but it is what it is in EACH, not just one, case. The Subaru is also doing all this on 700+ lb less weight... Why not mention that little factoid?

The FR-S also has DI, which is a big deal, considering most cars gain so much power from it(and this one did too), leaving tuners a bit further from upgrades on their own, although it won't be impossible.

Also, I noticed a 35.4' turning circle, making me wonder if the 17+ was indeed a misprint.

The FR-S is apparently even better than the Subaru BRZ, but it does "all this" about as well as the Mustang V6, which isn't great(but it's good). Still, the Mustang beats it in a drag race, zero to 60mph, and on a road course...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
***Repost Police***

"low rolling-resistance" because they're the same model tire used on the Prius...which means not very good. And you know as well as anybody that this car isn't about the numbers. This car, as much as any car made, is about feel.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
"low rolling-resistance" because they're the same model tire used on the Prius...which means not very good. And you know as well as anybody that this car isn't about the numbers. This car, as much as any car made, is about feel.
I don't care which cars they're used on, the point is the same... They're considered SUMMER tires, just exactly as are the tires on the Mustang (which beat it in all racing) that tips the scales at about 750 lb more... The fact our lopsided wannabe "journalist" mentioned over and over in the video, that the Mustang has summer tires while the Scion does not, is what I was really addressing. The fact is, both cars are on summer tires, that's all.

The "feel" aspect is lost on me with this one. After all, if "feel" is all I'm after, I'll take a 2002 ZO6 or a 1996 Viper GTS and leave this thing from Toyaru where it is... rather than driving it.

Yes, it's got its cool points, but for a sports car, this is a joke of an offering. Gimme a Miata instead, really.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Miata, no. S2000, sure.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Miata, no. S2000, sure.
Yeah, I think the Miata would look pretty pitiful compared to this car, especially after watching that video. Also, I don't think this car is bad, but I personally like the S2000 a heck of a lot better. I would choose a nice AP2 over this any day.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The "feel" aspect is lost on me with this one. After all, if "feel" is all I'm after, I'll take a 2002 ZO6 or a 1996 Viper GTS and leave this thing from Toyaru where it is... rather than driving it.
No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

There's a massive difference between manhandling a car that is put together with screws and a car that is completely telepathic, a part of you and feels fluidly and purposely engineered for performance.

A really old Corvette and Viper are the polar opposite of the latter.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

There's a massive difference between manhandling a car that is put together with screws and a car that is completely telepathic, a part of you and feels fluidly and purposely engineered for performance.

Okay then... You take the BR-S... then go race one of those old "put together with screws" cars and see how well that works for you. For the record, I think the BR-S will lose 100% of the time. For the price, I am simply one of millions who will more than gladly take a pass. It's not what it's cracked up to be, according to it's actual capabilities, regardless how it takes a hold on emotions.

If you think this is any real indication of what a "purposely engineered for performance" car is, I suggest you actually go drive some decent cars for a change of pace, and raise your standards at the same time.

Any car that loses to a V6 Mustang in a drag race AND a road course... Not my idea of a "purposely engineered for performance." That's just my humble opinion and you are entitled to yours.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Okay then... You take the BR-S... then go race one of those old "put together with screws" cars and see how well that works for you. For the record, I think the BR-S will lose 100% of the time. For the price, I am simply one of millions who will more than gladly take a pass. It's not what it's cracked up to be, according to it's actual capabilities, regardless how it takes a hold on emotions.

If you think this is any real indication of what a "purposely engineered for performance" car is, I suggest you actually go drive some decent cars for a change of pace, and raise your standards at the same time.

Any car that loses to a V6 Mustang in a drag race AND a road course... Not my idea of a "purposely engineered for performance." That's just my humble opinion and you are entitled to yours.
You can't judge a car by its stats only. You clearly have no idea what is meant when we refer to the feel of a car. It's intangible. I have yet to drive a FR-S/BR-Z, but I have driven a V6 Mustang (Dad has one). Let's just say I prefer my mom's Subaru Forester because of the way the car feels, at least for every day driving and the occasional on/offramp. If I really want to push it, I'll take the stang, but the scooby feels lighter and more tossable, and thus more fun.

Also, a V6 Mustang isn't the slow POS it used to be.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
True, I think the quickest bone stock one has already gone 13.5s and 102+mph.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Miata, no. S2000, sure.
I would take a first or second gen modded Miata over this car modded any day.

You're really going to try and argue that a Z06 and a GTS are cars with poor feedback and weren't purposely engineered for performance? All while talking about a car that WASN'T purposely engineered for performance, but for having a fun driving car?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
You can't judge a car by its stats only.
Who are you to tell anyone such a thing? Not everyone considers the exact same things, like how a car feels, as real factors of performance. A car that feels like it performs well is great... unless it doesn't. Feel is an emotional thought whereas road holding ability is a real factor.

When the car in question is specifically labelled as a performance sports car, it certainly should perform like one. The FR-S, though it's cute like my youngest niece, also offers about the same things in life... A way to waste my time and money taking it out to play... Neither is going to be much fun for me at the end of the day, but she has a great time... if the car could "feel" our emotions, it may or may not...

You clearly have no idea what is meant when we refer to the feel of a car. It's intangible.
Oh... So you're on that band wagon that this car has that "intangible" that we, somehow, some ridiculously clueless way, cannot get from a 1997-present Corvette or a 1996 Viper GTS.... Got it. The "intangible" is above my head...

Personally, I will never buy a teeny tiny 4-seater based on how well I think it melds to my pale ***... or how well I feel it handles. I will pick based on overall performance or luxuriousness, but not "feels intangible."

I have yet to drive a FR-S/BR-Z, but I have driven a V6 Mustang (Dad has one). Let's just say I prefer my mom's Subaru Forester because of the way the car feels, at least for every day driving and the occasional on/offramp. If I really want to push it, I'll take the stang, but the scooby feels lighter and more tossable, and thus more fun.
If you've not driven it, how do you know how great it feels? I mean, I don't have to drive one to tell you it's rather slow... I do, however, to tell you it "feels" some way or another.

I'm aware, and the reality is still the same... It's the least performing new Mustang available. Come to think of it... The FR-S is probably considered the least performing of it's configuration too... including the 86 and the BRZ(which apparently isn't as good in reality). We're talking about a car that beat the standard MX-5 by a bit over 2 seconds on a lap of Twin Ring Motegi by a short margin, in a best of 3 test.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a Scion but there the same thing lol... I think this one looks pretty sick! If only they had a engine that made 3xx hp

Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

The Sti and TRD versions should make close to that.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

I bought one of these cars and it handles amazing. just like in your ls cars you had to start somewhere and build it up. Power to weight ratio these cars are perfect for an ls swap or even turbo. This car wasn't built for straight line it was built for some back road fun. But here is proof they have great potential http://youtu.be/xVbfUtxQ_sw
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a "sporty" econocar, when you are slower then many SUV's, sedans and even station wagons that are available, hard to consider this a "sports car". Sports car tend to have power as part of their overall equation, with 200 hp this is severely underpowered.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

What a turd. Sounds like the ideal "sports car" for a woman.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LEO
It is a "sporty" econocar, when you are slower then many SUV's, sedans and even station wagons that are available, hard to consider this a "sports car". Sports car tend to have power as part of their overall equation, with 200 hp this is severely underpowered.
The classical definition of sports car puts no emphasis on straight-line speed. Some of the best sports cars in history are "slow."
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

The classical definition of sports car puts no emphasis on straight-line speed. Some of the best sports cars in history are "slow."
Word..

What in the hell is a Miata? A TR6? A Spitfire? Hell, there were underpowered Corvettes in the 70s too. Were they stripped of their sports car status temporarily?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"Slow" sports cars are gay.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Scion FR-S lightweight RWD coupe